throwback week

View Poll Results: If Jackson sits, should his toughness be challenged?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. We're not doctors and should not challenge decisions of this type.

25 40.98%
  • No. He's too important to risk further injury, and should only play if 100%.

13 21.31%
  • Yes. He should play through the pain.

23 37.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: If Jackson sits, will his reputation for toughness take a hit?

Jackson HAS to play in this game ....

I don't have to say anything else about it, I don't think ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -10-30-2008 at 03:21 PM.

locazn is offline Registered User

without him ... bulger brings us to the redzone ....another field goal...just like the patriots game..

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I vote no but I don't like the wording of either "no" option.

It's not purely a medical decision. Strategy for this season and the future of the franchise depend on SJ's continuing to be dominant,not just on the field. I don't want to see another Faulk crash like we had after the '01 season.

I bet you would only get a handful of honest affirmative responses from any full-time NFL player when asked if they were 100% seven games into the season. Big difference between ,for example, Long playing through a broken finger and Little, Carriker, or SJ trying to play with bad wheels at positions where lower body strength and explosiveness are key to success.

In any case, why are people getting their knickers in a twist about something that hasn't happened yet? All I've read is that SJ & Adam "The Mighty Ant" are being helped in their rehab by practicing judiciously to protect their health and prep the alternates who may be needed to start or sub.

Sounds sensible to me. Could even be a bit of coaching shenanigans on Haz's part.NFL injury reports 3 days before a game are about as reliable as a Fakhir pee test.

I'm not trying to diss anyone in particular but shouldn't we be facing adversity as fans with the same new-found intestinal fortitude that we've been loving about our team?

It's about what's best for the team, short & long term, not any
    one player or their reputation as a tough guy.
    Very few of the good things that have happened to this team on the field this year can be discussed without mentioning Haz, SJ, MB, Little, or even Carriker who I think is an unsung hero on our D-line.
    I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to doing the best to help The Rams win.

I don't want to hijack the thread but maybe a more productive discussion would be about why The Rams seem to suffer these soft-tissue injuries at such an alarming rate. The sandbox thing seems to have reduced the injury du jour of high ankle sprains but maybe we need a yoga program like The Titans have. It was giggled at in TC when we worked with them but is there any doubt which is the tougher team?

shower beers is offline Registered User

I don't think people think enough about the position he plays. It's arguably the toughest position in terms of staying healthy. A RB runs into people 30 times a game. He gets tackled over and over again, and when he's not doing that, he's blocking players who are usually much bigger than he is. Sure, arguments could be made to other positions being tougher, and I'm certainly not here to say they're not, but it's tough for me not to keep this in mind when considering running back durability. To think that a running back should play every game in the season is almost foolish, given the nature of their position.

And that's probably a good reason why more and more teams are establishing committee's in their backfield. It's been going well for Washington, and has allowed Portis to tear defenses apart late in the game.

So, to answer the question, no it will not take a hit in my opinion.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I've always questioned his toughness. Injuries was one of the big question marks when the Rams drafted him, and he's done nothng to disprove the notion that he's injury prone.

If he's not at 100% on Sunday, I don't want him anywhere near the field. And if he's not at 100% and on the field, the Rams chances of winning are slim.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

rampower is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I won't be surprised if a lot of fans vote "yes," but I voted "no." I don't think there are many players who want to sit. When they do, its because they must. I have no reason to presume that Jackson is any different.
    my heart wants to say play, as if we lose we will probably not complete in the nfc west this year, but if you have taught me one thing AV, it is this, ruining jackson for the season to win one game means we will definitely be out of the race. Head has to rule heart

If he sits, he has too.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

To me it really comes down to whether there is a chance of aggravating the injury by playing. If it's a strain or a tear or anything that could potentially sideline him for longer or threaten the longevity of his career, then I have no qualms about him sitting until the doctors clear him. On the other hand, if we're just talking about a bad bruise, I'd expect him to play through it. So I guess I'll take the "I'm not a doctor" option.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I voted for does he have a "reputation for toughness"...

Wait, that wasn't a choice!

I wasn't aware he had such a reputation so I cannot judge if it would take a hit. One needs to be tough to play in the NFL, so maybe it was a "given" like in Geometry... but I never understood that either. >8(
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

btimsah Guest

I choose Ron Paul....

JFMose is offline Registered User

oh yeah he can totally sit out of this crucial division game.

Cmon Jackson we need you!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    he's playing the Bill Belichick game with the injuries regarding our team. Haslett is trying to keep the Cardinals guessing.
    I agree, Haslett is pretty much saying all our injured players are "questionable", Meaning the Cards won't find out until the game starts. Even so, I don't buy into the fact that the Cards won't prepare for Jackson because he's listed as questionable...From what I've read, Jackson sounds like he's feeling good about it, and him in lineup will give us the better chance of coming out on top.

thoey is offline Registered User

First, Jackson is a great back, one of the toughest runners I have seen in a long time, but he is only tough when he is on the field. I understand RB is a tough position and a lot of bumps and bruises happen, but I think he is creating a negative reputation for himself as to coming up with minor injuries that keep him off the field.

This is his fifth season in the league and he has only managed one complete season:

Career Stats more
    Season Team Rushing Receiving Fumbles
    G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
    2008 St. Louis Rams 6 6 121 508 4.2 56T 4 25 259 10.4 53 0 2 1
    2007 St. Louis Rams 12 12 237 1,002 4.2 54 5 38 271 7.1 37 1 5 2
    2006 St. Louis Rams 16 16 346 1,528 4.4 59T 13 90 806 9.0 64T 3 4 2
    2005 St. Louis Rams 15 15 254 1,046 4.1 51 8 43 320 7.4 27 2 3 3
    2004 St. Louis Rams 14 3 134 673 5.0 48 4 19 189 9.9 28 0 1 1
    TOTAL 1,092 4,757 4.4 59 34 215 1,845 8.6 64 6 15 9

So, if you ask me, and you did, I say no, his reputation doesn't take a hit, it just continues the way his career has gone. In the words of Coach Green:

"He is who we thought he was..."
    This space for rent...

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

No but for a big, strong, mouthy guy, he's kinda tender.

theodus69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    No but for a big, strong, mouthy guy, he's kinda tender.
    Is it my imagination or is this guy always hurt after a big game for himself. He is pretty tender(G-Rammer) hit it on the head or whatever is hurt on the guy this time. When I hear the word toughness, Jackson has never came to mind..............Not even once!!!!!!!!!!!

The Special One is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Fact is, I'd rather Jackson kill the Big Dead this week, then maybe sit out a week or two, if it means a win, rather than him not play this week, and be 100% next week if it makes a loss. I think we can beat the Jets and Niners without Jackson: I do not think we can beat the Cards without him ...

Seriously, has there been a situation recently more now-or-never than this game for our Rams?
    Great post Infiniti. I would be really disappointed if Jackson played no part in Sunday's game. The fact is, a loss on Sunday could virtually end any chance we have of winning the NFC West. Jackson suiting up this weekend would be massive in so many ways. Not only does our offense become so much more balanced with a consistent run and pass attack, but it also opens up the play action pass for us to take a shot at a home run play, exactly how we scored the big Avery TD against New England. Without him, our offense may become too one-dimensional especially if Pittmann and Minor can't be effective.

We all know Jackson's injury isn't THAT serious. He has hasn't broken anything. All it is, is a thigh tweak that ultimately can affect his prodcutivity. That said, the tweak was okay enough for him to almost play last week against the Pats. Now that it's around 85% okay and with still more time to heal until the Arizona game, I think he just HAS to play. An 85% Steven Jackson is good enough, I don't think it matters if he isn't in perfect 100% condition. We need him out there, and I think his reputation for toughness will go down in my eyes if he's inactive on Sunday.

As Infiniti said, we NEED to win this huge division game and that the Rams can go to the Jets and Whiners and win without Jackson if he tweaks it again this week. It looks very difficult though to win Sunday without him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast