Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal DT

itsguud is offline Registered User

Ideal DT

Alright so I've been listening to all of you talk about drafting Adams, Okoye, Anderson, Carriker... the list goes on. I've also heard your inputs on Jenkins, to which many have said "you don't want to trade for Jenkins." So here is your chance to say who your IDEAL DT is. Pick anyone in the league. Then, if you can, relate him to one of the available draft picks you're interested in.

I want Jenkins and don't believe in the above draft picks becoming as big a deal as everyone thinks. Now you!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ideal DT

If I could place any DT on the Rams roster, it would be one of (in this order) SD's Jamal Williams, the Steelers' Casey Hampton, and the Vikes Kevin Williams.

Yes, I know the first two are 3-4 NTs, but IMHO, while not every successful 4-3 NT can be a 3-4 NT, I believe any successful 3-4 NT CAN be a successful 4-3 NT. As for Williams, I think he could be the best combo of run stopper and interior pass rusher in the league.

Who fits this image in the draft? An argument could be made for the Okoye/Kevin Williams comparison, but I don't see a Jamal Williams or Casey Hampton in this draft. Of course, in his draft Jamal Williams (undrafted) wasn't Jamal Williams either.

P.S. A pair of Cowboys and a Longhorn......can the Big 12 put out some DTs or what?!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsNation is offline Registered User

Well, I have long been a Casey Hampton fan and like Hubison said a 3/4 tackle should have no problem with a 4/3. He would be perfect beside Pickett, (I am still bothered we let him go), but anyway somebody like Hampton is what we need beside Wroten eventually. Wouldnt complain about Jammall Williams either.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The guy from san diego strikes me as an unblockable force of nature. What a load and a half. He caused havoc all year in virtually every game.

That said, i will take dan hampton and merlin olsen. That should get the job done. I have met hampton a number of times and he is one of the most ornery people you will ever encounter. He was just such a fantastic player, truly earned the name "Danimal" He also apparantly killed a guy in a bar fight at one point and the bears had to buy him out of trouble. As for olsen, no words are needed to describe his skills.

At this point, i would be thrilled with larry brooks, let alone olsen.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

John Henderson of the Jaguars has always impressed me when I see him play. I guess Alan Branch is the closest thing in the draft--they're similar in height and weight and have faced similar criticisms--but I can't say that I believe Branch will be the same caliber of player.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

We got rid of the motor (Winstrom) and then Pickett & one or 2 others and we still have Kennedy? I'm on a Kennedy bashing today, can you tell?
    Let me just say Kennedy ain't an Ideal Tackle!
    Last edited by theodus69; -04-17-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd pick John Henderson from Jacksonville.

I mean he's a total monster and how can't you love this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaK_TArMLfM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4cXZGkRMCY

That is what we NEED. A crazy SOB like that, sadly we have 0 of them on this team.
    RamsFan16

Go Lakers? Wow that's a long shot!

z.nrd Guest

I don't know about MY ideal DT. I am still trying to figure out what Haslett wants from his NT.

It's easier to figure out the RDT/3-technique/undertackle type he wants. Glover and Wroten. The simple and obvious---quick, gets penetration, disrupts.

But there's no one NT type.

I have had the feeling that Haslett wants an NT who can stunt and move some. I don't think he wants a big ole hawg jabba. I think he wants a guy who may be more of a hybrid and not just a 3/4 NT playing NT in a 4/3.

My own ideal NT would be a smart tough vet on the smaller side and not a simple block-absorbing jabba. Jason Ferguson in his prime.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think he wants a guy who may be more of a hybrid and not just a 3/4 NT playing NT in a 4/3.
    However, that would go against what he has said about using a situational 3-4 look, and against his own history. He coordinated the Steelers in a 3-4 from '97-'99, and moved the Saints in that direction the last couple of years in N.O.

The problem with the Haslett hybrid in St. Louis is the lack of sizable (and quality) LBs. He had 250-260 lb. LBs running out of his ears in Pittsburgh.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Great vid ramsfan16. I'm with you, thats exactly the kind of crazy SOB we need to get this Rams defense worked up and into a frenzy.

Well henderson talks a good game!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Well henderson talks a good game!
    Also plays a great game too. Him and Stroud are in my opinion the best Defensive Tackle tandem in the NFL.
    RamsFan16

itsguud is offline Registered User

Yeah that video is nuts... lets get him!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd probably put Tommie Harris on the list as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast