throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FestusRam is offline Registered User

If not Bulger then who?

I know there are alot of fans out there that want to see Bulger go, but who will take his place?

I don't see any qb's in the draft that could do any better than Bulger has done with this receiving core.

The fact is he's been playing with very weak receivers if they can even stay healthy.

What qb do you see coming in an making any better throws than him.

I know he had some overthrown and under thrown balls this year but he is still very accurate at hitting open receivers. He also knows the offense well and looked like he was started to get in sync with some of the receivers before his and their injuries.

Im not trying to make this another Bulger thread but i'm just wondering who these people want if Bulger isnt here. I dont see many free agents doing better with this receivng core either.

If Vick comes to STL with his terrible passer rating all he will probably do is throw int's and scramble around alot. We have Jackson to do the running and Vick will just be terrible with these receivers.

I like these young receivers but they just need time to learn and Vick's passing game wont help them at all.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: If not Bulger then who?

IMO, it's not so much a question of whether a rookie would play better or worse than Bulger in 2010. Bulger has been battered and bruised. He'll be 33 this spring. His quarterback rating has been in the bottom third of starting quarterbacks for three years straight. What future is there between him and the team? If it's true that no one could be successful with the talent we have now, then we should be looking at how to achieve success in the long-term. Given Bulger's age, he's probably not going to be around for a long-term rebuild.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Yeah im not saying long term im saying as somewhat of a stop-gap for a rookie to develop. This year though i think he is the most qualified to start. I like what Spags is doing with this team and i think if Bulger stays he will help him out.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If Bulger retires in 2010, then I would go for Chad Pennington in the FA. We need a veteran QB in the short term so he can teach our future young "franchise QB" to reach super stardom.

molar_pistol Guest

pennington or garcia would be just as good as bulger if not better for a year or two and would cost a hell of a lot less...face it people, bulger is as good as gone unless he agrees to restructure his deal (highly unlikely), move on.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    pennington or garcia would be just as good as bulger if not better for a year or two and would cost a hell of a lot less...face it people, bulger is as good as gone unless he agrees to restructure his deal (highly unlikely), move on.
    If we have a cap, Garcia or Pennington (assuming they want to sign with us-an important consideration which gets overlooked by most) would likely represent a savings of a paltry $1 million or so against the cap.

molar_pistol Guest

i'm pretty much accepting that the year will go uncapped...i suppose that is a bit premature but chances are pretty good.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i'm pretty much accepting that the year will go uncapped...i suppose that is a bit premature but chances are pretty good.
    So can we outbid someone for their services then? Assuming, again, they even listen to our offers?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    If we have a cap, Garcia or Pennington (assuming they want to sign with us-an important consideration which gets overlooked by most) would likely represent a savings of a paltry $1 million or so against the cap.
    Really? Are either of those guys even an upgrade over Bulger? Pennington has less of an arm then Bulger and is just as immobile. Pennington is also coming off of his 3rd surgury for the same shoulder.

Garcia didnt even play last year and is gonna be 40 years old. I don't see either of those guys being even remotely better than Bulger behind the same crappy o-line, and these young recievers.
    Just Fix It

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I like Charlie Frye as a dark horse contender. Tough, mobile, & if the well-zipped passes he threw during an injury-plagues cameo for The Raiders last year are anything to judge by, he now has a better arm than when he came into the league.And although he's been around for years, there's not a lot of wear on the tires. And he'll be dirt cheap.

You have to have seen the games to understand because the numbers don't look great -there were a number of rusty mistakes/INTs but he'd been riding the pine for a long time & didn't have much to work with in OAK.I don't think he ever got a real chance to prove himself anywhere after being unceremoniously dumped by The Browns; he got stuck behind Hasselbeck & JaMarcus. If Holmgren thought he might make a good WCO QB, I'm willing to listen.

If he stayed healthy, I think Bulger is the best talent/fit we could realistically get but MB staying healthy defies several years of history.$10 mill is a lot to pay for his R & R.

If MB agreed to a salary close to half of that, I'd say The Rams would be tempted to keep him. Familiarity with the system & the WRs is a big plus as well.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Take OJ and a 4 or 5 pick and trade for Jason Cambell. Shurmer can coach him up(used to be a QB coach), hes young and Shannahan says he likes Cambell but what else is he going to say in that situation.They pick Clausen ( new coach has to get his guy) we get our new QB and Suh, and Dahl can take over for OJ. OJ is a good player but Dahl was always around the ball.
    Cambell is young, mobile and a strong arm, but needs coaching to fix holes in his game. Hes a Vick style player but has more to offer in my opinion.(upside I mean)
    just a thought. . .

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    Take OJ and a 4 or 5 pick and trade for Jason Cambell. Shurmer can coach him up(used to be a QB coach), hes young and Shannahan says he likes Cambell but what else is he going to say in that situation.They pick Clausen ( new coach has to get his guy) we get our new QB and Suh, and Dahl can take over for OJ. OJ is a good player but Dahl was always around the ball.
    Cambell is young, mobile and a strong arm, but needs coaching to fix holes in his game. Hes a Vick style player but has more to offer in my opinion.(upside I mean)
    just a thought. . .
    I like the "outside the box' thinking with some thoughtful grounds to back it up but I think JC will be too expensive to be considered a stop gap guy. Be prepared to get gutted here for even suggesting we give up OJ & picks for him...lol...

And I think there are too many question marks about his fundamentals/intangibles to really want to pay him for the long term-carries the ball low resulting in a lot of fumbles , overall poor pocket presence, unreliable accuracy; all are problems that are very hard to coach out of a player at his stage and there's the smarts/leadership thing that surfaced in his spat with Portis recently.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I know there are alot of fans out there that want to see Bulger go, but who will take his place?

I don't see any qb's in the draft that could do any better than Bulger has done with this receiving core.

The fact is he's been playing with very weak receivers if they can even stay healthy.

What qb do you see coming in an making any better throws than him.

I know he had some overthrown and under thrown balls this year but he is still very accurate at hitting open receivers. He also knows the offense well and looked like he was started to get in sync with some of the receivers before his and their injuries.

Im not trying to make this another Bulger thread but i'm just wondering who these people want if Bulger isnt here. I dont see many free agents doing better with this receivng core either.

If Vick comes to STL with his terrible passer rating all he will probably do is throw int's and scramble around alot. We have Jackson to do the running and Vick will just be terrible with these receivers.

I like these young receivers but they just need time to learn and Vick's passing game wont help them at all.
    Personally, all I care about is the bottom line, and that's wins and losses.

It doesn't matter what great assets you think Marc Bulger has, or how great his passer rating might be if he had good healthy receivers. It's not about that for me, it's about wins and losses and over the last 3 years no starting QB has stunk more than Marc Bulger.

Therefore, it is time to move on from this guy. The only reason he even got the starting job is because Kurt Warner was not ready to return, and he was managing to win games with his limited ability.

At this point it doesn't matter who they bring in, I just KNOW, it is time to move on.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Really? Are either of those guys even an upgrade over Bulger? Pennington has less of an arm then Bulger and is just as immobile. Pennington is also coming off of his 3rd surgury for the same shoulder.

Garcia didnt even play last year and is gonna be 40 years old. I don't see either of those guys being even remotely better than Bulger behind the same crappy o-line, and these young recievers.

You beat me to it. I think really our only option IF we don't retain Bulger, is to look to the draft. Especially with an uncapped year, the free agent QB selection isn't going to provide a better option. We will have the money to keep Bulger and rebuild our team.

BEER is offline Registered User

ABB. Anybody but Bulger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast