Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    moklerman is offline Registered User

If I was the general manager of the Rams

First and foremost, Marmie's gotta go. The experiment was fun for about two seconds but the defense hasn't made any improvement over last year. The linebackers that were supposed to fix personnel problem Marmie's defense was supposedly working under was bologna. The guy just isn't a good D coordinator.

Second, demote Jamie (Chandler) Martin to 3rd string. He's not going to win us any games this year, he won't be here next year and he's just not a very good qb. We'll have to wait on Bulger's status but at this point I would start Fitzpatrick next week. I don't like giving up on a season but it's time for a reality check. Get the kid in there and see what he's got. It's unlikely he will turn the ball over any more than Chandler so give him some live game experience.

Third, put Faulk back in as the starter. Let him play a few games and show Jackson how to hold on to the ball. Jackson looked great when he was running, but two fumbles from your starting tailback in under 20 carries is unacceptable. A guy's gotta be accountable and to me, a lost start is a reasonable penalty.

Lastly, I don't know how to fix the special teams but the 12, 20 and 23 on the last three kickoffs is pathetic. The ball wasn't even making it to the end zone and we couldn't get to the 30 yard line? That's offensive. At this point, I'd make sure the returner was taking a knee in the end zone at every opportunity.

This was a very disheartening loss and I'm very angry with how poorly the team dealt with adversity. I was proud of the defense for a long while but after three starters cramped up there wasn't really any hope of stopping the Colts. There were some bad calls against the Rams but all in all, blowing a 17 point lead is just not acceptable.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: If I was the general manager of the Rams

I Agree With Everyone Of Your Points

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I cant stand it.Feels like we're back to 1998 square 1.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Very good post, Mok.

Unfortunately, I think the time to do something with Marmie isn't until after the season. If Martz was around, you might be able to get away with it now and promote Vitt to defensive coordinator. But with Vitt as acting head coach, who do you promote to replace Marmie? It has to be put on the back burner for that reason, I believe.

You're spot on with the Martin/Fitzpatrick thing. Does Martin provide us the best chance of winning? I'm not sure. Didn't look like it tonight, so maybe it would be worth putting Fitzpatrick in and seeing what he can do.

As for replacing Jackson, I'm not so sure. He had one fumble tonight (with one earlier one actually being ruled as him down before the ball came out), and that gives him two on the season. Faulk also has two on the season. But Faulk's only touched the ball 32 times, while Jackson's touched the ball 115 times.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

thoey is offline Registered User

Can I get a MOd to please take Moke's and Nick's post, slam them together, and then post it under my name? That's how I feel.

Go MB. If he can't go, Go Fitz!
    This space for rent...

RealRam is online now Registered User

Good opener, Mockler. Yet a situation so sad.

Mr. Marmie tried. That's all. Most move on -- business decision.

In hopes of seeing something more positive, I agree, I believe we should start Fitzy, he's shown better -- or at least, equal -- intelligence on the field, albeit for just a few minutes in exhibition!

The rest of the Rams, every single body in the team ... I hope you will head-but as true BigHorn Rams do in the environment of nature.

Work out, work out... :clanram: Smash those horns STRONGER! :angryram:

NOW.
    :1:
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-18-2005 at 01:35 AM.

But Faulk's only touched the ball 32 times, while Jackson's touched the ball 115 times.
    I know it wouldn't be an easy decision but everyone on the team has had fumbling issues this year (it seems). Make an example out of Jackson, since he's going to be here regardless, and try to get these guys to start paying attention to the details of the game.

Going back to last year I thought Jackson's ball security was "iffy" at best. You're right, he technically only had one fumble tonight but that doesn't dismiss the fact that he didn't protect it twice. It doesn't show up in the stat sheet but the one that got overturned wasn't because he was protecting the ball, he was just lucky his knee was baaaaarely down first.

As for Faulk's, I can't make excuses for him either. I think the more he get's into a rhythm the less it will be an issue though. I would attribute his to coming off the bench, being relatively cold.

It's only a short term situation and it's only meant for motivational purposes anyone. Even if Faulk wasn't any better than Jackson, the point is, he has to learn to "never" fumble. If Tiki could do it, then I think Jackson, with his superior size and strength should be able to do it.
    Last edited by moklerman; -10-18-2005 at 02:37 AM.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

The huge letdown is like a california quake. It registered loud and clear by the end of the first half. The bottom line is that this team is struggling at every phase of the game.
    We are just lucky not to here from Martz with his press conferences on how he could have and how he should have made a better call.
    The defensive plays are just to soft and giving up HUGE gains and allowing the passes in the middle zone. Cover 2 is just horrid. They cannot even cover one.
    As the game went on after the Bulger incident it was clear that we were in trouble. When Jamie Martin came in I knew from the past that his stellar short play would ultimately be our down fall. He has cost us big games including rivalry games. He seems to be the only guy this coaching staff goes to acquire when we are in need of a second string. Bring back Jim Everett or Kurt Warner
    A huge let down is the worst feeling. As i said before we are lucky if we finish 7-9 or 6-10. As of tonight's game we just might finish 5-11 and it would be a travesty if the Cards and ***** finish in a better standing.
    17-0 at the half and we just relaxed and gave up big yardage plays and throw in the turnovers. And we just looked as bad as the Giants game but worst this was Monday Night.
    THE FIELD GOAL

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

MOKLERMAN,
    You hit the nail on the head with several points. I had to turn the game off last night, because my stomach was twisting and churning. My body was trying to implode and destroy me for exposing it to the HORROR of the collapse. It is just unreal to have to experience such a rollercoaster ride last evening. You see, I work in the midst of Whiner Country and hundreds there gave me the look and nod yesterday of empathy. Some shook my hand and others patted me on the back. I smiled and felt that there would be a difference because of Martz being out and this meaning something to Coach Vitt & all the rest.

I was so inspired on the way home as I heard the two scores. I finally sat down and watched them play to my delight. I was OK with the game until I saw that we were ripped on the loose ball from that fantastic hit near the goal line and Peyton Manning told the Refs to change the call. I couldn't believe how much he was talking to the Refs and you know he has clout at home. I thought that we were going to the well too much on that infamous INT by Bulger that led to his bad decision and demise of the game. Ivy & Little went down and they began picking us apart; I couldn't watch any more.

I wanted to remember what I saw. We have a team who can perform and achieve. Now we have been set back once more and I don't know what to expect with Bulger's injury. I will not jump off the wagon; I will continue to plow through the muck & mire out here in Whiner Country. They are soooooooo happy for our misfortunes and setbacks.

I really don't want to go to work today to see the looks and hear their silly comments. But alas, to work I must go and down the gauntlet I shall walk. Regardless of the scores and standing, I am still a Saint Louis Rams fan.

ldjohn55:clanram:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    You're right, he technically only had one fumble tonight but that doesn't dismiss the fact that he didn't protect it twice.
    It's hard to protect the football when five to six defenders are piled on you with your forward progress stopped, and the ref doesn't blow the whistle. I don't fault Jackson for the first "fumble" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Even if Faulk wasn't any better than Jackson, the point is, he has to learn to "never" fumble. If Tiki could do it, then I think Jackson, with his superior size and strength should be able to do it.
    Perhaps, but I don't recall Tiki learning how to do it by being benched for Ron Dayne.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd be increasing the personnel on the scout team. Have them in Blacksburg, VA.....Austin, TX........Athens, GA.....and oh yea, Los Angeles....checking out the hometown college teams for LB's and DB's. Hell, hire one scout for every dad gum college team. Georgia has the money.

I've never said this yet, but Marmie just doesn't seem to relate to these guys. I finally agree he has to go. Also, I'd call a meeting of all front office personnel not directly related to the X's and O's of this team and tell them if they don't get behind Martz upon his return they are fired immediately.

I doubt we go to the playoffs this year but in the age of the salary cap that's not necessarily a bad thing. You have to reinvent yourself every year in the NFL now, and by going after youth with lot's of potential that won't necessarily break the bank is a very productive way of getting back to where you want to be.

Don't cry for me Seattle, this is just a bump in the long road.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Third, put Faulk back in as the starter.
    Mok, I don't know that Faulk WANTS the starting job. He was the one that went to Martz to suggest the Jackson promotion. Faulk is smart enough to realize that he can be a full-time starter and make it maybe another season.....or take a back seat and last maybe 3 or 4 more seasons.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I just want to know how anyone can take a guy like Chris Claiborne off the field when James had over 90 yards rushing in the first half. How do you continue to stay in Nickel Formations? Anyone who is that stupid deserves to be fired.

I couldn't watch any more.
    I know the feeling and I was very tempted to turn it off as well. But, my last test for the staff was whether or not they were going to try and stop the bleeding. Maybe put Fitzpatrick in. They scored a late TD to make it somewhat respectable, but it was the Colts showing mercy more than anything.
    I don't fault Jackson for the first "fumble" at all.
    I understand what you mean, Nick, but I think you've not faulted Jackson for any of his fumbles. I brought this up last year when Jackson had fumbles and you said it was a non-issue. Now, he finally get's 20 carries and essentially fumbles twice. To me, he doesn't protect the ball well enough.
    Perhaps, but I don't recall Tiki learning how to do it by being benched for Ron Dayne.
    No, he didn't get benched but Dayne wasn't a viable option. Tiki did see his touches reduced though. In 2002 he had 8 fumbles and another 4 in the first half of 2003. The last 8 games of 2003 he didn't get 20 carries in a game and was down to 9 by the end of the season. They were phasing him out and he got an ultimatum for 2004. Quit fumbling or you're out of a job. Fumbling is unacceptable. Jackson's problem isn't chronic just yet but it's right there under the surface. Nip it in the bud, now or it will be an issue downt he road.
    Georgia has the money.
    The amount of money Georgia has isn't directly proportional to the amount of support the Rams hire. Actually, historically, it's conversely proportional. It's not the like the Rams just don't have any money or support. Georgia isn't as bad as the Bidwell's but I'll be drinking champagne the day she is no long controlling intereset of the Rams.
    He was the one that went to Martz to suggest the Jackson promotion.
    I'll give you that one, but to me, it's a perfect opportunity to re-establish some discipline on the team. "Coach, I think Jackson should be the starter" "Tough, get in there and play". This isn't about what the players want and as much as I respect Faulk, I don't know that it sends a good message when the player get's credit for making personnel decisions.
    How do you continue to stay in Nickel Formations?
    I realize that the MNF game isn't nearly as illuminating as a coaches reel, but all night I kept wondering where the heck the LB's were. I mean before the snap of the ball. They were 10 yards off the line of scrimmage all night long. In goal line situations they kept overplaying and getting taken right out of the play. It was very disturbing. I can only hope that it's the scheme at this point. We seemed to be getting good pressure with the front four in passing situations but the LB positioning/responsibilities seems to be killing us...again. I was very pleased with Furrey on defense. He seemed to be hitting harder than anyone else and I was jumping up and down when he wouldn't be denied the fumble recovery on the early kickoff. I thought the Colt was going to fall on it and Furrey came out of nowhere and took it away.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Try to sign pickett to a long term deal right now. separate post coming on this. our #1 off season priority.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast