View Poll Results: You can only sign one... who do you sign?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny Amendola

31 50.00%
  • Steven Jackson

31 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: If the S.S. Salary Cap is sinking, who gets the last life jacket?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: If the S.S. Salary Cap is sinking, who gets the last life jacket?

Danny Amendola to me would be the guy if I had to pick one, age being the biggest factor.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I voted for Amendola, but it was a VERY tough call for me.

Here was my logic:

If both players were available on one-year deals only, I'd choose SJax.

For multi-year deals, I'd prefer Amendola (as he likely has a greater number of productive years left ahead of him).

I prefer the Rams lock in their key players on multi-year deals, so...

Slight advantage, Amendola.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I love them both. But had to go for SJ. He has been the only brigth point on this team during all these bad years that I will stick with him till the end. But I hope we can keep them both for a decent price.

The close vote (currently DA 18, SJ 19) certainly reflects how tough a decision this would be!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Darn you for doing this to us, AV!

Darn you to heck!!!

I apologize for my sailor mouth, but the idea of having to choose between Amendola and S-Jax really waxes my butt. (Oh, and for the record, I'd go with Danny. He's got more tread left on his tires, and is harder to replace.)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very tough choice, AV. I chose Jackson because aside from his running skills, he's a leader and our offense needs that. Secondly, while Amendola is great and has more tread left on his tires, he can be replaced easier than SJ, in my opinion. We all say RB's are a dime a dozen, well then why haven't we been able to bring in a suitable back-up RB (until this year). Both players are great and we should try to get both signed at the right price, but if it's only 1 then I vote SJ. Look around the league and tell me if there are a lot of great RB's with SJ's talents. Then tell me the same for slot WR's. I rest my case.

Go Rams!

Agrajag is offline Registered User

It's a total toss up for me. I could have gone Jackson because of his history with the team his character and the fact that he still just gets it done, which is something I think you can expect out of him for two years. That said, I could easily see them going with Richardson and Pead, but as much as they like to run, they'll sign a veteran for a year in case of injuries or breakdowns. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire though.

I could also see them letting Amendola walk if he wants too much, but seriously, they need to be careful about that considering their success rate with draft picks at that position and the time it takes to develop them.

I almost really don't care, because if they can continue to improve this defense and hopefully the offensive line, things will be much improved from where they are. No matter what it still seems a waste to even be invested in a quarterback like Bradford when you don't have anyone who can get open and catch the ball on a consistent basis, and if your routes are too short for anyone to get open because your offensive line can't give you the time you need, then you need to do something.

richtree is offline Registered User

wow, after 42 votes ...It is exactly even....

Jockelite is offline Registered User

I think you should be banned for such a mind taxing question. For such a crime I refuse to vote in this poll. (Mainly because I cant decide)

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tampa_Ram, Jockelite and ZiaRam like this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I had to go with Amendola just because I think we have better depth at running back and it takes longer to develop wide receivers.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

52 votes and still tied........

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Secondly, while Amendola is great and has more tread left on his tires, he can be replaced easier than SJ, in my opinion. We all say RB's are a dime a dozen, well then why haven't we been able to bring in a suitable back-up RB (until this year). Both players are great and we should try to get both signed at the right price, but if it's only 1 then I vote SJ. Look around the league and tell me if there are a lot of great RB's with SJ's talents. Then tell me the same for slot WR's. I rest my case.

Go Rams!
    I'm very glad you made this point, because I believe it is the essence of this question. We already know what each brings to the team. The real question is which one can be more easily replaced. You say Danny, but I say S-Jax.

A 30-year-old RB will not be nearly as hard to replace as the franchise QB's safety blanket. Bradford is more comfortable (at least appears to be) in a game with Amendola. Since drafting Bradford, the Rams are 11-13-1 in games with Amendola and 3-16 without him.

I, too, hope both can be signed. But if you were to ask Bradford, he might just say that Amendola will be harder to replace.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm very glad you made this point, because I believe it is the essence of this question. We already know what each brings to the team. The real question is which one can be more easily replaced. You say Danny, but I say S-Jax.

A 30-year-old RB will not be nearly as hard to replace as the franchise QB's safety blanket. Bradford is more comfortable (at least appears to be) in a game with Amendola. Since drafting Bradford, the Rams are 11-13-1 in games with Amendola and 3-16 without him.

I, too, hope both can be signed. But if you were to ask Bradford, he might just say that Amendola will be harder to replace.
    HUB, I see SJax as more than simply a 30 year old RB. He is in my opinion the "heart & soul" of this team. I probably should have pointed that out in my original post. I'm very willing to admit Sam has formed a very strong reliance on Danny Amendola and QB's need security blankets, so to speak. I just feel from a leadership and spirit standpoint, SJax offers a bit more.

Now as for the replacement issue, let me turn to the effectiveness aspect. I view SJax's downturn this year as more a factor of OL blocking than actual aging. His legs still move really well and if he had a better line to block for him then I would imagine his numbers would be more impressive. I look around and the only RB's that offer that kind talent over a sustained period are A. Peterson, R. Rice, F. Gore, M. Lynch and perhaps a few others that I'm overlooking. When you look at WR's I see more talented ones coming into the league each year. Now I'm not discounting the impact Amendola has on our offense, but if we had a better offense, would he be as special. I suspect not. Look at the Patriots willingness to part ways with Wes Welker after this season.

Bottom line, neither player is easily replaced, but I feel we lose more without SJax than without Amendola. Both players have injury issues so that is a wash to a certain degree. I was also one person on this board who said we might think about trading SJax before the season to add more draft picks but that as prior to the trade with Washington. And I have also seen what SJax adds to this team with his "will to win" attitude that seems to inspire others. So Now having said all this, I feel confident that the Rams FO will look to keep both at a reasonable cap cost.

Go Rams!

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

A bitter pill to swallow, losing either guy,but I think a back of SJ's versatility and talent positively impacts a team more than any receiver. Neither guy is a spring chicken but SJ's durability at the most violent position in sports makes him a better bet to remain a positive force throughout a season,imo.

Think of it another way; would you keep Hakim over Faulk at similar stages in their career ? Flipper over Dickerson ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast