View Poll Results: If the Rams win this battle (vs. Denver) they'll win the war.

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Time of possession

6 15.79%
  • Turnovers

23 60.53%
  • Team w/higher yards per carry

3 7.89%
  • Total sacks

1 2.63%
  • Special Teams/field position

4 10.53%
  • Score first

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams win this battle (vs. Denver), they'll win the war...

Which is the key battle?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If the Rams win this battle (vs. Denver), they'll win the war...

The Broncos win on the ground. They have for years, even in the Elway era. They open their air attack by spreading their run game with that zone blitz scheme that has made 1000 yard rushers out of nearly every RB to suit up for Denver.

If we can win the YPC battle, we win the war.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

Tough to narrow it down to one factor as the key to winning. Each game takes on its' own identity.

The steelers beat a hot denver team, in denver, during the AFC championship game last season, with a 4-0 turnover margin and a huge advantage in TOP.

Turnovers are always huge.

The one stat that denver dominated, almost 2-1, was yards per carry.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

we've got to win the turnover battle the defence needs to restrict the denver running game jackson needs at least a 80yard game and our WR class will win it

sprtsmac Guest

Turnovers are always important. We no longer have the offense that can make up for a bunch of turnovers. If we have none and our defense gets a couple, we win this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Tough to narrow it down to one factor as the key to winning. Each game takes on its' own identity.

The steelers beat a hot denver team, in denver, during the AFC championship game last season, with a 4-0 turnover margin and a huge advantage in TOP.

Turnovers are always huge.

The one stat that denver dominated, almost 2-1, was yards per carry.

Denver did run well, when they ran. Their YPC was 4.6 compared to Pittsburgh 2.6. And if we could jump out to the early lead that Pittsburgh did, I wouldn't be as concerned about our YPC. Denver was playing catch-up by the early 2nd quarter and had to rely on Plummer through the air.

And if Jackson could maintain a consistent 3 yards forward progress instead of gaining 10, then losing 6, I'd be fine losing the YPC. But at this point, I don't have the confidence in either Jackson's and our run blocking consistency or our ability to jump out to an early big lead to write off the trench battle for ground.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Good options,

However IMHO whichever team gets their ground game going early and quick, if we can get SJ going early and punch it to them, hopefully that'll set up us nicely.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I chose turnovers, because clearly eating a good apple turnover before the game is key to victory, and if the Rams can manage to scarf down more, the win is a lock.

But seriously we generally win the T.O.P. battle anyway, we just have a bad habit of giving the ball away before we can score.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

If I had to pick only from the list, I'd say turnovers. BUT... I believe that the team that controls the small 2-3 yards of turf at the line of scrimmage, controls the game. The Rams HAVE to control the line of scrimmage to be successful. Everything else will fall into place if we do that. We must be quicker, stronger, faster, and employ our will on them. Then we can do what we want.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Denver did run well, when they ran. Their YPC was 4.6 compared to Pittsburgh 2.6. And if we could jump out to the early lead that Pittsburgh did, I wouldn't be as concerned about our YPC. Denver was playing catch-up by the early 2nd quarter and had to rely on Plummer through the air.

And if Jackson could maintain a consistent 3 yards forward progress instead of gaining 10, then losing 6, I'd be fine losing the YPC. But at this point, I don't have the confidence in either Jackson's and our run blocking consistency or our ability to jump out to an early big lead to write off the trench battle for ground.

Like I said:
    "Tough to narrow it down to one factor as the key to winning. Each game takes on its' own identity."

I guess using my post to quote from and responding with your own set of "And IFs" is a round-about way of agreeing?

A lot of unnecessary redundancy if you ask me.

Cheers!

LETS GO RAMS!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I went with TOP. Wear down their defense while keeping ours fresh.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nothing can change momentum or turn a game like forcing fumbles and making interceptions. If I could choose one factor that would have the greatest impact on achieving a victory, it would be winning the turnover margin. We'll need to be effective in other areas, but if we're opportunistic, active and get some takeaways, we'll be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Like I said:
    "Tough to narrow it down to one factor as the key to winning. Each game takes on its' own identity."

I guess using my post to quote from and responding with your own set of "And IFs" is a round-about way of agreeing?

A lot of unnecessary redundancy if you ask me.

Cheers!

LETS GO RAMS!!!

Glad to see your in a good mood today, Ferter. I love you, too.

Archimedes Owl Guest

A Broncos Fan's Persective

I think that turnovers are always the most important factor in any game.

Last year, the Broncos did very well at both forcing turnovers and at not turning the ball over.

Denver was first in the league in fewest giveaways and also had the third most takeaways.

Only Cincy had a better turnover ratio.

But, when the Broncos were surprised by Miami on opening day last year, turnovers were vital.

I also think that jumping out to a quick lead is vital. It will force the Broncos to be agressive on offense and if the game were to turn into a shootout with the Rams powerful offense, that's the best chance the Rams have of winning.

Denver has a terrific run game and pretty good defense, so the Rams can't afford to get behind. The Broncos are good at running the clock out.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

turnovers will be key for us this year.. to have a good season our plus/minus ration needs to be plus 10or above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast