itsguud is offline Registered User

If Fitz goes...?

If Fitz goes what I hope we get in return is a DB. I was optimistically happy when I heard Mad martz was after him b/c he holds almost no intelligence towards D and therefore we should be able to pick up a good DB for Fitz. Especially since he drafted the guy.

What do you guys want in return for Fitz?
    and
    Who do you think we'll get?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: If Fitz goes...?

I think a CB with some experience as a starter would be a very good thing. There are reports that the Jets are trying to trade Andre Dyson, though I don't know that they would have any interest in a QB.

Another interesting question is whether the Rams really need to carry 3 QBs if the trade Fitz. I would think they could just as easily put Berlin on the practice squad without fear that another team would try to poach him (unlike Fitz who, if maintained, would have to be on the roster).

general counsel is offline Registered User

At best a #4 and that would be a stretch in my view. We arent going to get a legitimate player for him. Furthermore, martz isnt the head coach in detroit, he can certainly push for fitz if he wants him on the cheap, but detroit has major problems on D and they arent giving up a decent defensive player for a backup qb just because martz likes him.

Keep in mind that holcomb, a proven backup, was traded for a #6 last week.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Another interesting question is whether the Rams really need to carry 3 QBs if the trade Fitz. I would think they could just as easily put Berlin on the practice squad without fear that another team would try to poach him (unlike Fitz who, if maintained, would have to be on the roster).
    I don't think we need to keep 3 QBs, and like you said it's highly unlikely that anyone would grab Berlin from our practice squad. If we have to use Gus we still have somewhat of a chance, but if we got down to Fitz (assuming we still have him) we would most likely be done, so I would rather open a roster spot or if we get lucky fill it with a decent DB and use Berlin if we had to. Another roster spot or a decent DB is worth more than the difference between Fitz and Berlin.

With that said I don't know realistically how much we could get for Fitz.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

general counsel is offline Registered User

Very interesting point avenger. I agree with the view that if we are looking at fitz as a starter, our season isnt likely to be very promising at that point and the roster spot might be a lot more valuable at this point, especially since we really have 52 spots rather than 53 for the first month due to the brown suspension (he counts against the 53 but cant play)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Very interesting point avenger. I agree with the view that if we are looking at fitz as a starter, our season isnt likely to be very promising at that point and the roster spot might be a lot more valuable at this point, especially since we really have 52 spots rather than 53 for the first month due to the brown suspension (he counts against the 53 but cant play)

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The only real danger of not having 3 active QB's on the sidelines for a game is if MB and GF both get hurt in the same game. Maybe Hagans should take some snaps in practice?

RealRam is offline Registered User

What a difference a day makes. :x

Most of us were calculating three QBs in our 53 man roster. Today we're questioning the spot for Fitz -- and don't get me wrong, I too wonder if we can afford to have 3 QBs, especially with such a good one in Frerotte.

Well, right now I'm not sure what we could / should look for in a Fitzpatrick trade, but his vacancy sure does sound valuable!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Keeping 2 is the answer. I think Avenger should be put in the Rams Oval Office to make decisions...good thinking bud!! Why not at this point.

Flaw is offline Registered User

Hagans could always come in!

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: If Fitz goes...?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    Hagans could always come in!
    lol he could, he has prior experience as a college qb, and he's more athletic than Fitz. I wonder how he would be throwing. I beleive the Colts are keeping 2 qbs since Peyton is never injured. I remember the Skins used Randel El during some games (I believe Brunell was injured) and he proved invaluable in some situations (fakes, WR passes) for them and the Steelers (Hagans is our Randel El factor). Certainly he's not a great NFL qb, but I like the idea of keeping him versatile and giving us open options. I am for trading Fitz for a DB if it comes to that. Unless we can get a DB for something else.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Or Drew Bennett could come in!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hagans, Bennett at QB. Interesting, albeit remote, possibilities. :r

You never know. I suppose Rams coaches are contemplating the odds of that now that Fitz is a QB that may be released. Pros and cons of the game.