Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

An idea just so crazy it might work...

If the Rams had an athlete who was 6'6, ran a sub-4.5 forty, and had good hands, maybe he would be a good player to try to develop at WR.

How about Fendi Onobun?

Its not like the guy has a lot of experience at TE. He's just learning the position. Heck, he's just learning the game.

Why the heck not?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: An idea just so crazy it might work...

Hmm... a 6'6" receiver vs an average of a 5'10" cornerback? Can you say mismatch? You do bring up an interesting point Av, as the stats alone suggest that he certainly has the athleticism to be out wide, and his skillset certainly doesn't specifically lend himself to being a tight end. If it makes him a better contributor to the team, I agree, why not?
    I believe!

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Isnt his route running already questionable even for a TE?

That said is spags came out and said he was converting Ono to a WR, i would fully approve.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

I almost feel like the coaches don't have a choice but to at least attempt to train Fendi at the WR position.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

Why not continue to keep him lined up at the TE position anyway, and force a LB to cover him? Either way, I'm sure he'll be developed at both positions. Its not like they're trying to undo years of practicing a certain way.

thatguy is offline Registered User

I'd rather have him at TE because it would be a bigger mismatch when a LB is covering him then a faster and just as athletic CB.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think Richbert may have beaten you to the punch by about a week, but the fact that multiple people are thinking outside of the box like this can't hurt.

My impression of Fendi is that you've got a lump of clay who would be ideal to mold into a physical receiving tight end. Maybe he never becomes Antonio Gates, but he's shown flashes of having that kind of athletic ability. I don't know if that clay can be molded into a legitimate wide receiver, and I think if that's the road you choose, you'd basically be giving up on any progress he's going to make at tight end any time soon.

The concerns I have about Onobun as a receiver include a couple of things. One, isn't he listed in the 250 pound range? I don't think you'll find many NFL receivers of his height that also carries that kind of weight and are successful doing so. Most of them are 230 pounds at most. So you're likely going to have to ask him to drop some pounds, which he may or may not be able to do. He's already considered to be a very good athlete. How much weight can he drop at this point?

Furthermore, though he may be able to separate and run by linebackers at his size, would he be able to create separation against faster defensive backs? Some will argue that you don't have to create much separation when you're that size, but I'd disagree. Separation is important regardless of how big or fast you are (or aren't). Having height and being able to go up and get a pass is certainly an advantage, but your chances of a catch probably still aren't great if you have a defender draped on you in coverage, even if he's smaller.

Finally, the guy is about as raw as sashimi when it comes to running routes. Simply puy, none of us have any idea how much of the pro route tree this kid is capable of running, but I think it's safe to assume he has a lot of work to do in this area. How much time does it take for him to even be competent running the variety of routes he'd be asked to run at receiver?

Again, this brings me back to wondering what kind of ceiling you'd be looking at with this kind of move. How much are you delaying any progress he'd be making at tight end by trying a position switch that he may not be able to make? In the end, I'd rather the Rams just go out and find a high caliber receiver and keep Onobun at tight end to see if he can make use of his ability at that position.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I wouldn't play him at full time WR but I would love to see him line up wide on some sets particularly in the redzone.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd rather he give us a legitimate threat in the middle of the field. If we move him outside, we still have the geographic problem of threatening the middle of the field (unless UhOh is the answer, of course).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams had an athlete who was 6'6, ran a sub-4.5 forty, and had good hands, maybe he would be a good player to try to develop at WR.

How about Fendi Onobun?

Its not like the guy has a lot of experience at TE. He's just learning the position. Heck, he's just learning the game.

Why the heck not?

Much better than all the wakky talk of Ramses Braden last season...lol !

MACD is offline Registered User

I can't help but think that the site of Oh No and Uh Oh simultaneously lined up would do something to a d-back's mind....or other part of the anatomy.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I can definitely see Fendi lining up at a wide receiver position, alah Dallas Clark and Jermichael Finley, but I don't think I want to convert him into a full time receiver, for the reasons posted above, and for the fat that we are going to acquire Vincent Jackson and our receiver corp would be awfully crowded.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I can definitely see Fendi lining up at a wide receiver position, alah Dallas Clark and Jermichael Finley, but I don't think I want to convert him into a full time receiver, for the reasons posted above, and for the fat that we are going to acquire Vincent Jackson and our receiver corp would be awfully crowded.
    What he said. Unless putting him on the WR depth chart saves someones spot on the roster (Fells) I don't see a need to say "your a wide reciever now".

Although when he makes the final 53 and they put him on the team in Madden I will most likely do this.
    Last edited by JustinHasAnAxe; -09-02-2010 at 02:55 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Although it's an intiguing idea, I don't think you could risk giving him a roster spot at a position he's never played before, especially the way Rams receivers seem to get injured. I'd stick with developing guys that at least have a basic foundation on playing the position in college, or as others have mentiond, go out and find an experienced receiver. That said, if he makes the team at TE, I don't think it would be a bad idea at some point to try moving him around.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Finally, the guy is about as raw as sashimi when it comes to running routes.
    Said the famous sushi chef.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Said the famous sushi chef.
    I know raw when I see it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast