Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: If the Rams' plan works, it will be long-lived.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams' plan works, it will be long-lived.

When you look at the bottom of the NFL standings, something jumps out at you...

The Texans have gone from a couple of strong years to the bottom of the league.
    The Falcons have gone from the NFC Championship game to the bottom of the league.
    The Vikings and Redskins have gone from the playoffs to the bottom of the league.

This didn't happen gradually over time. It happened in a year.

Why?

Because some teams are built to sprint, while some are built to run the distance.

We don't know where the Rams are going to end up, but one thing is clear. This team, whatever its fate, is bult for the long haul.

A relatively young core, consisting of Bradford, Stacy, Austin, Givens, Cook, Quinn, Brockers, Long, Laurinaitis, Ogletree and some high pick rookies to be selected in 2014 will have a chance to play together for several years and become... something.

I think the basic blueprint: a team that can run the ball, that has playmakers in the passing game, can rush the passer from a strong front four, and plays tough, hard-nosed football, can succeed.

I don't know if it will succeed.

But, if it does, its going to be a several year run.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: If the Rams' plan works, it will be long-lived.

Sounds like a plan!

Seriously, I agree simply because it makes sense.

With our starting QB back, the Rams offense should be set to make its move and as you said, this tank-full should be good for a few years of positive results, i.e., winning seasons. It is not just because "we are due" for such a scenario, but because the key elements would be coming to fruition. And our defense will likely follow suit.

It has taken this long to revamp. Now let's get'er done! RAMS IN 2014...
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-10-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Speleen

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think Les agrees with you Av. Here is some comments from an interview he did a few weeks back.

By Jim Thomas

In the meantime, Snead has been rolling with the highs and lows of what he calls the “Grit Year” of the rebuilding project he and Fisher and the rest of the organization embarked on during the 2011-12 offseason.

“Year 2 in any type of regime change, I call it Grit Year,” Snead said. “You term it that because you have to have the passion and perseverance for your long-term vision. Now long-term vision’s pretty simple: We want to be a team that wins consistently. We want to do that as rapidly as possible.”

Trouble is, there’s no time frame for when “rapidly” takes place, and a team arrives at its window of being that consistent winner. But Snead’s studies have shown that plenty of rebuilding teams break out in Year 3.

He pointed out that Seattle went 7-9 in each of Pete Carroll’s first two seasons and then busted out to 11-5 last season. The Seahawks have the best record in the NFC this season at 9-1.

“You take the Panthers right now,” Snead said. “Everybody’s been killing the Panthers. (Saying) they’re terrible. And this year, early in the year, ‘They stink.’ But they’ve caught on. They’re a young team that’s catching on.”

The Panthers, in Ron Rivera’s third year as head coach, have won five in a row after a 1-3 start.

“If you look at all the teams that build something that lasts, even the ***** under Bill Walsh, it’s usually somewhere in Year 3 they catch on and they get in their window,” Snead said.

With a 4-6 record in a season the Rams entered with the youngest roster in the league, Snead sees the Rams building toward that window of success.

“The only way to get experience is to go on stage,” Snead said. “And you go on stage, you have growing pains, you feel it. I’m not discouraged at all.”

He sees an offense that has developed an identity, a special teams unit that is maturing and a defense that is improving.

“You’re starting to feel it become a team,” he said.

RealRam is offline Registered User

"You’re starting to feel it become a team," [Snead] said.
    Exactlyeee...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Just where in the plan does it mention coaches? I don't see it happening. I don't see it beginning to happen. You'd think with the season aground someone would take the opportunity to teach these morons something.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Just where in the plan does it mention coaches? I don't see it happening. I don't see it beginning to happen. You'd think with the season aground someone would take the opportunity to teach these morons something.
    It started to happen, and then Mike Mitchell happened.

Kinda my point, trev. Leader goes down, piss on the fire and fold up the tent. I don't see any coaching going on here.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Just curious live4ramin, what did you see in the colts and bears games? Blowouts against two playoff or marginal playoff teams, one on the road.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Randart is offline Registered User

Having watched the LA Kings go through some similar growing pains over the years there are many parallels you could draw between the two organizations. Once the Kings got the GM with the vision similar to Les and Coach Fisher's as well as BD's then they follow closely. The Kings built through the draft and also some timely trades and FA signings. Many wanted instant gratification but those with a bit more patience and insight stuck with the long haul view and it paid dividends to the tune of a Championship. Not sure we will get that never know for sure but we should be competitive and make some runs. I like your view on this AvR.
    Rambos and bruce4life like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It sounds overly simplistic, but I think it's important to recognize that the fate of many teams simply rest on the play of their starting QB, despite whatever talent they have around them. You need not look any further than Green Bay this year to realize that. Eli Manning has 20 ints, and the Giants are 5-8 & will miss the playoffs. Of the teams AV mentioned, 3 of the 4 fall into that category. Houston sucks in part because Matt Schaub became Akili Smith all of a sudden. Washington is a train wreck because RGIII is a shell of what he was last season. The Vikings have 2 QBs that are below average. Only Atlanta is getting good QB play- their lack of success is largely due to a slew of injuries. Therefore, it really is no shock that the Rams are enduring their share of struggles in the absence of Sam Bradford.

It is obvious the Rams have a blueprint for sustained success, but the million dollar question is "will it work?" IMO, it rests on two things: 1) all of the assembled young talent meeting the potential management thinks it has and 2) A healthy, productive Sam Bradford moving forward.
    VegasRam, laram0 and mde8352gorams like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've thought this all along. Which explains my patience with our team. I believe in what Snead and Fisher are trying to accomplish. The $million dollar question is will it work? I would say that so far they (Snead & Fisher) have us on the right track but only time will tell. Which brings up the next $million dollar question, how much time? Year 3? Year 4? Will the fans go nuts if we are below .500 next season or will they wait for year 4? Me, I'm a RAMS fan no matter what. Of course I would much rather see us over .500 now but I will and have waited.

My concern is that this team is still like a herd of cats.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

If the penalites mainly the bonehead penalties would stop I would feel better about the last two games. This 13' Rams club has been so hot and cold but this could just be a sign of growing pains from a young ballclub. We see this team dominate a bears ballclub then lay an egg so miserably against carindals. I've watched the Rams-Cards game twice now and Clemens missed so many throws. The defense looked so downtrodden late in the 4th. With a decent QB in this game, the game is much much closer. This team is growing but in small baby steps. I will keep my optimistic blinders on until further notice

That's all that WE can do.

Poor ol' George Allen. Still rollin.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    That's all that WE can do.

Poor ol' George Allen. Still rollin.
    The Rams have made a business decisions to draft and play young players and live with the growing pains. They could if they wanted too bring in stop gap players that could outplay guys like Ray Ray and Bates, in the short term. Spoon if he started would make fewer mistakes then Tree but Spoon will never be a pro bowler in the time he has left. Tree will make more mistakes early on and at some point he will eliminate most of the assignment mistakes and play faster and cleaner. That's one example.

Allen was a great coach but his policy not to play rookies was in an different era and was short term fix for the Skins, if you recall they got old over night.
    live4ramin likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast