Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

an idea about boosting the rams fan base..

the Good folk of St.louis & Cali both want their teams to either stay in st.lou or move back to Cali...being a former native of Burbank i am more in the Cali court than the St.lou but lets not start one of those endless fan splitting debates..yes its true that L.A has a population of approx 3.6 million and St.louis has approx 500,000 of which both are split up of either Basketball or Baseball fans with Football one could argue a second thought in those cities..if only 10% of the populations are Rams fans..in L.A. that would mean 360,000 where as in St.louis it would mean 50,000 (not enough to sell out the EJD btw)
    o.k i know this sounds like im making a case for L.A. but im not,im just laying down some facts to begin with..heres the idea i have in mind..

if one was to look on facebook under st.louis rams groups..you will be irate but not really surprised to find out that there are a few groups who have titles like.."we are from St.louis and we hate the Rams"
    so say we wanna stay in St.louis but want to address the dwindling fan base ..how would we do that?

we rename the St.louis Rams the Missouri Rams...although i am aware that there are Rams fans from Missouri but outside of St.Louis..RamsfanSam being one that springs to mind..but im figuring in the whole ,the people of st.louis dont feel fully connected to the Rams and its a relatively small city anyway so why not branch out and include the whole of Missouri..i realise KC is already taken for but maybe there would be many thousands from all over Missouri who would feel like they should root for us now that we would be representing their State,instead of just a City they might not have much love for,for whatever reason..

also maybe in time we could beat out the Chiefs as the number 1 supported team in Missouri...its worth considering that outside of America the majority of people think that Kansas City is in Kansas State...so the people of Missouri really should swing in the favour of our newly named Missouri Rams who clearly represent the state they play in.
    also in the future if we really need to move to a new stadium and we cant build it in St.lou we could move to another place in the state and still keep our identity.

its a different take on the often debated topic...

thoughts??

cyboar is offline Registered User

Re: an idea about boosting the rams fan base..

I'm mostly just a lurker in Tulsa area, but I'd thought I'd comment on this subject.
    The way to add to the Rams fan base is to win, to win consistently, to win the right way with character. All fans identify with a winner, and winners sell merchandise, and the sale of merchandise gets you on national tv.

Here in the Tulsa area, we usually get Dallas and Kansas City games. However, the local Cox channel shows many of the St. Louis Cardinals games, and not the Kansas City Royals games. You could say it was because the AA Tulsa Drillers used to be in the Cardinals organization, but we still didn't get any Rockies games down here when they went to the World Series. The Rams should emulate the success of the Cardinals consistently and have an identity that the nation can identify with, not just the city or the state. Thats my opinion, I could be wrong.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cyboar View Post
    I'm mostly just a lurker in Tulsa area, but I'd thought I'd comment on this subject.
    The way to add to the Rams fan base is to win, to win consistently, to win the right way with character. All fans identify with a winner, and winners sell merchandise, and the sale of merchandise gets you on national tv.

Here in the Tulsa area, we usually get Dallas and Kansas City games. However, the local Cox channel shows many of the St. Louis Cardinals games, and not the Kansas City Royals games. You could say it was because the AA Tulsa Drillers used to be in the Cardinals organization, but we still didn't get any Rockies games down here when they went to the World Series. The Rams should emulate the success of the Cardinals consistently and have an identity that the nation can identify with, not just the city or the state. Thats my opinion, I could be wrong.

well theres always winning the public over and its fair to say Green Bay probably have move fans around the world than have ever lived in Green bay in the towns entire history due to the clubs winning history ..but i think a name change is easier to achieve as a starter ...winning is obviously a another way of getting Fans onboard..theres also the fact of the recent downturn in the worlds economy,which having a winning football team in town is not gonna cure..introducing a state name would make the dragnet bigger when we try and sweep in more fans.
    in the future we will have to build a new stadium sometime and its likely to have a bigger capacity than the EJD` of 66,000 ..which i believe until we make the play-offs we will struggle to fill it to capacity without "help" from armies of visiting fans..which i find shameful but least someones putting money into the club even if the money is from other States.

i know absolutely nothing about baseball teams..so you could say absolutely anything there.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The "Missouri Rams" doesn't really have as much of a ring to it in my opinion. I would tend to think that people in Missouri aren't going to shift allegiances because of a name change. And then there are the people outside Missouri who might be put off by the idea of rooting for a team trying to establish itself as Missouri's team. For example, I doubt you'll find many fans of the Texans who don't have roots in Texas. On the other hand, the St. Louis team can draw from Iowa to the north and Arkansas to the south (neither of which have their own pro teams), plus the parts of rural Illinois that don't affiliate so much with Chicago.

Also, I'd revise those numbers on the cities upwards a little. The city of St. Louis might be a couple hundred thousand, but the metropolitan area is 2.8 million, meaning we could fill the stadium up if just 3% of the locals showed up (not counting an away crowd or anyone coming into the city to watch the game).

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think there is only one way to truly unite the St. Louis and Los Angeles fan bases. I've looked at a map of the U.S., and determined that there is only one city that is somewhat near the midpoint between St. Louis and L.A. That is where the team should play.

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you...

The Santa Fe Rams!!!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Until I can complete my plan to buy the Rams and move them to Oklahoma, this is all for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by cyboar View Post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maineram is offline Registered User

Ok, I became a Rams fan when they were in LA, they moved to Anahiem, now to St. Louis. I don't care what is in front of "RAMS" because I'm from Maine and have to have direct tv to watch them, travel to whereever to see them, but spend 12 months a year following them, regardless of where they call home.

It would have been better to stay in LA, but for many reasons that didn't happen. St. Louis is now where they call home so they should stay there.

You like them or you don't but winning cures all ills.

Too bad they didn't bring the Rams back to their original home in Cleveland when the Browns turned into Baltimore.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    plus the parts of rural Illinois that don't affiliate so much with Chicago.
    Yes, we do exist. There is in fact more to Illinois than just Chicago

I'm not certain how much a name change would truly affect the fan base. I think winning cures all, so hopefully Spags can put together a winner and Chip (or whoever he possibly sells to) can keep it going for the long haul. Then and only then will we earn the respect like the Packers, Steelers, and Cowgirls that we all covet.

I think Maine touched on a point that a lot of new members miss (and when I say new, I mean the last couple of years). This site started out in SCOTLAND. Is that near LA or St Louis? nope. It was started as an INTERNATIONAL fan base for the RAMS.

I dont really care where they play, as long as they are supported. So if its in St Louis, then fine, as long as its supported. Thanks for reminding me maineram

maineram is offline Registered User

Positive rep points Dez would suffice !!!

These Johnny come lately's.................

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I love the Lou.....but I still think the San Antonio Rams has a beautiful ring to it.

blood85 is offline Registered User

There is no other way to put it, to EXPAND the fanbase, WIN,WIN, WIN, WIN AND WIN some more....That is what Dallas, Pittsburgh and Green Bay have in Common, a fanbase created from winning and winning Championships....who wants to be associated with a loser???

blood85 is offline Registered User

As far as those people that are from the STL and hate the RAMS, I know a place where they can stick it, but since this is a family site, I'll keep it clean.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

I dont care if they stay in St Louis, but ramblin had a great point about population and what not( whos idea was it anyway to move them to st louis??) I know i'll get alot of heat but i dont give a DAMN, we all know deep inside they belong in LOS ANGELES!

HornIt is offline Registered User

It's got to be the Mississippi River Rams then. Has a cool ring to it too doesn't it?

They'll get fans from New Orleans to Minneapolis and everywhere in between.

Or, if they move back to LA, it can be the California Rams or perhaps Golden State Rams. I kind of like the Golden State Rams. Sounds good. Of course, they'd have to bring the gold pants back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast