View Poll Results: If Jackson sits, should his toughness be challenged?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. We're not doctors and should not challenge decisions of this type.

25 40.98%
  • No. He's too important to risk further injury, and should only play if 100%.

13 21.31%
  • Yes. He should play through the pain.

23 37.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If Jackson sits, will his reputation for toughness take a hit?

A fair question, no?

Re: If Jackson sits, will his reputation for toughness take a hit?

I won't be surprised if a lot of fans vote "yes," but I voted "no." I don't think there are many players who want to sit. When they do, its because they must. I have no reason to presume that Jackson is any different.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I won't be surprised if a lot of fans vote "yes," but I voted "no." I don't think there are many players who want to sit. When they do, its because they must. I have no reason to presume that Jackson is any different.
    I voted yes because I'm selfish like that I just feel like if Merriman (who i don't like) can play with an injury that could have ended his career (which was totally stupid), that Jackson can, for several millions of dollers, take something for the pain and help the team win. If he's risking injury, I'd wait for the doctor to clear him, but I don't think he is since he's running in practice. There isn't a whole lot that most of us wouldn't do for how much he gets in one game check... I just think that he should be able to tolerate for how much he's getting paid...just my opinion though

DaCards is offline Registered User

I think he should sit to make sure everything is OK and he is ready to go after the cardinals win

ludawg23 is offline Registered User

This is a big division game, he needs to suck it up and play.

The whole offense runs through him and it changes the dynamics of the offense.

He's had a week off and this really isn't a tough matchup for him...

hoosierdaddy is offline Registered User

No, i dont think toughness should be judged by if a player should or should not play through an injury that doctors tell him not too.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I go with what the doctors advise. If he's risky serious injury by playing, he sits. Has nothing to do with toughness in my mind.

On the other side of the coin if he's not risking serious injury by playing then he plays. That's when his toughness would show whether good or bad. I have to believe he wants to play in this game and if there's the slightest chance he can go he will be on the field Sunday.
    Last edited by laram0; -10-30-2008 at 10:38 AM.

itsguud is offline Registered User

The game is too important for him to be sitting which he has done far too often in recent years. We are paying him enough for him to play through.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

There are good arguments for both parts.

Personally, I will not challenge his injury. I've never endured such a injury so I don't know how it feels. I know though, if he needs to sit, then he needs to sit. I don't know how effective he will be. Who knows, a healthy Pittman might be better than him.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I said yes for one reason and one reason only, he was good enough to think about playing last week, didn't play, and I haven't heard anything about a setback this week. If it is indeed a minor strain, I would think that he should be able to play on it this week.

Having him could have been the difference between a win and loss last week, we certainly could use him this week.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I am getting extremely frustrated with the injury situation on this team. This is two straight years now that we have our top players sitting out with injuries on a regular basis. Whats the point of this game? To win, to get to the playoffs, and to win championships ...

I don't understand how, or why, we hear that Jackson has a quad bruise, and that is he iffy for playing against the Pats, then he sits, and then its highly likely he's going to play against the Cards, now all of the sudden, he may have to sit because "he's not healing as quick as expected?"

Adam Carriker hurts an ankle, they claim he could have come back and played against Dallas. A relatively minor low ankle sprain, then he doesn't even make the trip to New England, and is likely out against the Cards ...

Leonard Little has a hamstring pull that he admits will be with him all year. So whats the point of sitting out this game? This is the biggest game of the year for us, the season is practically over with a loss ....

Fact is, we aren't getting into the playoffs as a wild card in the NFC. 10 wins might not even do that. The only way we are getting in is if we win the division. That all starts against the Cards. We lose this game, and there is pretty much zero chance we win this division. They would be up three games on us with the tiebreaker ...

So really, if these guys can walk and run, they need to play, what is the point of sitting out? Unless there is a potential career threatening injury situation (confirmed by doctors), which there doesn't appear to be as we are not talking broken bones and ligament tears, its really now or never ...

We HAVE to win this game. I don't think we can do it if Jackson, Carriker, and Little are all out again ....

I've seen alot of complaining about Bulger stealing a paycheck with his performance. But sitting out a game because of a little pain, because you'd rather come back next week, or the next, when you are "100%", well, that seems borderline fraudlent to me. So unless we hear more information about the severity of these injuries, I do not understand how these guys do not suck it up and at least TRY to play ...

Fact is, I'd rather Jackson kill the Big Dead this week, then maybe sit out a week or two, if it means a win, rather than him not play this week, and be 100% next week if it makes a loss. I think we can beat the Jets and Niners without Jackson: I do not think we can beat the Cards without him ...

Seriously, has there been a situation recently more now-or-never than this game for our Rams?
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -10-30-2008 at 12:12 PM.

supachump is online now Registered User

I already thought that he was a bit of a sissy. This only strengthens that.

I voted yes.

Interesting. The poll started with a lot of "no" votes, but now has started to shift to more "yes" votes.

You also have to wonder who is truly making the decision. If a player is nearing free agency, he would have an incentive to avoid risking further injury, as it could hamper a future payday. On the other hand, a player like Jackson, who is already signed to a big deal, might be encouraged by the Front Office not to risk a long-term injury for the sake of one game.

Not sure that any of that is going here.

My guess is that Jackson will ultimately play this game.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

My guess is that Jackson will ultimately play this game.
    I know Jim Haslett (we went to different schools together ) he's playing the Bill Belichick game with the injuries regarding our team. Haslett is trying to keep the Cardinals guessing. I agree with Av in that Jackson will be playing.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

If he sits out, Haslett will suffer yet another defeat!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast