Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: I wonder... is there an Anti-Bandwagon?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Interesting. I ask a question and you find it divisive.

I think that says a lot more about you than it does about me.
    Come on, AV: this isn't the first thread you've started with the underlying reason of pointing out that some fans are "better" than others. As has been discussed before, anyone still here after years of misery and failure must be a diehard; it's simply that we have our own ways of venting our spleen.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

First of all, this is not a thread about whether certain Rams fans are "better than others." Second, some Rams fans are better than others (are you going to tell me that Dez isn't a "better fan" than some guy who became a fan in 1999 and then dumped the team when things got bad?).

But let's stay on topic...

The question is, are there fans who will paradoxically lose interest in participating on these boards (and others) if the Rams start winning?

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    First of all, this is not a thread about whether certain Rams fans are "better than others."
    My most sincere apologies, then, for misinterpreting your objectives.

To answer the question, I firmly believe that there are fans who only crawl out of the woodwork when there is something to moan about, but that happens in all sports. Plenty of soccer sites also have them, for example, and it's just inevitable that there'll be an element of any team's followers which is only happy when it rains.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Personally, I probably would be more likely to post after a bad game than a good game( or season). Once the shoe has gone through the TV, the wife doesn't want to hear about why the Rams are losing and the dog is battered,bruised and refuses to come anymore... all that's left is sharing the misery with other true Rams fans.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I dont think there is an "anti-bandwagon" as you termed it
    In a .500 season, there isnt too much to complain about usually, and you dont have the bandwagon fans that a good winning season will bring. So people dont really have too much to talk about. It doesnt mean they arent fans, but saying something just for the sake of saying something is pointless.

However, when a team has a season where they have won only one game, and where the team has won only three games in two years, there is far more things to be discussed. Its not that some people only come out to moan, its that there is much more to talk about and discuss when the team you support isnt winning. Its easy to look at a team thats won, and very little to say because the team is doing well. When a team loses you have discussions about all facets of the team.

If this place wasnt busy with people talking about what the Rams could do to improve i would be very disappointed, as its like the fans dont care that we have been losing. But its evident from looking around these boards that the fans do want to be better. I mean some fans are even advocating bringing in guys like Mike Vick and Tim Tebow, so its obvious they are so desperate to win they would try anything!

andylopez105 is offline Registered User

Ive never heard of people ditching a winning team whom they have been loyal too. Of course I wont ditch the rams for winning, but in my opinion a stronger love of the game is built when you can enjoy and genuinely root for a 1-15 team. If anything I'm dreading us doing well and having those who continuously make the Rams the butt of every joke hop on the bandwagon. I hear snickers every time I play madden

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

In the event I understand the strained logic of the term 'Anti-bandwagon' (its far from certain that I do btw ) then I'd say the answer is no.

There are people who just cannot accept the inability for the Rams to win football games without departing into flights of Maddenesque fantasy, ______ (insert label here but usually Bulger) SUX rage, ranting like a right-wing radio host who has mislaid his tranquilisers or applying any kind of context to our continued futility.

Whether they'll still be around when we start winning isn't something I concern myself about much because I'm too busy wishing they weren't around now.

I can't accept losing 15 games a season myself but in the absence of a magic wand, I'll go with the somewhat less stressful approach of hoping for the best, being as constructive as possible and placing any reasoned hope that I do have in the plan of our new regime on the basis that they actually seem to have one and it doesn't involve throwing anyone under a bus, cutting rafts of players without replacements and taking trade tips from video games.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Actually, I'm a total diehard fan of the Tufts Jumbos (my undergraduate school) football team. I think their battle with Williams College this year was one of the classic gridiron contests of all time.

(By the way, my father went to M.I.T., so I'm sure you know what animal appears on his class ring)

Joking about the M.I.T. reference, I actually attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York, but I did major in Physics. RPI plays Div. 1 in ice hockey and I still follow them as much as I can. My junior year (1985) we won the NCAA Championship. The Final Four was at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and a bunch of friends and I chartered a bus and attended the tournament. Not sure if you follow hockey much in Florida, but a bunch of the guys from that team went on to very successful NHL careers. The most prominent was Adam Oates. He played for the Redwings, Bruins and Caps most of his 18 years in the league and was the 8th player in NHL history to reach 1000 career assists. The cool thing was that I got to know many of the guys on the team pretty well because my freshman year I lived in the same dorm as the hockey team...kind of made following NHL hockey a bit more fun.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe it's the beaver. Something to do with their prowess in the field of engineering.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12