bela is offline Registered User

If I were a Rams fanÖ

Iíd really be trying to force myself to stay positive. Thereís a lot to be happy about if you wear blue and gold. A Ramsí team in the process of rebuilding took the defending NFC champs to the wire. Not too shabby - thereís a lot to look forward to.

Iím glad the Seahawks came away with the W, but itís certainly not a victory to gloat about. That game literally could have gone either way. Thus, youíll find no gloating in this post.

Well, no gloating about the Hawks. I will gloat a tiny bit about my predictions. If you remember I predicted the Rams finishing the game minus in turnovers, a Seahawks vicTorry but the Rams covering. Not too shabby, thanks for the C-note bodog.

I have dozens of criticisms for my team, but I assume you arenít interested and I wonít address those here. Instead, Iíll post my honest non-homer opinion of the current state of the Rams team.

Offense

I really do not care for Marc Bulger. I absolutely despise the calm, accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense. Despite my unjustified dislike for him, when heís healthy heís as good as anyone in the NFC. And now that youíve removed the Martz influence and we canít count on 2+ INTs per game he is even more scary.

But what do you say about Torry Holt? I am a diehard fan of your teamís primary rival. I seriously hate the Rams. Really, I am not exaggerating when I say that Ė I even have a little Ram voodoo doll that I do unspeakable things to.

I have no problems hating Marc Bulger, and I canít stand Bruce since the infamous helmet incident. But no matter how hard I try, despite all the punishment heís inflicted on my team, I cannot make myself stop liking Torry Holt.

In an era of prima dona receivers, all Torry Holt does is show up and work hard, make unbelievable catches and help his team win Ė and, he does it as well as anyone in the league. I honestly do not understand why the guy doesnít get the recognition he deserves. T.O.? Chad Johnson? Steve Smith? Iíd take Holt on my team over any of those guys any day.

Jackson is going to be a force for years. Once some of the offensive line issues get worked out (whatís up with Pace?) the Ram offense is looking like one of the best in the league.

Defense

I am going to be brutally frank here. While the Ram offense is championship caliber, the defense just isnít there yet. Make no mistake, you went up against exactly the same offense that was embarrassed in Chicago.

When I learned that Stevens was a late scratch I thought weíd lose for sure. In our offense, the TE is the primary out receiver (since Shaun canít catch). Itís how we deal with the blitz. With Hasletís love for the blitz and I thought itíd be a long day for Hass. Add in the horrible play by the Seahawk offensive line, and Mo Morris proving why he isnít starting on another team (we let him seek a starting position in the off season), and what you have left is a shadow of the normal Seahawk offense.

As it stands right now, the Seahawk offense is a QB and some good receivers. No running threat, no presence in the middle of the field, and an O-line thatís playing poorly. When you take a look at the Ram defense with that in mind, it should be clear that there are some glaring inadequacies.

First off, I was unimpressed with the play of the front 7. ĎSpoon is one notable exception, heís an animal and very quick to the ball. Maybe he just had an off game, but I was unimpressed with Little. Glover, who I think is generally very underrated, had a great game against a rookie center playing at guard Ė but was that Spencer playing badly or Glover playing well?

The rest of the 7 needs work though. When the Rams rushed 4, even against a Seahawk O-line playing very poorly, they struggled to get pressure. And, in the second half they allowed a bad Seahawk running game to thrive (this was really the difference in the game).

Thereís been a lot of focus here on the secondary. And while they probably deserve some criticism, the rest of the defense was not helping. For example, Fisher was on an island all day against very talented receivers. Thatís a tough assignment, and one that he had because of the deficiencies of the front 7. You put any secondary in the league back there against good receivers like that Hawks have and give Hass 3-4 seconds, and they will get burned.

Outlook

Unfortunately, I think this was our only good rivalry game this year.

You have to play good run defense to win on the road in the NFL. The Rams are in the unfortunate position of having a series of difficult road games ahead and an inability to stop the run. San Diego is basically a healthy Seattle thatís playing well. You should win in KC, but by the time you come to Seattle I really donít see the Rams being better than 5-3.

Seattle on the other hand is entering an easy stretch. They have MN at home and are @KC. Realistically those should both be wins, and the Seahawks should be 6-1. Shaun and Stevens will be back, and itís at Qwest. I just donít see that as being nearly as good of a game as this one was.

After the Rams game is gets easier, at San Fran and Green Bay at home. The Hawks are primed to run off some wins, looking at their schedule there's no reason they shouldn't be 10-1 or 9-2 heading into Denver.

The Rams however, follow up the game in Seattle with @Carolina, and still have Chicago and @Minn on your schedule. If you can steal one against Carolina or Minnesota, maybe the Rams grab the wildcard. In my humble opinion 9-7 is more likely, but with the explosiveness of the Rams offensive I wouldnít be the slightest bit surprised if they finish 10-6.

Again, no disrespect intended but I don't expect the division to be close for the rest of the seasaon.

Anyway, despite a rough start (no hard feelings AV), Iíve had a great time here this week. Youíve got a group of friendly, knowledgeable and mostly non-homer fans here. Iíll be wishing you guys luck the rest of the season, Iíd love to see you steal the wildcard and end up at Qwest in January. A 3-loss payback for 2004 would be oh so sweet.

See ya in a couple weeks...
    Last edited by bela; -10-16-2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: If I were a Rams fanÖ

Interesting post Bela...and really can't disagree with too much, except obviously your assumption that a home win against us is an automatic.

Near as I can recall, home field hasn't made much difference in our series in the last three years.

One other point - you assume a win against Minnesota, and a tough game for us. I see Minnesota as a win, with you and Carolina as 50-50s. I cannot honestly say I view the Bears as anything but a loss.

If Iwere you, (their performances of late notwithstanding), I wouldn't look past the ****** just yet, (or even the Cards for that matter, now that they've gone with Linert).

Based on yesterday, (considering possible tiebreakers), iMO the division is yours.

Difference between our two teams is we're getting better and you are not.

And can you honestly tell me you'd rather have Stevens than Branch?

So really, all you're missing is Alexander, and based on yesterday, I feel Hutch was a huge part of his success to date.

16 games...

See ya in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to it.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

:
    Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    Iíd really be trying to force myself to stay positive. Thereís a lot to be happy about if you wear blue and gold. A Ramsí team in the process of rebuilding took the defending NFC champs to the wire. Not too shabby - thereís a lot to look forward to.

Iím glad the Seahawks came away with the W, but itís certainly not a victory to gloat about. That game literally could have gone either way. Thus, youíll find no gloating in this post.

Well, no gloating about the Hawks. I will gloat a tiny bit about my predictions. If you remember I predicted the Rams finishing the game minus in turnovers, a Seahawks victory but the Rams covering. Not too shabby, thanks for the C-note bodog.

I have dozens of criticisms for my team, but I assume you arenít interested and I wonít address those here. Instead, Iíll post my honest non-homer opinion of the current state of the Rams team.

Offense

I really do not care for Marc Bulger. I absolutely despise the calm, accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense. Despite my unjustified dislike for him, when heís healthy heís as good as anyone in the NFC. And now that youíve removed the Martz influence and we canít count on 2+ INTs per game he is even more scary.

But what do you say about Tory Holt? I am a diehard fan of your teamís primary rival. I seriously hate the Rams. Really, I am not exaggerating when I say that Ė I even have a little Ram voodoo doll that I do unspeakable things to.

I have no problems hating Marc Bulger, and I canít stand Bruce since the infamous helmet incident. But no matter how hard I try, despite all the punishment heís inflicted on my team, I cannot make myself stop liking Tory Holt.

In an era of prima dona receivers, all Tory Holt does is show up and work hard, make unbelievable catches and help his team win Ė and, he does it as well as anyone in the league. I honestly do not understand why the guy doesnít get the recognition he deserves. T.O.? Chad Johnson? Steve Smith? Iíd take Holt on my team over any of those guys any day.

Jackson is going to be a force for years. Once some of the offensive line issues get worked out (whatís up with Pace?) the Ram offense is looking like one of the best in the league.

Defense

I am going to be brutally frank here. While the Ram offense is championship caliber, the defense just isnít there yet. Make no mistake, you went up against exactly the same offense that was embarrassed in Chicago.

When I learned that Stevens was a late scratch I thought weíd lose for sure. In our offense, the TE is the primary out receiver (since Shaun canít catch). Itís how we deal with the blitz. With Hasletís love for the blitz and I thought itíd be a long day for Hass. Add in the horrible play by the Seahawk offensive line, and Mo Morris proving why he isnít starting on another team (we let him seek a starting position in the off season), and what you have left is a shadow of the normal Seahawk offense.

As it stands right now, the Seahawk offense is a QB and some good receivers. No running threat, no presence in the middle of the field, and an O-line thatís playing poorly. When you take a look at the Ram defense with that in mind, it should be clear that there are some glaring inadequacies.

First off, I was unimpressed with the play of the front 7. ĎSpoon is one notable exception, heís an animal and very quick to the ball. Maybe he just had an off game, but I was unimpressed with Little. Glover, who I think is generally very underrated, had a great game against a rookie center playing at guard Ė but was that Spencer playing badly or Glover playing well?

The rest of the 7 needs work though. When the Rams rushed 4, even against a Seahawk O-line playing very poorly, they struggled to get pressure. And, in the second half they allowed a bad Seahawk running game to thrive (this was really the difference in the game).

Thereís been a lot of focus here on the secondary. And while they probably deserve some criticism, the rest of the defense was not helping. For example, Fisher was on an island all day against very talented receivers. Thatís a tough assignment, and one that he had because of the deficiencies of the front 7. You put any secondary in the league back there against good receivers like that Hawks have and give Hass 3-4 seconds, and they will get burned.

Outlook

Unfortunately, I think this was our only good rivalry game this year.

You have to play good run defense to win on the road in the NFL. The Rams are in the unfortunate position of having a series of difficult road games ahead and an inability to stop the run. San Diego is basically a healthy Seattle thatís playing well. You should win in KC, but by the time you come to Seattle I really donít see the Rams being better than 5-3.

Seattle on the other hand is entering an easy stretch. They have MN at home and are @KC. Realistically those should both be wins, and the Seahawks should be 6-1. Shaun and Stevens will be back, and itís at Qwest. I just donít see that as being nearly as good of a game as this one was.

After the Rams game is gets easier, at San Fran and Green Bay at home. The Hawks are primed to run off some wins, looking at their schedule there's no reason they shouldn't be 10-1 or 9-2 heading into Denver.

The Rams however, follow up the game in Seattle with @Carolina, and still have Chicago and @Minn on your schedule. If you can steal one against Carolina or Minnesota, maybe the Rams grab the wildcard. In my humble opinion 9-7 is more likely, but with the explosiveness of the Rams offensive I wouldnít be the slightest bit surprised if they finish 10-6.

Again, no disrespect intended but I don't expect the division to be close for the rest of the seasaon.

Anyway, despite a rough start (no hard feelings AV), Iíve had a great time here this week. Youíve got a group of friendly, knowledgeable and mostly non-homer fans here. Iíll be wishing you guys luck the rest of the season, Iíd love to see you steal the wildcard and end up at Qwest in January. A 3-loss payback for 2004 would be oh so sweet.

See ya in a couple weeks...
    I think your views on our defense are right on. But do I care about your views about our team or your team? I really don't! Calling the Chargers a healthy version of your seahawks is a slap in the face to every Charger fan in the world. The Chargers have played great so far, what have your seahags done? They got destroyed by the Bears and they bearly beat the Rams(54 yard field goal). I bet you if the Bears played the Chargers the game would be a lot closer then it was with the seahags. I know there are Rams fans that will disagree with what I am about to say but why don't you leave this forum to us (RAMS FANS) and go post on some seahags site:l

bela is offline Registered User

VegasRam

I donít look past anybody. Itís the NFL, you have to look at games as probability of victory. For example, say we have an 80% chance of victory in San Fran. We should win, but that 20% can and does happen. I see MN as a win because we are at home. Over the last couple seasons we have really established Qwest as a tough place to play (12-0 over last 12 games).

By that same rationale though the Rams could walk in the SD and come away with a W, but IMO the probability of a L is higher.

Home field didnít matter in 2004 against the Rams, but we have improved dramatically. But with the different directions I expect our teams to head over the next two weeks, the return of Shaun and Stevens, I think the game in Seattle will be much tougher for STL than this one. Again, I'm not assuming a win, but I do think it will be a tougher go for the Rams in Seattle than this game in STL. I donít think thatís an inaccurate statement.

Regarding Stevens though. Itís a much bigger affect than your giving him credit for. A WR isnít a replacement for a TE, especially with as much as we use out TEs. Stevens is huge in the run game, and he really opens up the middle of the field. Heís our primary defense against the blitz, whereas WR plays are very slow to develop. Branch was huge, and heís a great addition, but he doesnít replace the loss of our TE anymore than Holt would replace the loss of Jackson.

I donít know what to say about the Shaun comment. We let Mo look for a starting job in the off-season and he couldnít find one, whereas Shaun is the reigning NFL MVP. He doesnít fumble (like Mo does), heís money in the red zone Ė he is the focal point of our offense. I wouldn't have used it as an excuse for a loss, but I don't think that you can argue that we are not a much better team when he's on the field.

I re-read my OP and it came across harsher than I intended. I was merely trying to say that your front-7 better learn to get pressure and stop the run if you guys want to come through the next several games with a shot at the playoffs.
    Last edited by bela; -10-16-2006 at 03:02 PM.

supachump is offline Registered User

Funny how you dont like Bulger for his calm demeanor. I completely hate Hasselback for what often comes across as cocky and crybaby esque att. Other end of the spectrum I suppose.

I only agree with some of your post. The Rams defense has its problems for sure. If they get over their cornerback problems, things will look up and be acceptable.

The Seahawks arent exactly lighting the league on fire this year. Most of the praise was from last years leftovers and a lot of people seem to be living in the past. Alexander never looked very good this whole year, Hassleback isnt as sharp as previous years.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    I really do not care for Marc Bulger. I absolutely despise the calm, accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense.
    You're not alone in this feeling bela. Many Rams fans feel the same way about his demeanor, but you're all going to have to just accept it, because this is who he is. Good thing those who's opinions really count, his teammates, don't have a problem with how he carries himself.

I equate Bulger's on-field manner with another Pittsburgh area QB, Johnny Unitus, who didn't do badly for himself in the NFL.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

When Torry Holt made that outstanding catch for long TD to put us in the lead, I actually saw Bulger do the fist pump. That's the most emotion I've ever seen from him.

general counsel is offline Registered User

This is a terrific post by a very knowledgeable fan who happens to be a very good guy. There is no reason to say that we dont care what he thinks. Its quite the opposite. I think a perspective from a knowledgeable guy who is not a fan of our team is very very helpful. He doesnt have any agenda to either say we stink or we are great. He calls it like he sees it and from my perspective, his writeup is on target to the extreme.

Say what you want, we are not a very good defensive football team right now. B etter? Sure, but better than what, a college level non tackling debacle of last year. Just look at the points we are giving up. We are not getting pressure on the qb and really cant stop the run very well.

A little noted play in the game yesterday was the first seahawks play from scrimmage, a sure int that resulted in a drop by oj. Carter had his head so far up his butt on the 42 yard td it was embarrasing. three guys on the receiver and its a td anyway, behind the defense in the end zone on 3rd and 15.

Making plays against green bay, arizona and detroit is one thing. This is where quality of opposition counts and we werent up to the task. At this point, we are a marginal wild card team. Bela is right. The odds of winning in seattle are slim, not impossible, but slim.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

with respect to everyone who has posted.

I fully understand VegasRams attitude. We lost a game to a div rival. Game is over and we NEED to heal as fans. I certainly dont need a fan from the team who just beat us, giving me pointers on OUR team.

Like I said, with respect, but I am pointing out what a lot of people are thinking.

Bela, I have enjoyed your posts the last week or so, but maybe its time to shut up shop until its rival week again

PS
    :seasux:
    no offence you understand LOL