throwback week



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

  1. #1
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,866
    Rep Power
    154

    If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    As we all know, Brandon Lloyd is a free agent after this season. He had to be happy to reunite with former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, whom he was productive under in Denver. But given the state of the franchise, it's entirely possible (if not probable) that coaching changes will be made after this season. That could include letting McDaniels go as offensive coordinator.

    If McDaniels isn't here, do you think Lloyd has much motivation to re-sign with this Rams team after such a dismal season? Consider his comments from the Doug Gottlieb Show last month about his personal goals:

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Lloyd
    This isn't a a celebration for me and my athletic ability. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to get into a playoff game and see how I perform on that stage. I am just a piece to help everyone achieve what we are trying to achieve. We are trying to get this season on the right track. Catching all those passes last year and getting all those yards was fun as hell, don't get me wrong. But I'm more concerned with getting into the playoffs as soon as possible at this stage of my career.
    While first year head coaches of losing teams generally have a hard time making a playoff run in their first year, one could make the argument that the right coach could lead a healthy Rams team to at least contend in the weak NFC West. But retaining Lloyd would mean either slapping him with the franchise tag ($9.4 million for receivers next year) or giving him a substantial enough contract extension to convince him not to test the market.

    Lloyd has certainly stepped in and became the Rams' top target; his 32 receptions for 430 yards and four touchdowns in seven games with the Rams represent averages that no other Rams receiver has been able to put together this season. But I think most would agree that they aren't exactly earth-shattering numbers, so the Rams may not be inclined to shell out a lot of money to retain Lloyd.

    Another factor for Lloyd to consider is that he was traded for only a sixth-round pick (well, now it's a fifth-round pick b/c of the number of receptions he's made). That's not a steep asking price for a legitimate starting receiver, but that no one offered more might be a hint at limited interest he could draw as a free agent. It's entirely possible no one is going to give him the kind of deal he may want after his break-out year with McDaniels.

    So what's your prediction? If there are coaching changes that involve McDaniels leaving the Rams after this season, do you think Brandon Lloyd re-signs?


  2. #2
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,695
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    In my view, its more likely than not that he will leave if McDaniels leaves, but at the end of the day, its going to come down to money. It's not just the personal connection in my opinion, its the fact that a third system in three years for bradford is likely to make it even tougher on Sam, which in turn makes it tougher on Lloyd. Its certainly possible that if the rams hire a coordinator with a history of downfield passing rather than dink and dunk west coast, AND the rams are willing to pay big bucks, he would stay, but i think a lot depends on what his agent thinks he can get on the open market. I am not sure that i buy into the idea that the market in draft picks reflects what he might get in money, given how (in my opinion) teams overvalue their draft picks.

    I think another factor is what the rams do with their offensive line. Personally, i am less concerned about scheme and more concerned about our ability to block, because if we cant do that, we certainly cant throw the ball down the field and Lloyd can not really flourish.

    In short, intangibles aside, i dont see Lloyd leaving several million on the table for a chance to work with McDaniels and if the rams arent willing to pay what lloyd and his agent see as close to market, with or without Josh, there is a real chance we lose him. Our best shot at keeping him is making a prompt commitment to Josh and a meaningful offer to Lloyd quickly.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  3. #3
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    In my view, its more likely than not that he will leave if McDaniels leaves, but at the end of the day, its going to come down to money. It's not just the personal connection in my opinion, its the fact that a third system in three years for bradford is likely to make it even tougher on Sam, which in turn makes it tougher on Lloyd. Its certainly possible that if the rams hire a coordinator with a history of downfield passing rather than dink and dunk west coast, AND the rams are willing to pay big bucks, he would stay, but i think a lot depends on what his agent thinks he can get on the open market. I am not sure that i buy into the idea that the market in draft picks reflects what he might get in money, given how (in my opinion) teams overvalue their draft picks.

    I think another factor is what the rams do with their offensive line. Personally, i am less concerned about scheme and more concerned about our ability to block, because if we cant do that, we certainly cant throw the ball down the field and Lloyd can not really flourish.

    In short, intangibles aside, i dont see Lloyd leaving several million on the table for a chance to work with McDaniels and if the rams arent willing to pay what lloyd and his agent see as close to market, with or without Josh, there is a real chance we lose him. Our best shot at keeping him is making a prompt commitment to Josh and a meaningful offer to Lloyd quickly.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    With the way the Rams have performed since his arrival, and IF playoff football is so important to him, because of his age.? I very much doubt he will sign here. It will all depend on if he get's a better offer elsewhere.? Probably a 50/50 chance Lloyd signs with the Rams.?

  4. #4
    bradwill's Avatar
    bradwill is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    456
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    I think the only way he re-signs with the Rams if McDaniels departs is if the Rams dramatically overpay him. While it's a given that GM's have to overpay for UFA's, the Rams have so ridiculously gone to that extreme for guys like Butler, Brown and Bell that the next GM is likely going to err on the side of caution instead of breaking the bank again, especially when saddled with Brown and Jason Smith's contracts already, and that's not counting Bradford.

    I think McDaniels is gone along with the rest of the coaching staff so I think it's only a 25% chance or so Lloyd comes back to a team that is right at the bottom of the NFL and about to have to re-tool again.

  5. #5
    codeman123's Avatar
    codeman123 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    canada
    Age
    24
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    McDaniels failed as a head coach. He got a chance to be in a good situation coaching a franchise QB in an up and coming offense. He and the offense rank last in almost every category. Good teams already have a good offense and good offensive coordinators. Bad teams see what he did with a quarterback that is better than their quarterback. Its not like someones calling days after Josh is fired so excited to bring him in. The only place that's even a possibility is KC because of Cassel and Pioli (and they ran a similar offense with Weis). Still, with how unsuccessful he's been its hard to imagine.
    If Lloyd likes it here, likes the players (Sam, Jack), and thinks he can win then he will resign. If he wants to play in an offense he knows the only place I can think of is New England. It makes sense since they have horrible receivers and he wants to win now. Its not the same offense, but its close enough.
    Last edited by codeman123; -12-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.

  6. #6
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    If he does decide to leave, I don't blame him. If I was in his shoes I would want to leave as well.

  7. #7
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,438
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Honestly i dont want McD gone. It hasnt shown up with the rams but this guy has a proven offensive track record...right now the lockout is a excuse and also i dont want us to keep changing the gameplan for Bradford

  8. #8
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Lloyd wants to get paid I don't think McD is much of a factor. It's never been a given that Lloyd would resign with the Rams. It would have been nice if the Rams went after him in preseason and signed him to a long term deal.

    I think if the Rams paid the price he will stay, not sure what his market value will be. Can we tag him?

    If we don't sign Lloyd we need to get Blackmon for sure.

  9. #9
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,520
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Honestly i dont want McD gone. It hasnt shown up with the rams but this guy has a proven offensive track record...right now the lockout is a excuse and also i dont want us to keep changing the gameplan for Bradford
    I'm sure our offensive failures come from injuries and really poor receiver play. When Salas was really coming into his own, he ended up getting injured and when the O-line got injured, we had to put 2 TEs on the field for blocking purposes occasionally. McDaniels should be held accountable also but he's not the main reason seeing that the talent level of this offense is really abyssal and therefore, he can't open up the bigger picture of his playbook.

  10. #10
    Bing69's Avatar
    Bing69 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    788
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    McDaniels will be here next year. No-one hires a guy then fires him after his first season considering the amount of injuries the team has had...its not even good business.

    People need to stop over reacting...

  11. #11
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    McDaniels will be here next year. No-one hires a guy then fires him after his first season considering the amount of injuries the team has had...its not even good business.

    People need to stop over reacting...
    Are you saying Spag will not be let go?

  12. #12
    dgr828's Avatar
    dgr828 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    THE GOLDEN STATE
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Major shake ups need to be made. Lloyd right now is more valuable to the Rams than Steven Jackson or Sam Bradford. He presents the biggest weapon the Rams offense has and is also the most talented Ram right now. Steven Jackson has to go, its time to move on. Bradford had better learn quick what being a NFL QB is all about: RESULTS (SEE Tebow, Cam). Hell, why not just let McD be the HC. Would blame Lloyd for wanting to leave, he's been the most productive sinces he gotten to St. Louis, alot others need to step their games up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Several thoughts:

    Stop making excuses for McDaniels. I'm tired of the injuries nonsense. Carolina has 8 starters out and a rookie at QB. They put up 23 points today. Houston won on the road today with a back-up QB and no Andre Johnson. Andy Dalton- a guy no one would recognize if they saw him on the street- has the Bengals at 7-6. We all know what Tebow is doing. The league is filled with stories of teams with injuries trying to make do with back-ups at key positions. McDaniels has absolutely sucked all year and hasn't been up to the challenge of overcoming adversity with any degree of success. TWELVE TOUCHDOWNS on the season? I want to puke. He and Spags are a bad combination.

    Lloyd will not tie his kite string to McDaniels if he gets canned, especially if the money is right and the Rams draft another guy (Blackmon?) with whom he can be a 1-2 tandem. For the Rams part, it is absolutely critical they re-sign him- even if that means overwhelming him with $$.
    THOLTFAN81 and RockinRam like this.

  14. #14
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,438
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Several thoughts:

    Stop making excuses for McDaniels. I'm tired of the injuries nonsense. Carolina has 8 starters out and a rookie at QB. They put up 23 points today. Houston won on the road today with a back-up QB and no Andre Johnson. Andy Dalton- a guy no one would recognize if they saw him on the street- has the Bengals at 7-6. We all know what Tebow is doing. The league is filled with stories of teams with injuries trying to make do with back-ups at key positions. McDaniels has absolutely sucked all year and hasn't been up to the challenge of overcoming adversity with any degree of success. TWELVE TOUCHDOWNS on the season? I want to puke. He and Spags are a bad combination.

    Lloyd will not tie his kite string to McDaniels if he gets canned, especially if the money is right and the Rams draft another guy (Blackmon?) with whom he can be a 1-2 tandem. For the Rams part, it is absolutely critical they re-sign him- even if that means overwhelming him with $$.
    McDaniels has proved in New England and Denver that his offensive scheme works given the right players...tell me a Rams receiver that is getting separation except Lloyd? I dont think we can let him go this early...Spags on the other hand has proven he is too conservative to be a head coach but he is a good D cord.

  15. #15
    UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: If McDaniels isn't here next year, does Brandon Lloyd re-sign?

    Lloyd has been using this team to show class his catching ability, form and strengths. From what I have seen of him that is his number one goal this year. It's hardly difficult to stand out when you are the only go to guy on the field showing the consistency with a little highlight reel form to boot.

    If I was him I'd fornicate off to somewhere like New England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A Second Look at the Brandon Lloyd Trade
    By ZiaRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: -10-20-2011, 08:14 AM
  2. Interesting take on Brandon Lloyd ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -10-19-2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Brandon Lloyd on NFL Network
    By Ram_Mas in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: -10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
  4. Brandon Lloyd is a RAM
    By richtree in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: -10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: -02-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •