Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: If Fisher is hired, it builds the case to draft Blackmon.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If Fisher is hired, it builds the case to draft Blackmon.

Going to make this simple.

Fisher is hired.

Brings in the WCO with his conservative philosophy.

Our o-line proved last year they can block adequately in the WCO scheme.

We would still need to tweak the o-line a bit, but Kalil wouldnt be necessary.

Bring in Blackmon, throw him a slant, and let him do the rest.

Lloyds gone. Draft Blackmon.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Re: If Fisher is hired, it builds the case to draft Blackmon.

since lloyd is gone.. blackmon is needed.. and so is another big time FA to let blackmon learn under him
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

True, but Blackmons a start.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I hate to be a kill joy BUT

Fisher believes in the philosophy that a strong running game helps control the clock and keeps your defense fresh. In 12 of the last 14 seasons, the Titans have finished in the top half of the NFL in rushing offense including seven Top 10 finishes. Additionally, in 12 of the last 15 seasons, the Titans have finished with an average time of possession number of more than 31 minutes for the season.

Fisher is a USC man through and through, offensive tackle Matt Kalil USC...

If he is hired I want to see who will he brings in as the OC. That will give us a clue as to what his priorities are going to be, but looking at his teams they run first. I would not be shocked if we trade back and get more picks to rebuild with... maybe Trent Richardson is now in play... who knows.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I hate to be a kill joy BUT

Fisher is a USC man through and through, offensive tackle Matt Kalil USC...

If he is hired I want to see who will he brings in as the OC. That will give us a clue as to what his priorities are going to be, but looking at his teams they run first. I would not be shocked if we trade back and get more picks to rebuild with... maybe Trent Richardson is now in play... who knows.
    Thats what i was worried about, his running orientated game plan would make it seem he might be more likely to take Kalil. i hope it doesnt though, i really want Blackmon, and we really need him bad.

Blackmons important to the run as well. He will hold the safeties accountable if they keep loading the box.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

The one knock on Kalil is that his run blocking could use some work, so I definitely think that Fisher's presence would tilt thinks toward Blackmon. I would still prefer Kalil at this point, but between Blackmon's great showing last week and possible changes to our offense, it's really hard to be upset with the Rams drafting Blackmon. Best case scenario though is still probably trade back, as I think the #2 pick is worth quite a bit this year.
    Rambos likes this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Trade back and take Decastro. He is a sure thing and is arguably one of the best players in the draft.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    The one knock on Kalil is that his run blocking could use some work, so I definitely think that Fisher's presence would tilt thinks toward Blackmon. I would still prefer Kalil at this point, but between Blackmon's great showing last week and possible changes to our offense, it's really hard to be upset with the Rams drafting Blackmon. Best case scenario though is still probably trade back, as I think the #2 pick is worth quite a bit this year.

A trade down does worry me a little bit this year. I wouldn't want the Rams to miss out on the top talent, if they drop to far down the draft order. Quantity doesn't always mean quality, does it. So Im just hoping their is some real quality this year, out side the first five picks.???

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Building a strong running game is good and all, but Fisher coached long enough in this league to know how to win in it and he never had a QB of Bradford's caliber, nor would he think that you can still reliably win with exclusively that kind of strategy. Look at the two #1 seeds. #32 and #31 in total defense. Both have ok, but far from great running games, and they wouldn't have that without their pass game to build it off of anyway. Same with NO.

It's become a pass wacky league, and when you have a QB that can put the ball on a spot like Bradford can, you need to give him the guys that can catch the ball. I agree that Fisher might bring in a WCO guy, but I don't know. I'm wanting to get him in first and then to see what potential OC candidates are out there.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    I believe!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Building a strong running game is good and all, but Fisher coached long enough in this league to know how to win in it and he never had a QB of Bradford's caliber, nor would he think that you can still reliably win with exclusively that kind of strategy. Look at the two #1 seeds. #32 and #31 in total defense. Both have ok, but far from great running games, and they wouldn't have that without their pass game to build it off of anyway. Same with NO.

It's become a pass wacky league, and when you have a QB that can put the ball on a spot like Bradford can, you need to give him the guys that can catch the ball. I agree that Fisher might bring in a WCO guy, but I don't know. I'm wanting to get him in first and then to see what potential OC candidates are out there.
    IMO, I think it's just a down year for the Defense Department. I think defenses next year should show flashes of slowing down this pass-happy league while the standard becomes strengthening pass rush techniques as well as coverage schemes. This should eventually lead to seeing the running game become relevant eventually.

If I recall, the 70s and early 80s was a time of the vertical passing game one of the dominant offenses, then enter Bill Walsh with his innovative WCO consisting of a short passing game, ball-control, and tiring out defenses. Those were the days where RBs were very valuable. Then came Randy Moss where he redefined the passing game with his freakish athleticism and a more complex spread offense when he joined Belichick and the Pats.

There'll come a time when a running game becomes increasingly valuable once more, even now they really come in handy when playing in harsh weather conditions where it'll effect a quarterback's passing abilities.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

LOL, Ground Fish? No, doesn't sound right.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

If we take another OT instead of Blackmon I'm going to be very upset. We don't have playmakers. Sure, SJ39 can still go, but not even Jackson can run father time over. We desperately need offensive talent, especially if Lloyd leaves. The Brandon Gibsons and Denario Alexander's of the world just don't cut it anymore. We must draft Blackmon.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
    LOL, Ground Fish? No, doesn't sound right.
    Hopefully we'll have a Rod n' Reel offense. Cast deep and reel in the wins.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Going to make this simple.

Fisher is hired.

Brings in the WCO with his conservative philosophy.

Our o-line proved last year they can block adequately in the WCO scheme.

We would still need to tweak the o-line a bit, but Kalil wouldnt be necessary.

Bring in Blackmon, throw him a slant, and let him do the rest.

Lloyds gone. Draft Blackmon.
    Wow....you really think the line is ok because we have a offensive system....this line may be the worst in franchise history....and you think it is ok.....

I think we need athletes more than anyone but I realize that 2 Legit offensive Linemen must be added for any attempt at going .500 or above next season and beyond

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast