View Poll Results: If Danny won't give the Rams a "hometown deal," the Rams should...

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign him at market price to a long-term deal.

7 23.33%
  • Franchise tag him and re-evaluate in 2014.

5 16.67%
  • Franchise tag him and keep trying to negotiate.

14 46.67%
  • Let him go and let Austin Pettis be the slot receiver.

1 3.33%
  • Let him go and sign a less expensive slot receiver.

1 3.33%
  • Let him go and draft a slot receiver.

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: If Danny Amendola won't give the Rams a "hometown deal," Option B is...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If Danny Amendola won't give the Rams a "hometown deal," Option B is...

I'd characterize a "hometown deal" in this case as something in the neighborhood of 4 years, $20M.

If Danny requires more of a "market deal" (which could be as much as $7M per year), what would you do?

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: If Danny Amendola won't give the Rams a "hometown deal," Option B is...

I would sign Danny......but under the auspices of not tieing up too much to leave Rams' other options limited. If he costs too much, given the plethora of other holes Rams have to fill, it may be cost prohibitive to sign him. But, top priority should be to sign him by getting creative in any way possible including restructuring of other contracts if need be.......

I say franchise him, but keep negotiating until the last minute to try to get that hometown deal.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Franchise tag him and re-evaluate in 2014. Injuries is what's holding me back from a long term deal.
    Unfortunately because of his style of play (which is a good thing) Amendola gets hurt a lot.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think if he was going to give us "hometown deal" he would have signed already. That being said, I think one of the major factors is if we land a number one receiver in FA.

If we land a WR, not sure I would tag or sign him long term if it cost too much. If we don't land a WR I would vote to tag him before spending a ton on him long term.

The Rams had to see this coming and it's been said before, why let Salas go when we could have used him.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I like Danny, but IMO he's not worth franchising. For that matter no slot receiver is.

If NE is still interested, I'll take Salas and a 4th rounder in a sign and trade.

If the Rams were inclined to trade him, a potential bargain priced option could be Ramses Barden of the Giants. Different type of player, but could be effective as a quick slant option from the slot.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

$20m over 4 is about the most I'd pay for him. If he wanted more then free agency is ---->

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

This is a tough one. The Rams and Sam Bradford clearly need Amendola, the stats are proof enough of that. But, can Amendola stay healthy enough to justify a four year 20mil deal? From what I've seen the answer would be a resounding no. Using that same logic, I would say the franchise tag wouldn't be an option for me either.

IMO the Rams need to go after a young veteran free agent who can come in and be productive immediately. (Not an option I see on AV's poll.) St. Louis is going to have some serious spending money next year and I expect them be very aggressive with it. I sincerely hope that they add at least two new receivers to the position.

Drafting a slot receiver would be the next best option, but I think this team needs a few solid veteran players mixed in to balance out and guide all this youth that they have in place.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -11-19-2012 at 03:39 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I say tag him and keep negotiating. There isn't anyone we would want to tag so it's not a wasted effort. I think we can even wait until 2014 and see what develops with current players such as Quick or Givens and go from there. We can also make some FA moves with the money we have this off-season. Of course there is also the draft but that is an unknown quantity just as Quick and Givens are this season. Lastly, there is the trade option, but that's unlikely unless a team headed for the playoffs becomes desperate. At the end of the day I feel Snead and Fisher as well as Demoff will make the right moves based on future success of the team. Let's not forget as good as Amendola is he's not taking us to the "promised land". I think the FO will also need to balance their thoughts of spending with Steven Jackson this off-season as well.

Go Rams!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

This is how I break it down...

I don't want to lose Danny Amendola, and would be perfectly content with franchising him... However part of me is thinking why use all that money on a (undoubtedly) top tier slot WR, when you can use that money and a little extra on a LEGIT #1 Outside WR such as Wallace, or Bowe or Jennings.

That is where my mind starts racing.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

At some point the Rams need some stability at receiver, it usually takes a receiver 3 years to acclimate in the NFL. Amendola has proven his worth. Why should he take a deal and not get payed? Pay the man and let's start getting Bradford some stability, because if we don't then we need to go ahead and trade Bradford also.

Haste is online now Registered User

I say we lock him up long term in the offseason now. It may seem like a lot of money, but by franchising him then signing the next year, the market prices will go up to where it will be expensive anyway.

Keep in mind mediocre Wr's have gotten expensive deals too (Antonio Bryant when he signed on the Bengals got 4 yrs, 28 mill I believe....and injured)

Is it possible for us to sign him and get a #1 Wr in the offseason+ Other additions?

There has to be a way. If playoff teams can manage their players well, we need to be able to as well.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Franchise tagging him would cost 9mil. No thanks. I hope he can be persuaded to sign a long term deal at a much better price.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Loosing Amendola would be a step back--back to the days of M. Martz (releasing K. Warner). Amendola is a nice hole filler to have; release him and the Rams have yet another hole to fill, not that they don't already have enough holes to deal with.

S. Jackson has issues staying healthy. Yet he still is the Rams offense. It seems the Rams get a good player and rely too much on that player and the brain trusts wonders why they get hurt. Now pair Amendola with another great reciever, I wager he stays healthier. I notice Jackson is doing better now that he has help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast