AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams are ready for a "fire sale," here's my plan.

Its obvious that, in the process of separating from the failures of the old regime, the new regime has left a roster that simply does not have enough playmakers. While it is important that the team keep fighting, they must also consider cashing in a few chips, if possible, to provide more opportunities to acquire talent in the future.

I'll start with my list of players who, barring a deal so lopsided that it can't be passed up, are "untouchable." They are: Steven Jackson, Mike Karney, Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Donnie Avery (too few WRs to even consider moving him), Chris Long (you can't convince me that we should give up on him, so don't bother trying), James Laurinaitis, Will Witherspoon, Ron Bartell, O.J. Atogwe, James Butler and Donnie Jones.

With that said, here are my candidates for trades:

Marc Bulger
    I think we all saw this week why Marc Bulger is the starter and Kyle Boller is not. That said, Marc can't save this team, and in the long-run, the Rams must take a franchise QB in the draft. If the Rams wait until the end of the season, I doubt Bulger would have much trade value. However, for a team desparate for a QB now due to injuries or poor play by a starter (Dallas, maybe?), Bulger could be a good option. Put him behind a strong O line and with good receivers, and he can still produce.

Leonard Little
    In my mind, he is no longer an every down player, and I believe his presence is holding Chris Long back to an extent. For a contender, though, he could be a great addition as a situational pass rusher. With his expiring contract, the financial burden would be manageable as well.

Alex Barron
    I'd be on the phone with the Saints right now, as they just lost Jamaal Brown for the season. Barron is not the Rams' future at LT (Smith is), and he's going to want too much money next offseason to keep as a RT. Let's see what Greco can do.

Randy McMichael
    Not sure if anyone would take him at this point, but I'd take whatever we can get.

Richie Incognito
    Can't trade him and Barron, as the O line would be too thin, but if Barron can't be moved, maybe some team would take him on as a reclamation project. Probably not... well, maybe the Raiders.

Jacob Bell
    Nobody's going to take his contract, but if I'm wrong, make us an offer.

There are others I'd be willing to trade, but doubt would prompt any interest.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: If the Rams are ready for a "fire sale," here's my plan.

If Bulger got traded to another team, I would be happy. Not because that I don't like him, I actually like the guy, and am a fan of him. I would be happy because this guy has taken so much beating, punishment and revulsion from fans here that he deserves to resurrect his career on another team. If he does play successfully on another team, I'll be very happy for him, and the Bulger haters will crawl back into their little caves, knowing that all along they were wrong for blaming this guy for our team's problems.

McMichael has to go. Fells and Bajema should take over for him nicely.

For Bell, if we can trade him, I'm all for it. He's not a standout. If he does standout, its because he made a terrible play. He's not a very big guard. He's actually pretty undersized. He gets very limited push in running plays, and on passing plays the bigger D-linemen just bulldoze him out of the way.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I doubt we would get anything for any of them except Little, and i would rather keep him around as a situational rusher like you suggested.

I think the Rams would be better off starting Long and Hall at DE and bringing Little in
    Still need to see Adeyanju get a shot though, no reason to keep him benched

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Id almost trade Steven Jackson for draft picks at this point

Dominating D Guest

Dallas has Kitna why would they want Bulgers BIG $$$$$ CONTRACT?

Unreasonable to think teams will be willing to acquire these BIG $$$$$ contracts on players that at best have BIG ??????????? MARKS.

First of all, Dallas has never demonstrated a big concern over money.

Second... Kitna?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    I think we all saw this week why Marc Bulger is the starter and Kyle Boller is not.
    Ooh, AV I'm afraid "we all" might be too broad a grouping. There are those who will pin this loss on Bulger as well. In fact, it's just a matter of time until someone says.......Bulger has led us to a 5-31 record over the last two plus years. Or some other made-up pseudo-stat.

I believe the disease of Bulger Derangement Syndrome is terminal. There is no cure.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I remember when Bulger was going to throw for 4,000 yards and the Rams were going to go 8-8. Ah the good old days of not needing talent if you have the west coast offense.

The Rams can't trade anyone with a large cap figure after 2009. They don't have the cap space available to realize the cap hit so the NFL would never allow it. They can't roll cap space forward to 2010 because it is prohibited without a cap in 2010 being in place.

How do you trade Barron after you just benched him?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think it comes down to knowing people. If Spags has connections, maybe a deal can be worked out with these trades. But I personally don't know if anyone will be willing to take any of these players.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Id almost trade Steven Jackson for draft picks at this point
    There is something to be said about this idea. Most of your "franchise changing trades" usually involve runningbacks. Jackson is considered a great back. He could get us some real talent on offensive line and mid round draft picks in return. With our record, we should be able to get a franchise QB of the future and a good running back in the draft.

I also agree regarding Bulger. Let the guy re-energize his career elsewhere. He's just going to get killed in St. Louis. He too would bring maybe a quality defensive lineman and some draft picks.

The rest of the suggested players in my opinion wouldn't bring us anything but late round picks.

It's time for our front office to get on those phones and build this franchise with what little assets we have to bargain with. I'm not sure how it all works within the cap rules regarding trades, but it can't be the same as outright cutting someone.
    Last edited by bigredman; -10-05-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    The Rams can't trade anyone with a large cap figure after 2009. They don't have the cap space available to realize the cap hit so the NFL would never allow it. They can't roll cap space forward to 2010 because it is prohibited without a cap in 2010 being in place.
    Barron, Incognito and Little all have expiring contracts.

How do you trade Barron after you just benched him?
    You find a team that believes that he is better than what they already have on their roster.