View Poll Results: Which player would you "amnesty"?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sam Bradford

4 14.29%
  • Jake Long

2 7.14%
  • Chris Long

3 10.71%
  • James Laurinaitis

0 0%
  • Kendall Langford

0 0%
  • Scott Wells

4 14.29%
  • Harvey Dahl

2 7.14%
  • Jared Cook

4 14.29%
  • Nobody (save it for later)

9 32.14%
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By BarronWade
  • 2 Post By Bar-bq

Thread: If the Rams could "amnesty" a player, who would you let go?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams could "amnesty" a player, who would you let go?

A few years back, the NBA granted each team a one time "amnesty" option, which allowed teams to release a player, and clear their salary (though it would be paid) from their cap (no dead money). An "amnestied" player cannot be re-signed by the team that released him.

If the NFL decided to implement such a rule, is there a player who you would "amnesty"?

To make it a tough question, I'm NOT going to include the obvious choice - Cortland Finnegan - who I think is (unless he takes a massive pay cut) good as gone anyway.

Take into consideration the amount that would be saved (not merely the expendibility of the players).

Also, take into consideration that a team can choose to save the amnesty option for a later year.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-14-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: If the Rams could "amnesty" a player, who would you let go?

Harvey Dahl close second Scott Wells but think he might have value with Barnes or Jones being so so. Trainingscamp, veteran presence...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not 100% sure I'd do it, but amnesty-ing Jared Cook wouldn't be a bad idea. We'd free up 7/8 million a year on the cap and we could draft an amazing prospect this year like TE Eric Ebron. Just an idea.

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is offline Registered User

This won't be a popular choice here, but I'd cut Chris Long.

With a cap hit in 2014 at a whopping 14,900,000, I would take my chances.

I saw a huge regression from Long last season. Enough that I'd take the 15 million in cap space and fill his spot accordingly.

My belief is strengthened by the fact that I believe William Hayes would be a solid, if not excellent, starter. I believe, given starter snaps, he could easily outplay the Long of 2013. There are other options out there too(Clowney, other rookies, FA).

I know many will disagree, but when I see Long's 2013 performance, all I can think is that I would take 15 million in cap space over a similar performance in 2014. Granted, there's always a chance a player bounces back, but I don't see it happening to a point that he warrants that amount of cap space.

We could land 2-3 legitimate FAs with 15 million.

Dahl would be a close 2nd.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-15-2014 at 12:43 AM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I'd do it, but amnesty-ing Jared Cook wouldn't be a bad idea. We'd free up 7/8 million a year on the cap and we could draft an amazing prospect this year like TE Eric Ebron. Just an idea.
    You get bored easily don't you. Lol.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Popular or not, Chris Long would be a no-brainer for me, since I believe JaDaveon Clowney is an upgrade anyway at less than half the price.

If this were two years ago however, Sam Bradford would be long gone.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Chris Long indeed! As he is such valuable!
    Autumn Winds!

Mikey is online now Registered User

I'd go with an even less popular choice and take Sam. Huge cap hit, missed significant time 2 of the last 3 years. Questions still about with him and where he is capable of leading the team. We sit at the #2 pick to take his replacement who'd cost a ton less than Sam.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I say nobody now...but i would have a huge bullseye on Cook...Yes had a good year if your comparing him to previous Rams TEs but id like more from him

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Some of you guys are just "wasting" the amnesty. You wouldn't use it on a guy like Sam Bradford or Cortland Finnegan because even if you outright release them you are getting back at least 75% of their cap number. You also wouldn't use it on guys like Dahl or Wells. Guys that you would use it on are Jake Long, Chris Long, Jared Cook (Guys you signed to big contracts just recently that may not pan out). Now I'm not saying these guys wont/haven't panned out, but you might amnesty Jake Long and draft a OT at #2, start the rookie at LT, and save 8 million in cap space to use elsewhere. That for instance is taking full advantage of the "amnesty clause".

At the end of the day, I probably wouldn't use it on anyone we have. The only two I'd consider is Jake Long (because were in an excellent position to replace him with our choice of top OT and then we can spend that money on a guy like Jairus Byrd) or Jared Cook because he may not pan out and we certainly overpaid for him.
    BarronWade likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is online now Registered User

I voted the oft injured Wells would love to upgrade the center position in this FA and draft! OL is my main priority this season, I don't care who our QB is if he is not protected he will die in our division and this league...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Some of you guys are just "wasting" the amnesty. You wouldn't use it on a guy like Sam Bradford or Cortland Finnegan because even if you outright release them you are getting back at least 75% of their cap number. You also wouldn't use it on guys like Dahl or Wells. Guys that you would use it on are Jake Long, Chris Long, Jared Cook (Guys you signed to big contracts just recently that may not pan out). Now I'm not saying these guys wont/haven't panned out, but you might amnesty Jake Long and draft a OT at #2, start the rookie at LT, and save 8 million in cap space to use elsewhere. That for instance is taking full advantage of the "amnesty clause".

At the end of the day, I probably wouldn't use it on anyone we have. The only two I'd consider is Jake Long (because were in an excellent position to replace him with our choice of top OT and then we can spend that money on a guy like Jairus Byrd) or Jared Cook because he may not pan out and we certainly overpaid for him.
    BINGO! In the NBA the amnesty was a valuable asset to have if we can save it for next year it is better than using it on players we can cut have it a positive impact on the cap

Cut a trio of Wells, Dahl, and finnegan will give us enough flexability this off-season..

and next year we would have a chance to use it on possibly Jake Long if for whatever reason he becomes a shell of his former self because of the injury; Jared Cook if he becomes a liability in our power run scheme; or even Chris Long for what ever reason
    sosa39rams likes this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

We don't need to save it or use it on Jake Long. His contract has stipulations in it he has to be active at the end of the season and not on IR or the final years can be voided. He's not going to stay healthy.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    We don't need to save it or use it on Jake Long. His contract has stipulations in it he has to be active at the end of the season and not on IR or the final years can be voided. He's not going to stay healthy.
    "He's not going to stay healthy."

...Yikes, looks like JL will remain fragile, a casualty? Hopefully that won't happen but I'm sure the Rams will make provisions for this particular possibility. Which provision or, how, is the question.

Last edited by RealRam; -02-16-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Provision. Image.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Right now, I'm waiting on the amnesty. Give me twelve months to see how the guys with the biggest salaries on that list - Bradford, Cook, Long and Long pan out next year. Then I'm amnesty releasing the one who doesn't perform at a high level.

Also notable is that three of these players are on the offensive side of the ball, while Long and Finnegan represent the biggest cap hits on the defense. All but Bradford (#1 overall pick) and Long (#2 overall pick) were brought in as Free Agents. Kind of telling about what getting into a bidding war for overpriced FA's can do for your team, isn't it?
    live4ramin and sosa39rams like this.