throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

If pace were traded to cleveland....

If Pace were traded to cleveland and we got back the #3 pick, what would be do with it? From what you guys have been saying, there does not appear to be an offensive tackle as good as gallery looked a year ago in the draft.

general counsel

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: If pace were traded to cleveland....

Trade down about 8 spots and get another 2nd rounder or so. Then get Barron with the first pick, Brown with the second pick, and pick up a stop gap OT in free agency.

As of right now it looks like our O-Line will be:
    G.Williams - B.Saipaia - A.McCollum - A.Timmerman - S.Tercero

Why does that scare me?
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -03-12-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If I'm the Rams, I trade Cleveland for safety Sean Jones, their 2006 first round pick, and a second day pick in 2005. I doubt Romeo is going to want to part with the third overall pick in the draft in this, his first year as a head coach for the Browns.

But if we did get the 3rd overall pick, I'd probably be tempted to grab Derrick Johnson or trade down.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Hey Seiler. What makes you think they'd trade Sean Jones? I believe he's their starter now that they released Robert Griffith.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZZR

Why does that scare me?
    because it's scary.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Hey Seiler. What makes you think they'd trade Sean Jones? I believe he's their starter now that they released Robert Griffith.
    Just because someone is a starter doesn't mean he's not expendable. Pace is our starter at LT, but we're willing to trade him. If it decreases the draft compensation Cleveland would have to give up, they may be willing to part with him. Especially now, when they can still get a replacement at S.

This just isn't a good deal anyway we slice it. If we get a high draft pick this year, we won't get value because Pace is worth more than this year's top 10 picks. If we get one for next year, when there may be more cream in the crop, we spend a whole year wondering who's going to play LT & RT. I hope the FO has some aces up their sleeve, because I see us getting royally screwed on whatever deal we have to choke down to unload Pace.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Come on HUbision....you have got to see some value this year if Pace is traded. Not to mention the salary cap situations, but that frees us up on so many fronts. Granted, then we would need to deal with a LT and a RT. But, seriously, I think it could work. Can you say Brown and Barnes in the first round for the Rams? Would that give you something to get excited about? If not, what would you suggest?

RamTime Guest

We can not continue to play Paces games year after year. He's already cost us two years worth of free agency dollars to the tune of about 6 million total. Let him go. Bye Bye bubba

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Trade down about 8 spots and get another 2nd rounder or so. Then get Barron with the first pick, Brown with the second pick, and pick up a stop gap OT in free agency.

Why does that scare me?
    because it sux.Bulger will be dead meat

Tony Soprano Guest

Pace has got to go... He is selfish and he will hold our salary cap hostage for as long as he's a Ram. He's not even dedicated to being the Best. Gifted yes,
    but he wants to play when HE wants to.

He certainly didn't play at a Pro-Bowl level this year.

I think Cleveland would give up the #3, but 2006 would have more value - but Cleveland knows that too.

If the only trade I could get for Pace would be him for this year's number 3 slot (in the first), I'd do it in a hearbeat and I think the Ram's FO would jump at it.

How's this:

Take Mike Williams WR USC, he will alternate with Issac Bruce and then supplant him next year.

With our own First take Jamal Brown OT Oklahoma.

We already know the Ram's Front Office believes this draft is Deep at OT.

I think we have two #3 (or we will when the league doles out compensation picks). We get another OT in the second or 3rd.

We need guards somewhere in this Draft. The Ram's should've went after Walhe from Green Bay BUT I think Pace has our Cap screwed all to h3ll.

The problem with any deal with Cleveland is that Crennel is coming from an organization that didn't pay these kinds of players. They employed guys who were team-first and weren't real superstars. While Cleveland might have been interested last year, I think it's debatable if they'd be interested again this season. Still, I wouldn't mind having an extra first rounder next season and a solid young safety.

ramsfan1975 Guest

ok correct me if im wrong but trading pace would give us an extra 8 mil in cap money correct? ok so would this work, get the no 3 pick in this years draft, get a 5th rounder and then trade the no 3 to a team that wants to move down from no 3 to say no 10-12 get a second or third round pick then get both of those nice lookin linemen, we would then have 4 3rd(assumeing we gat compensatory and only a 3rd in the trade down) that would give us 2 1st, 1 2nd, 4 3rd thats 7 first day picks...we could address so many needs and give us a lot of space to get some decent vet line help and another decent defensice player....even with martz rather questionable track record in some drafts that would give him a ton of room to work with so even if he gets a bust or 2 we would still have enough decent talent to really address depth and probably make stong headways on special team and defence...lets be realistic, most of the teams that have been sucessful lately have not had to rely on a top 5 offencive lineman and to be frank pace has flubbed enough lately to make me really doubt hes all that good..either that or he really doesnt like bulger that much.
    Last edited by ramsfan1975; -03-13-2005 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Come on HUbision....you have got to see some value this year if Pace is traded. Not to mention the salary cap situations, but that frees us up on so many fronts. Granted, then we would need to deal with a LT and a RT. But, seriously, I think it could work. Can you say Brown and Barnes in the first round for the Rams? Would that give you something to get excited about? If not, what would you suggest?
    Don't get me wrong, Viper. If someone would give us their top 10 pick this year for Pace, I could look at Barron and Brown as our rookie book-end tackles and smile. But my fear is that we have to settle for a much-lower-than-market-value deal just to offload him. When I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by yours truly
    If we get a high draft pick this year, we won't get value because Pace is worth more than this year's top 10 picks
    ...maybe that was a little strong. Just the removal of the franchise headache would make up for any dip in value between a Pace and (for example) Barron. But if we get less than that...well I guess we'll take it, but it won't taste good.

general counsel Guest

With all due respect, i dont see how you can compare a Prospect to a 7 time first team all pro. Barron may be a fine young player, but he has got a long long way to go before anyone compares him to orlando pace, especially if we are trying to compete in 2005. Right tackle, absolutely, left tackle, huge dropoff.

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast