Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: If the Rams' plan works, it will be long-lived.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: If the Rams' plan works, it will be long-lived.

OK then. I'll give you guys a rest. I get it. Sam goes down, offense can't stay on the field to rest the defense. Can't beat better teams. Look forward to the draft. Wait till next year.

Kiss my ass, football gods

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The thing that hasn't been mentioned is that in the salary cap era punctuated by the recent CBA it is financially beneficial to find talented rookies and have them develop rather than find the costlier veterans through Free Agency. At the end of the day this is still a business and if you develop a young team that costs less to sustain over time you have a successful business model. The trick is to find the young talent that will create the winning you are looking to achieve. I feel the Rams are going that way and I believe next season we'll see the results of that effort. The wild card is injuries and you have to build insurance against that by having depth within the roster.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam and VegasRam like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The thing that hasn't been mentioned is that in the salary cap era punctuated by the recent CBA it is financially beneficial to find talented rookies and have them develop rather than find the costlier veterans through Free Agency. At the end of the day this is still a business and if you develop a young team that costs less to sustain over time you have a successful business model. The trick is to find the young talent that will create the winning you are looking to achieve. I feel the Rams are going that way and I believe next season we'll see the results of that effort. The wild card is injuries and you have to build insurance against that by having depth within the roster.
    Precisely! In order to be a perennial playoff contender, a team must be able to withstand the "wildcard" factor. How? Talented depth - that's how.

Anyone of the old-timers here remember when Eddie DeBartolo literally bought a Super Bowl team. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but there was one year when Fast Eddie was able to circumvent existing restrictions and buy up anything available. I believe the Whiners won the Super Bowl that year in spite of significant injuries. When a player went down, they had another high priced Pro Bowl veteran ready to step in. I can remember the announcers commenting on this extravagance quite a few times during that season.

Nowadays the cap prevents such lavish spending by owners flush with cash. But as you point out, the key is the draft, and avoiding huge cap hits by signing big name guys for the so-called sprint.

When Fish/Sneads' plan is fully implemented, the Rams should have the luxury of choosing which players they wish to re-sign from their own roster - guys who've proven themselves and already know the system/playbook.

For this "plan" to be fully implemented (IMO) it will take at least 5 years, maybe six. When it is in place, the wait will have been worth it. There is already a team that has utilized this philosophy successfully. That team is the on that our new owner wishes to emulate - from the front office on down. The buck stops with one guy on that team. Stan set it up with our team the same way. There is no question that after all is said, debated, etc., Jeff Fisher has the last say - period.

I am sure everyone here knows who "that team" is. We don't like them very much, but you have to give them credit for their consistent success over the last decade. I see no reason the Rams cannot equal or exceed the Patriots' success. I believe we are clearly headed in the right direction, from our new owner on down ..
    VegasRam likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

mde and Maui - exactly. When a rookie joins the Patriots, regardless of position, he has someone to look up to/learn from, who can not only impart knowledge of his position, but also of the "Patriot Way". The Rams , in most cases, simply do not have that, but will eventually, if JF and LS are there at least 5 years, and hopefully for the duration. Love or hate 'em, it works.

I also heartily concur with NJ - as the QB goes, so goes the team. Shanahan is a competent coach, but not great without Elway or a healthy RG me me me. Siefert wasn't a good coach, he had Montana and Young. Pete Carroll a genius? No, not without Wilson. How good was Holmgren without Favre? I could go on and on and on. In the immortal words of Bill Clinton, it's the QB, stupid.

Now, if I had to put a number on it, I'm 60/40 behind SB, but it's very apparent receivers are critical. See Kaepernick and Luck without their go to guys. Wilson gets it done without a stellar WR, (although Tate's pretty good), because of his feet, and his (imo), laser like accuracy.

Anyway, Kroenke told Fisher he liked NE's approach, and they are building towards that, and on schedule, despite losses and frustrating play.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    For this "plan" to be fully implemented (IMO) it will take at least 5 years, maybe six
    I disagree with that. I think the Rams will start seeing dividends within the next two years (years 3 and 4 of the Fisher/Snead regime).

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree with that. I think the Rams will start seeing dividends within the next two years (years 3 and 4 of the Fisher/Snead regime).
    Maybe you do, and maybe you don't. After rereading my post I realized I should have been clarified the point I was trying to make, which was in response to the thread title, specifically the "long lived" part. I wasn't talking about the "dividends" as relates to wins/losses, playoffs etc.

The 5 or 6 years I referred to was the amount of time it will take to rebuild (complete an entire roster turnover) through the draft to the extent we have not only quality depth, but relatively youthful depth as well. Considering that the 5 or 6 year restocking period has already begun (we are two years in), we have 3 or 4 more years left to complete the roster makeover. Perhaps we agree after all. Certainly we can agree that a deep roster on both sides of the ball is a worthy goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12