View Poll Results: How should the Patriots be punished if the Spygate allegations are true?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forfeiture of Super Bowl 36 title in record books.

17 32.08%
  • Suspend Belichick for a minimum of one season.

11 20.75%
  • Forfeiture of additional draft choices.

3 5.66%
  • Huge monetary fine.

1 1.89%
  • Restitution to the Rams (i.e. give up picks to the Rams)

11 20.75%
  • Something more severe?

8 15.09%
  • Something less severe?

2 3.77%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: If the latest "Spygate" allegations are true, what should be the consequence?

some people may not agree with this, but it wouldent be fair to totally take it away from them. i wouldent have a problem with it but what they should do is at least make it "co"superbowl champs

Built RAM tough

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: If the latest "Spygate" allegations are true, what should be the consequence?

They should be stricken from the history books as winners of Superbowl 36. I wouldn't want the Rams to win a Superbowl in court either so I don't think we should be appointed winners. If the Patriots hadn't cheated who knows what would have happened, they may have cheated getting to the Superbowl as well so we may have had to face another team etc. etc. you can't really do this 'what if' excercise and award the trophy to someone else.

Superbowl Winners 2001/2002 - N/A

That would be the punishment for the franchise - maybe it should be combined with a VERY heavy fine too since they made a killing winning that Superbowl - just so crime doesn't pay which is the way it should be.

Then comes the personal punishments - I think Belicheck at the very least should be punished personally too, you can discuss how far you go with this: do you punish the owner, FO, coordinators etc. I'm not sure but Belicheck was clearly the mastermind behind it all so he should face personal consequences. Those consequences should be banning him for a full season - like you'd do with players that cheat by repeatedly taking drugs (Belicheck's infraction is actually worse when you think about it).

So I guess I'm for a combination of several factors, I voted for removing them as winners of the Superbowl though, since that is the most important thing to me: that history does not remember them as winners of that game.

What I would like to see now is a proper investigation first to find the full extent of their cheating and then hand out the punishments afterwards as is appropriate for what was discovered. On a sidenote I don't understand why any honest man would ever burn evidence (like the commish did) - why not keep it for posterity to remove any doubts that justice was not served? The only reason is if you have something to hide.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

all of the above should be an option

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Lets face it, the NFL is NOT going to take the championship away from the Pats. If the spying allegation is true, and I believe it is, the NFL should do to Belichick what MLB did to the Black Sox and Pete Rose. Out of the sport, out of the HoF FOREVER.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

More severe: Vacate the title, suspend Belichick for at least a year, and severe financial penalties to the Patriots-loss of revenue and loss of about 20-30 million in cap space.

Hey-this loss was devastating to the Rams franchise. It would only be fair to be equally devastating to New England.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I just want the truth to get out. Let the court of public opinion exact its punishment on them. Asterix or not. At this point, it's not about money or picks or even getting Belichick suspended (although that would be nice). I just want for us to all know just how much cheating actually took place. Did they just tape the walkthrough or were they sneaking guys into our practices before that? What else did they do?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Man are we softies! What is fair is fair. I'm not feeling: "don't take away their title i don't want it through courts, i want it on the field." That is lame!

Here is what you do, because I don't think Belichek will be directly implicated.

1. Just add the asterisk
    2. Fine (We're talkin' lots of Mazzarella)
    3. Take away daft picks (1 & 2 for 4 years)
    4. Suspension of those directly implicated. (Whole season)

There must be serious measures taken. The Patriots should be put on display so that no one ever thinks they can pull this off and get away with it.

What they did challenges the integrity of the game. These guys at this point can't even visit or be speakers at public schools.

These measures are reasonable. Like the other opinions I don't think they will strip away the Lambardi from them, but at least we get a sense of satisfaction that we received justice.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    The only real solution would be to suspend Bellichek and/or more fines + loss of draftpicks. The whole taking away their #30 pick in the first round was BS. They should have lost their highest first round pick, which would be #8 they got from the Whiners.
    I also found that to be pretty lame punishment,you let them keep the high #1 pick and take the later pick,Godell needs to grow a set when it comes to the Patriots,punish them like you would any other team.

Keenum is offline Registered User

At the VERY LEAST, I think they should be stripped of the Super Bowl title.
    Be it they are just stripped of it, or it is given to us.
    But the same should also be looked at in that Eagles game. If they cheated in that one as well, they should be stripped of it.
    Think about this, the Pats could go from being a dynasty* (no matter what I will always use that * when talking about that) to a one time Super Bowl winner. Heck, they may have cheated against the Panthers and we just haven't found out yet!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Even though I want the title, it's in the books, on merchandise. It's kinda hard to do something like that with everything out there already.

I said they should suspend the coach, fine him, AND give us their picks.

Truth is offline Registered User

I agree that NE should have the 2001 SB championship taken from them. At this point, any further discipline for that infraction is pointless.

As for this past season, I think it's ridiculous that NE only gave up their 1st round pick. But, were able to maintain SF's pick (#7 I believe). They should have lost any rights to a 1st round pick of any kind. While we're at it, take their 2nd round pick as well.
    Last edited by Truth; -02-06-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I posted this in another thread and still stand by this:

"They cheated. The Refs helped. The NFL turned the other way for years. Seems to me that the lost Patriots #1 pick coming up should belong to the Rams.

They won't take the trophy, but at least give the most offended organization the forfieted pick."
    Semper Fi!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    at least give the most offended organization the forfieted pick."
    this one could be debatable to which team the pick should go to as the Eagles and Panthers also could make same claim.

Hopefully some hard facts could be established so that when it comes to retribution the reward can go to most deserving even though I feel that the fans are the ones that were hurt the most. :\
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

dorotheajn is offline Registered User

I want Belicheat suspended for at least a year

And I want Patriots to loose some of their higher draft picks. Taking away their draft picks will have far greater consequences than just fining them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
  2. -02-04-2008, 01:11 PM