Touchdowns
    13 Bruce
    12 Bruce
    10 Reed
    9 (tie) Bruce, Reed

1,000 Yard Seasons

Bruce 8
    Reed 4

While Reed did play in 4 Super Bowls, Bruce played in two and scored the winning TD against the Titans.

In my mind, this is pretty clear cut. Bruce deserves to be in the HOF. Its not even a close call.
    RealRam, thoey, SWFCRAM and 1 others like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: If Andre Reed is a HOFer, Isaac Bruce Clearly is Too

The real question is; will Bruce have to wait nine years to get in like Reed?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

In my mind, this is pretty clear cut. Bruce deserves to be in the HOF. Its not even a close call.
    According to the Bruce / Reed numbers you researched, you're right, it's not even a close call.

And Sir Isaac was also a key component of the famed GSOT!

Vote for Isaac Bruce, HOF.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Isaac Bruce is CLEARLY a Hall-of-Famer, no doubt. I just really hope he's a first ballot guy! Reverend Ike deserves it more than anyone.

THE DREAM TEAM

chiguy is offline Registered User

Talk about preaching to the choir...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

If Reed is the benchmark, Ike should be a slam dunk. Plus Reed played on great offenses most of his career, with a HOF QB throwing to him, while Ike played on really bad offenses his first several years, but still managed some of the best seasons in NFL history.

My only concern with Ike, is that he might have to wait behind Tim Brown, who's yearly HOF snub is a crime IMO.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

The real question is: will Bruce have to wait nine years to get in like Reed? -- RFRH
    Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

My only concern with Ike, is that he might have to wait behind Tim Brown, who's yearly HOF snub is a crime IMO.
    Tim Brown should have been inducted already, years ago. He's one of those victims of strange politics[?] by the NFL HOF committees.

However, I feel that Isaac Bruce has / would have some kind of unexplained file[?], a mysterious advantage[?] over both Brown and Reed and therefore, I think, he won't have to wait too long. Not sure what intangible factor it turns out to be -- maybe that Bruuuuuuce has a popularity edge among the three players?

Of course, if IB enters the HOF, that could automatically produce Tim Brown's ticket.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-05-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spellen

Mikey is offline Registered User

Both Ike and Brown should be in well before Reed.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Notice how some players get into the HOF many years after they retired and should have been inducted much sooner, while others you wonder What the Hell they where thinking...?

Here is a bone to throw out, Randy Moss.... or how about T.O. Certainly what they done on the field merits the HOF but what they have done to their teams...well........

But lets face it when it comes to class and on the field play Bruce is light years ahead of either Moss or T.O.
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -08-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post

When it comes to class...
    Ahh, yes, the CLASS factor. Bruce, class act.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    You know how I feel about the Reverend.

If he is elected to the HOF, I will be making the trip to Canton to see the ceremony.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

HOF voters are journos selected largely based on team markets so Buffalo, while small fry itself, played in NY, Boston, and Miami every season. Lots of exposure in big markets for Reed.Sports hacks are more or less human & it hardly surprises that they favor guys whose careers they experienced/covered firsthand. For that reason, Bruce may have to wait a while like Brown. Both spanned the period when their respective teams left a huge market & heavy media coverage for a smaller one and/or areas dominated by other established teams & weren't successful at first, to boot. Bruce may have the edge of the GSOT glory years to beat out the likes of Brown and Harrison, another big fish/small pond guy, but he will not be first ballot,imo.

Of course, Bruce deserves to be inducted, & I'm sure he'll get there, but it's a bit too much of a geopolitical/popularity contest, like the Pro Bowl,imo, to measure relative greatness on the scale of how soon a player gets inducted after becoming eligible.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So here's my take on it....

There are currently 6 retired, non-HOF receivers in the all-time top 10 among receptions, receiving yards, and TDs. They are in alphabetical order:

Tim Brown - 1,094 / 14,934 / 100 (eligible in '10)
    Isaac Bruce - 1,024 / 15,208 / 91 (eligible in '15)
    Tony Gonzalez - 1,325 / 15,127 / 111 (eligible in '19)
    Marvin Harrison - 1,102 / 14,580 / 128 (eligible in '14)
    Randy Moss - 982 / 15,292 / 156 (eligible in '18)
    Terrell Owens - 1,078 / 15,934 / 153 (eligible in '16)

[sidebar trivia: the only other receivers to have a top-10 spot in any category are Hines Ward (9th in receptions) and Henry Ellard (10th in receiving yards).]

IMO, all 6 of these guys are HOF'ers if there's any justice in the world. But as we see, Brown has already been passed over 5 times, and Harrison once. Bruce's career is on par with both of them (more yardage than both, but less catches and TDs than both). So one would have to think both would have to be cleared out before Ike gets in. Which, barring both going in next year, Bruce won't get his name called until at least 2017. And for that to happen, Bruce would have to get the nod over Owens in TO's 1st and 2nd years of eligibility....which I see happening. I can't imagine the media not making TO wait a year or two. Same could be said for Randy Moss in 2018. However, I absolutely do see Gonzalez going in his 1st ballot, 2019.

So, Bruce goes in.....it's just a question of when:

2015 = I doubt it. He would have to leapfrog Brown AND Harrison, or the media would vote in multiple contemporary WRs, 2 if not 3 of them.

2016 = Possible, but I still doubt it, unless both Brown and Harrison go in 2015. In that case, I'd say it's much more likely. To note, this is TO's 1st year of eligibility, but I don't think he goes in on his 1st ballot.

2017 = This is where my money is. I think Brown and Harrison go in '15 and '16, which leaves Bruce the obvious choice for '17. However, it is possible that both Bruce and Owens go in together (which will make me a little sick), or even, heaven forbid, Owens jumps Bruce.

2018 = If Bruce is still out there at this point, then he's a slam dunk. I say this because I am forced to assume that Brown, Harrison, and Owens are all out of the way. Moss is a 1st time ballot at this point, but I don't see him going 1st ballot.

2019 = If the world is spinning backwards, and Bruce is still on the ballot, I don't think 2019 is his year as both Moss and Gonzalez will be on the ballot. Gonzalez is a guaranteed 1st ballot, and if the media has passed over Bruce this many teams, I'm sure they'll pass him again for Moss.

2020 = Here's where the bleeding stops. The only possible contender at this point might be Reggie Wayne, possibly. No way does Bruce fall below 2020.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-06-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    RealRam and RamFan_Til_I_Die like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce4life View Post
    You know how I feel about the Reverend.

If he is elected to the HOF, I will be making the trip to Canton to see the ceremony.
    Nice! According to this thread (bias aside), it's not 'if' but 'when' you'll visit Canton.