Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: If the Rams continue to win, don't be that guy.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Re: If the Rams continue to win, don't be that guy.

I've only ever had two issues with Sam. I like Sam a lot and hope he's a Rams QB on winning teams until he retires. My two issues are simple, consistency and leadership.

Consistency not just from game to game but drive to drive within a game. We'll see him go down the field with laser accuracy for the first two drives then he'll end a couple three and outs with passes that you could've sworn were thrown by Tony Banks instead of Sam.

Leadership I know he wasn't really the man in the locker room until SJax left. But it's surprising to me that his first time leading a pre game or sideline rally came against Jacksonville this year. It was amazing to me that people were making such a big deal about it cause it was his first time doing it, I couldn't believe that it seemed like he had but Rams players were saying it was nice to see him finally do that. If you're a teams big dollar QB you should be doing this weekly and the team should know to look to you for it.

Again I love Sam just being honest about my two issues I've had with him.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I've only ever had two issues with Sam. I like Sam a lot and hope he's a Rams QB on winning teams until he retires. My two issues are simple, consistency and leadership.

Consistency not just from game to game but drive to drive within a game. We'll see him go down the field with laser accuracy for the first two drives then he'll end a couple three and outs with passes that you could've sworn were thrown by Tony Banks instead of Sam.

Leadership I know he wasn't really the man in the locker room until SJax left. But it's surprising to me that his first time leading a pre game or sideline rally came against Jacksonville this year. It was amazing to me that people were making such a big deal about it cause it was his first time doing it, I couldn't believe that it seemed like he had but Rams players were saying it was nice to see him finally do that. If you're a teams big dollar QB you should be doing this weekly and the team should know to look to you for it.

Again I love Sam just being honest about my two issues I've had with him.
    some people just don't lead like how most people view a leader on an NFL team

Sam seems more of a quiet guy, though on the field he communicates just fine

but i think Sam is more of a lead by example kind of guy, not a ray lewis

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Leadership is more than leading a pre-game pep rally.

Don't be that guy.
    lordwhttgr likes this.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Somehow I think that went from SJAX to Laurinaitis. From the time I spent with him, he came off as strong leader.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If that were to happen, I would still like to have a third QB who is viewed as having some long-term upside. The question would be whether the Rams would be willing to devote a roster spot to such a player.
    IMO the Rams would be foolish not to draft a QB with long-term upside because not only are their questions that need to be answered about the back-up QB, but more importantly about the starter.

Certainly Sam was beginning to show promise, but at various times over the last 4 years, we've all said that a time or two, yet the questions remain.

So, if the question is "do I risk not maximizing the RG3 trade by not taking a long-term QB?" My answer is a resounding "NO".
    lordwhttgr and Mikey like this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

3. RGIII injury was to his right leg, while Sam's is to his left leg. A right handed QB pushes off his right leg when throwing. Therefore, the throwing motion is more impacted by a right leg injury than by a left leg injury.
    For a right-handed QB, the left leg is more important than the right, unless they throw off their backfoot all the time and in that case, usually aren't NFL QB's for very long. Agree on all your other points but right-handed QB's throw/drive through off their left leg, not right.

Not minimizing how a QB can be hindered by a right leg injury since he plants with that foot, but I think that's less than a left leg injury, IMO.
    Last edited by bradwill; -11-17-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    For a right-handed QB, the left leg is more important than the right, unless they throw off their backfoot all the time and in that case, usually aren't NFL QB's for very long. Agree on all your other points but right-handed QB's throw/drive through off their left leg, not right.

Not minimizing how a QB can be hindered by a right leg injury since he plants with that foot, but I think that's less than a left leg injury, IMO.
    though for a running qb and injury like that would hinder him period

though yea, the left leg for sam is concerning, let alone an ACL injury reguardless

Sorry, but you're just wrong. A right handed thrower bends and then pushes off his right leg, then follows through on his left. Anyone who has torn his ACL (i.e. me) can tell you that places far more stress on the right leg.

Sorry, but you're just wrong. A right handed thrower bends and then pushes off his right leg, then follows through on his left. Anyone who has torn his ACL (i.e. me) can tell you that places far more stress on the right leg.
    both are true

but actually being able to follow threw is pretty big, if he can't put weight on his front leg (left) then he's practically throwing off his back foot

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    both are true

but actually being able to follow threw is pretty big, if he can't put weight on his front leg (left) then he's practically throwing off his back foot
    Yes, it's important to follow through onto your left leg, but that does not involve much (if any) knee bending. Rather, the stress is on the lower leg and ankle. The right knee must bend and push off with power.

It's not really even close. A right knee injury is worse for a right handed QB.

Yes, it's important to follow through onto your left leg, but that does not involve much (if any) knee bending. Rather, the stress is on the lower leg and ankle. The right knee must bend and push off with power.

it matters if the muscles in his left leg are strong, if they're not, his knee will not fair well

but every gear needs to work, if the bottom work, good, if along the way something isn't working...then that stunts production...

either leg injured for whatever hand they are is bad, but the left leg gets most of the weight put on it for a longer period, the right leg deals with a lot of kinetic energy below the knee, not so much on the quadriceps and hamstring as much as the left leg would which is evident when bradford is throwing and that will help his left knee as more muscles are activated

though i DO see when the right knee is effected when bradford would sit on his back foot waiting in the pocket to throw

left leg affliction affect the strength of the throw, and his ability to follow through

the right leg affliction would affect the strength of the throw as well, mainly the beginning of the motion

left leg is important for strong throws

right leg important for lob passes

so really, i think it depends on the quarterbacks mechanics, and that's down to a super technical level to observe if the quarterback is more reliant on the beginning or end of the throw....

i'm sad bradford is hurt
    Last edited by citr92; -11-18-2013 at 12:54 AM.

I'm really not sure what your point is. Obviously, a torn ACL in either knee is bad. But it's worse when its a right knee injury for a right handed QB (on all throws, not just lob passes). Nothing you posted changes that fact.

How about we get back on topic now, m'kay?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-18-2013 at 01:48 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Let's continue to WIN is all I'm saying!

And that Bradford continues to recuperate ... wisely, fully. T H A T is a must in order to WIN in 2014.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Tell it to Peyton Manning whose right ankle is taped up like the Michelin Man and can still throw for over 300 yards solely off of his left leg and win last night. Yeah, the Broncos definitely helped him a lot by blocking like a concrete wall and putting Manning almost solely shotgun, but still.......I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Tell it to Peyton Manning whose right ankle is taped up like the Michelin Man and can still throw for over 300 yards solely off of his left leg and win last night. Yeah, the Broncos definitely helped him a lot by blocking like a concrete wall and putting Manning almost solely shotgun, but still.......I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.
    I've heard of people who don't know their arse from their elbow, but never someone who didn't know his knee from his ankle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast