Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: I want your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    You can be an Elite player on the rams and suck because everyone around you sucks.. Everybody needs to contribute its not a 1 man team.
    One player covering for 53.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    You can be an Elite player on the rams and suck because everyone around you sucks.. Everybody needs to contribute its not a 1 man team.
    Agreed football is the ultimate team sport so much depends on the guy next to you. In the right systems SJ could run for 2000 yards. But we must keep certain parts and add to them to get better. Iím hoping Spags in management knows what they are doing they only had one draft we shall see. As for some of the players it has to be that they just canít play.
    :ramlogo:

longfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    yes i know Gibson played before he came here...so where have you read or seen that he has a problem catching the ball? because he only has played in one game but didnt make a catch? maybe he only took a few snaps and wasnt thrown to..

Spoon wouldnt have made a difference to the outcome on sunday..he did play in the previous 16 defeats..and has been outplayed by rookies and journeymen. out of the 17 teams to defeat us on this losing streak the Colts are the best team weve lost to,if spoon couldnt change the outcome of games against lesser teams i cant see what difference he would have made on sunday.
    what he does now in the future for the Eagles where he`s surrounded in talent means nothing in regard to wether we should have kept him or not,because under our current circumstances he has proven that he couldnt help us get out of it.
    what will help us is a wide reciever to develop..(even if your so far unproven claims about him being unable to catch the ball are proved true) a 5th round pick(nobody knows who that will be or if we use that to trade for a proven vet with upside) and over 6 million dollars in cap space next year (to get a good F.A. signing out of..)

the EJD has sounded like a road game for the last couple of years when we had Spoon i dont see what difference keeping a player who for whatever reason wasnt able to perform to a standard that would help us change that... would do.

as for your comments about not wishing to discuss this any further..thats fine..i havent got a problem with people not agreeing with anything i say..but if you dont want a reply..then maybe telling your dog that Gibson cant catch would be more suitable than saying it on a discussion board geared for people to discuss football.

i agree with the comment about me not replying... felt funny typing it, immediately edited...

you must have been on the reply quick.. i just dont want to seem argumentative and after re-reading my post.. thats exactly what i seemed.. i respect your opinion but at the same time i think we missed WW on sunday.. you obviously dont..

is it coincidence that this is the first time in spags eyes that we laid down ??

theres more to slash and burn tactics than just the player involved.. it effects everyone on that side of the ball and anyone who cared for the man as a friend..

this team has to feel like this year is over already.. and no need to get hurt..

the crowd observation was one i made because this was the first time THIS year it happened.. IIRC..

it appears the playoff bound eagles are more than happy with the guy that didnt perform to yours and the rams standards....

he performed to mine..

thats all i meant..

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Once you can win the battle up front on Offensive and Defensive Lines, then, and only then can your atheltes and skill players achieve full potential
    So true. While the offense gets all the bad press(rightfully deserved), the D is being held back by a rather poor DL. Sunday, both Little and Long had very bad games and the Colts' skill guys easily dominated. There is a urgent need for a DE and a bruising UT this off-season.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Once you can win the battle up front on Offensive and Defensive Lines, then, and only then can your atheltes and skill players achieve full potential
    If the offensive line is so horrible, how do we explain Steven Jackson having such great statistics running the ball?

We've changed our offensive line pretty much every year for the last 5 years. We routinely have an average running game (at worse) but we keep hearing how horrible the line is in front of him. At some point, can we not look at the other constant (Bulger) as an excuse when everything else changes and they are successful in other areas?

I agree 100% that Spoon is benefiting from better players in front of him. On the interception, the pass was deflected by anothe player making a play on the ball. It wasn't a solo effort.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longfan View Post
    i agree with the comment about me not replying... felt funny typing it, immediately edited...

you must have been on the reply quick.. i just dont want to seem argumentative and after re-reading my post.. thats exactly what i seemed.. i respect your opinion but at the same time i think we missed WW on sunday.. you obviously dont..

is it coincidence that this is the first time in spags eyes that we laid down ??

theres more to slash and burn tactics than just the player involved.. it effects everyone on that side of the ball and anyone who cared for the man as a friend..

this team has to feel like this year is over already.. and no need to get hurt..

the crowd observation was one i made because this was the first time THIS year it happened.. IIRC..

it appears the playoff bound eagles are more than happy with the guy that didnt perform to yours and the rams standards....

he performed to mine..

thats all i meant..
    is cool man..i did like Spoon just felt that his value to us was beginning to wain(well possibly had been for a while) and with all things considered for the future good of the team..it was the right move to make..i am grateful for his efforts with us..especially those in his first 2 seasons as a Ram. and wish him well for the future..but with a few people implying that we shouldnt have got rid of him because of what he done last night for the Eagles..i felt it needed to be pointed out that for whatever reason..he wasnt having that impact for us.
    he is still probably better than what weve currently got on the weakside LB position,but feel the package we got e.g. new player at a position of critical need,draft pick and 6million plus off next years cap was better for the long term success of the team.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's interesting. In one game in Philly, Witherspoon was a bigger playmaker and made more of an impact than he has in the last two years as a Ram.

Starting from the beginning of the 2008 season to his last game as a Ram, Witherspoon came up with one interception, one forced fumble, one sack, and three passes defensed. In one night in Philly, he basically matched that production. Was he not trying here in St. Louis the last season and change? I doubt that, but playing with more talent around you can help improve the level of your play, and the Eagles defense have more talent and are better than the Rams are right now. Just ask Kim Herring what having talent around you can do for you.

Not trying to say that Witherspoon is comparable to Kim Herring, by the way. Just emphasizing that sometimes guys will play better when they're surrounded by better talent.

Being that Nick loves me so much--

you will see that I have posted about players that excell on teams with good management while they flounder on teams with bad management.

All these NFL players-- whether on the Rams or on other teams are comaprable.

Most NFL players at a certain position all have similar 40 times, similar upper body strength, similar lower body strength, etc....

So WTH do players on the Rams NOT perform as their counterparts?

1) Team Culture/atmosphere
    2) coaching
    3) utilization of players

Will Witherspoon leaves St. Louis one day, and is starting on a 'new' defense LESS than a week and makes a huge impact; while the 'much regarded' Gibson...... was eating hot dogs? on the sidelines ala Marc Sanchez.

So this season we have given up on

Tory Holt
    Orlando Pace
    Will Witherspoon

and all it has netted us less are than capable receivers, a pass ruch susceptable O line, and a poor pass rush.

what exactly is Spags doing for the team? Where is is much vaunted defensive mind?

He should be able to work and get results from Long, Little, Hall, Bartell, Otogwe (sp) But hes not.

And-- im not going to even go into Mr Shurmer-- again I state that perhaps he should have followed his father and been a defensive coordinator, because 8 points a game are certainly defensive numbers=)

In this day and age you dont re build anymore-- that is an out of date addage. In sports today-- the addage is win, and win now-- that's why we have free agency and in the NFL-- shared revenue.
    Last edited by punahou; -10-27-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: everytimnei posdt here in shaking with rage so I create numerous typos(

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If the offensive line is so horrible, how do we explain Steven Jackson having such great statistics running the ball?
    Probably because he's one of the top 3-5 players at his position in the game today. Another factor might be that run blocking and pass blocking are two fundamentally different styles of blocking. Or are you suggesting that all good run blocking lines are also good pass blocking lines, and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    At some point, can we not look at the other constant (Bulger) as an excuse when everything else changes and they are successful in other areas?
    Except Kyle Boller's attempts-per-sack number (12.3 attempts per sack) is worse than Bulger's (15 attempts per sack) this season. So if you're arguing that the poor pass protection is a byproduct of Bulger as the quarterback, shouldn't a change in quarterback - especially to a more mobile player whose advantage was that he could better evade pressure - result in a significant improvement in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    All these NFL players-- whether on the Rams or on other teams are comaprable.
    This is where I disagree. And I think most probably would, as well. It takes a certain caliber of player to make it into the NFL, definitely. But I think there is a pretty big disparity in talent between what the Rams have and what some of the best teams in the league have.

So this season we have given up on

Tory Holt
    Orlando Pace
    Will Witherspoon

and all it has netted us less are than capable receivers, a pass ruch susceptable O line, and a poor pass rush.
    Many teams give up on older veterans in order to bring in younger, fresher faces for the future. This isn't just some strange strategy used only by the Rams. For a team that's able to win now, veterans like Holt, Pace, or Witherspoon serve a purpose. But the Rams aren't a team that's ready to win now. Besides, the Rams couldn't keep Pace or Holt at the price they'd have cost, and the latter didn't even want to be on the team anymore anyways.

what exactly is Spags doing for the team? In this day and age yo do re build anymore-- that is an out of date addage. In sports today-- the addage is win, and win now-- that's why we have free agency and int he NFL-- shared revenue.
    Again, we'll have to disagree here. The length of the leash for a rebuilding project certainly isn't enormous, but rebuilding certainly exists and is in practice across the league. Teams like the 2008 Dolphins are the exception, not the rule. The 2009 Dolphins are 2-4, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-27-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Editing in response to another poster

punahou is offline Registered User

Parcells seems to be able to come in to a situation, and improve that situation from the get go.

The fact that the Dolphins were the exception, isnt really an exception becuase that what Parcells does.

The Rams on the other hand seem to look the other way when tried and true NFL people are available.

As far as the physical measurables that NFL players posses-- the Rams have all the measurables in their players. The difference is that these players arent using them on this team--- for some unknown reason.

Im not exactly sure what Vermeil did when he was here, but he and... the Army? person seemed to be able to cultivate and nurture talent.

Again-- is it any wonder that Vermeil 'wanted to retire.....?' but goes to the Chiefs and makes that team a perennial playoff contender with Trent Green? all the while the Rams declined under Martz and Linewho.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Parcells seems to be able to come in to a situation, and improve that situation from the get go.

The fact that the Dolphins were the exception, isnt really an exception becuase that what Parcells does.
    It's not a surprise that Parcells is starting to build a successful franchise in Miami, although again they're 2-4 at the moment and we'll see where they finish this year.

But the surprise, or rather the exception, is the striking turnaround from 1-15 to 11-5 and the playoffs the following year. That is the exception. Most teams do not have such a stark reversal of fate from one year to another.

If that's what you're looking for or expecting - and it kind of sounds like that's the case when you suggest teams no longer rebuild because the adage is instead "win now" - then you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Because teams very much still rebuild now.

You could make the case that the Dolphins are still rebuilding, as they've yet to prove that they're a sustainable double digit win team. But look around the league, and you can see many organizations that have fielded poor results in the recent past and brought in new staffs to turn that around. Again, they're probably not going to get six years to make it happen, but rebuilding is very much in effect in the NFL.

As far as the physical measurables that NFL players posses-- the Rams have all the measurables in their players. The difference is that these players arent using them on this team--- for some unknown reason.
    Really? So the Rams have a guy with the same physical measurables as a Randy Moss or an Andre Johnson, but that guy just isn't using his physical talents? The Rams have a guy on their defensive line with the same kind of physical talent as Haloti Ngata? I think the more likely and more logical answer is that the Rams do not have the same kind of talent on their team now that other successful teams in the NFL have.

It takes a certain level of talent to make it in the NFL, and the difference between a 4.40 forty time and a 4.44 forty time may not be much. But I think it's pretty clear that the Rams aren't fielding the same kind of talent as the Colts or the Saints at this point. So I'm going to have to disagree with your premise here.

Again-- is it any wonder that Vermeil 'wanted to retire.....?' but goes to the Chiefs and makes that team a perennial playoff contender with Trent Green? all the while the Rams declined under Martz and Linewho.
    Might want to do some fact checking there. From 2001 to 2005, while Vermeil was with the Chiefs, Kansas City made the post-season once and lost their only playoff game. Meanwhile the Rams went to the playoffs three out of those five years, with a playoff record of 3-3 during that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12