Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I will never complain about the officiating in Super Bowl 36 again

I firmly believe that the officiating in Super Bowl 36 was horrible. I believe that the refs adopted a "let them play" attitude that played right into the hands of the Patriots strategy of ignoring rules relating to the right of receivers to run without being hit after five yards, as well as other rules.

Nonetheless, the past two days has really hammered home the point of how bad fans look when they complain about the officiating.

Regardless of whether you are right or wrong, when you complain about the officiating, you are engaging in a pointless exercise that only makes you look like an excuse-making, "sour grapes," sore loser.

I don't believe that NFL refs ever deliberately favor one team over another, so, when the officiating goes against your team, it really is more about bad luck than it is about any "conspiracy." When that "bad luck" hits on Super Bowl Sunday, it is magnified significantly. But complaining about it does no good.

So, I'm going to pledge here and now to put the SB36 officiating issue to rest. I'll look back at that season simply as a great run by a great Ram team that ended in disappointment.

Hopefully, the Rams will return to the big game soon, and when Super Bowl Monday comes, the refs won't even be discussed.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-07-2006 at 02:35 PM.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Re: I will never complain about the officiating in Super Bowl 36 again

Well stated my friend : I totally agree with 100% even though it still hurts and hurts bad as the SB is to say who the best team is that year , Its not the case sometimes , On any given sunday it can happen... You right nothing can be done about it so go foreword right !

general counsel is offline Registered User

I appreciate what AV is saying, i have a slightly different perspective. First, there is a big difference between saying that the game was poorly officiated and claiming that it was fixed. I am in agreement with av 100% on that, i think it is off the wall to say it was fixed no matter how lousy the officiating is. Second, it is one thing to complain about the refs and quite another to engage in revisionist history as to what actually happened in the game. The hawks had plenty of chances no matter what the refs did and they made plenty of mistakes that cost them.

For example, they complain about the pushoff by darrell jackson. they may have a point. however, within a play or two of that hasselbeck hit their receiver in the hands in the end zone and the guy drops it. That had nothing to do with the refs. Time management, missed field goals (like wilikins in sb 36), key int, two big plays given up, that can not be layed off on the refs. Like anything else in life, you have to look in the mirror at your own performance. The hawks had the ball several times in pitt territory in the first half and they couldnt get in the end zone. blaming that on the refs is not reality.

In short, one of the disturbing things when you read the hawks board (and by the way this is not by any means a shot at all hawks fans, only the irrational wombats) is that many fans give the steelers no credit for the win. The steelers made plays and i dont see how you can not give them credit for that.

Here is the difference for me when comparing to sb 36. In sb 36 i believe that the patriots designed an entire defensive strategy that was not in accordance with the rules of the game. They intentionally held and grabbed on our receivers play after play, tackling faulk out of the backfield on his pass routes. The refs made no calls in that regard and it clearly affected the game. In this case, the refs may have blown the calls, but you cant blame that on the steelers or say that the steelers win is tainted.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Totally agree with ya "GC" no matter what happens if you have the ball and don't score who's felt is that ,One call or another call if a team is determined to win they will... even with the officiating in sb36 the rams made it close to the wire and the D let them get close enough to kick , not to say they did a poor job they did a great job sh_t happens and on any given Sunday does that make it easy to eat no some will never get over it but like whats been mentioned above we must go on , Not to for get it just go on its apart of our history a proud one at that

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't disagree with you, GC, I just need to let it go at this point.

Hodgins is offline Registered User

3-4 bad calls dont decide games, 10-15 do

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Atta Boy, Av!!

moklerman is offline Registered User

While I agree that complaining about the officiating can look like sour grapes, it can, and has led to changes in the way the game is called. The Darrel Jackson push-off for example, would never have been called in Super Bowl XXXVI.

That's the biggest reason I have for defending the ref's in SBXL. Although the call's may have been ticky-tack(which I don't think they were) they were correct. I don't expect the ref's to be perfect but I would rather they err correctly than the debacle which was SBXXXVI. While both arguments are about the ref's, I think the "let them play" attitude made popular by the NBA in the playoffs has got to stop. Call the game the same way everytime and I'll be happy.

When the league makes a point of enforcing the intentional grounding rule all year long and then ignores it just because it's a big game, that's a problem for me. When they make a point of calling a personal foul any time a qb get's touched above the neck during the year and then ignore it in the Super Bowl it's a problem. Illegal contact. Spearing. Unneccessary roughness. All of these things were called regularly until the Super Bowl. So, for the ref's to call XL just like any other game during the season is something I don't have a problem with.

AV, your intestinal fortitude in letting it go is to be admired and respected. I dont get depressed over the refs, what i cant let go is the loss itself. While the refs didnt help, i know for sure that it wasnt the refs that lost us the game. I dont know if i will ever truly let it go. I loved that team so much and really thought it was one of the greatest and most dominant teams in the history of the nfl. The fact that they spit the bit during the superbowl makes that season a failure for me and the most disappointing and painful loss i am likely to ever experience as a fan. I will hopefully feel better when and if we win another title. The only bright spot- it makes me appreciate the sb 34 team even more.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bigredman is offline Registered User

The problem with NFL officiating is that they "emphasize" enforcing existing rules. The grab and hold tactics of the Patriots against the Rams in the SB was something they did all season, but the NFL decided to "emphasize" the rule against that afterwards. Same with push off rule was emphasized this year, even though that has been in the rule book for years (the Michael Irvin rule). When all the QB's started going down with concussions, the refs call roughing the passer even if your hand grazes the face mask. Supposedly, the quick wistle was to be addressed this season, and for the most part I believe it was, but we still saw many that negated legitimate fumbles. Bottom line is that the NFL need fulltime refs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with the Biggest Reddest One of All. I dont see how the league can justify not having full time refs and training them year round given the amounts of revenue generated by the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I agree with the Biggest Reddest One of All. I dont see how the league can justify not having full time refs and training them year round given the amounts of revenue generated by the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    So 7 months of training a year with no nfl games being played to train in? I just don't think that's the answer. They don't need to train in the off season to be consistent. Something needs to be done, but I don't see full time as the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Well, I don't think the game was fixed, but they did everything possible to make it easier to the steelers, the same way to the cholts and from my point of view, the whole season to the giants.
    And I agree, its time to move on. But just for a second, imagine the gold and blue on the field, and the interefence called on Holt, and that TD after stopping JB 2 or 3 times in the 1, plus in my opinion, everytime PIT the umps had to flag PIT it took them couple of seconds, but for the sqwaks onlyfraction of a second.
    I have put myself in the sqwaks shoes, and eventhough the team didn't show up to play their biggest match, that officiating really aggravated me and for next season I only expect the justice to come back to the NFL

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN
    I have put myself in the sqwaks shoes, and eventhough the team didn't show up to play their biggest match, that officiating really aggravated me and for next season I only expect the justice to come back to the NFL
    Don't hold your breath dude.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I don't disagree with you, GC, I just need to let it go at this point.
    Its hard to let go , I still have problems with it , Its just that we love our team so and we where the better team that year... But the hurt has to move on... The pat's are a good football team with a great coach but I can say my feeling are are one of disgust for them is that right no , Is mentioning how bad the the NFL ref's where in that game going to make any of feel better maybe , maybe not... Its always going to be their , I hope all of us can deal with it the best that we can each of us in our own way... The 1979 season was as rough to handle for me the only difference is time and players... Wanting to be the best is not an easy thing to do when the others you are playing against are at the same or near same level of play man thats really a feat to get where we have been, sorry I'm rambling no pun intented...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-16-2008, 09:25 AM