throwback week

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: If someone had told you when last season ended...

Seatown, I don't know where you get your information, but virtually every draft analyst had Alex Barron as the top rated O lineman in the draft (even Mel Kiper, who inexplicably criticized the pick after the draft, had him ranked the #11 player available). Its not like the Rams took a center that virtually nobody had as a first round pick.

The point of the thread, by the way, is that its a big deal that all of these things has occurred this offseason.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Guys, can somebody give me a hand? I'm still trying to find where Jammal Brown, the player that most people projected the Rams to get, is on our roster. Anybody?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

SeaTown Guest

Win something first and beat us first and knock us out of the playoffs first before coming around and bashing our offseason moves and predicting your teams to finish first.
    Boy how sensitive we are. Sheesh. I never once said anything other than your offseason hasn't been the miracle you all think. Claiborne and Coakley aren't the pro bowlers you think. And if you want to use "we beat the seachickens 3 times last year" as your response for everything regarding THIS YEAR, fine, so be it.

Funny how people can come onto your board and just because they have differing opinions they get all jumped on. You need to realize that the blue and gold haze you live in is clouding your judgement. Our division sucked last year. Neither the Rams or Hawks can say they did squat. The Hawks won the division, but that doesn't say much. The Rams won the playoff game over the equally not so good Hawks. But they wouldn't even had made the playoffs if it weren't for them beating Seattle. Take away those 2 wins and you are 6-10 and not quite the giants you seem to think you are. I'm not saying that Seattle was or is any good either. The West blew last year. Neither team should be clinging to last season in terms of validating themselves. So fine, you "improved" your linebacking crew slightly from that "amazing" team who was able to beat Seattle 3 times, but only 6 wins besides that. Watch out NFL, we've got a juggernaught on our hands.

SeaTown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Guys, can somebody give me a hand? I'm still trying to find where Jammal Brown, the player that most people projected the Rams to get, is on our roster. Anybody?
    Hey, funny guy. What I meant was that in getting Barron you got a offensive lineman who was projected to go where you drafted (mid first round). Not exactly a miracle.

Let's see. Usually before a draft you target a need. In this case it was OL, particularly RT. Then you look at a group of players that could possibly be available. Barron and Brown were on every teams list drafting in the mid first round.

Seatown, I don't know where you get your information, but virtually every draft analyst had Alex Barron as the top rated O lineman in the draft (even Mel Kiper, who inexplicably criticized the pick after the draft, had him ranked the #11 player available). Its not like the Rams took a center that virtually nobody had as a first round pick.
    Even if Kiper said he was his #11 player available, so what? In most drafts, especially this year, most players rated 10-25 or so are very interchangable. It usually comes down to teams needs. Sorry buddy, it's not a flipping miracle like you think.

And lastly, how hypocritical of you to use Kiper to validate your argument now, yet all the ram fans have been going off about how pointless draft rankings and grades are at this point. Here's Kiper's analysis of your draft:

St. Louis Rams: C
    Tackle Alex Barron has plenty of athletic gifts but is inconsistent in his effort, so the Rams may or may not have the right tackle they need. The next three picks were all reaches (corner Ronald Bartell Jr., safety Oshiomogho Atogwe and center Richie Incognito), but Dante Ridgeway made sense at receiver in the sixth round and I like quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick as a developmental project.
    "May or may not have the RT they need"? Hardly a ringing endorsement from a guy who you use to back up you on your argument.

And since you felt the need to knock the Hawks draft pick. Why then did your boy Kiper give the Hawks a B and your Rams a C?

Don't get me wrong. I could give a crap what Kiper says. He's all talk. There's no way to grade a draft before any of the players take the field. Anybody with the time he has could do the exact same thing. Doesn't take much to look like you know what your talking about before a player even plays.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaTown
    you got a offensive lineman who was projected to go where you drafted
    Actually, that's not true either. Most mocks projected Barron being gone by the time the Rams picked. In fact, I only remember seeing two prognostications that had Barron around at #19. Stop using the "mid first round" generalization to support your point - the Rams were in the lower half of the first round, and Barron was typically projected as a top fifteen pick. On more than 90% of the mocks I looked at, Barron was gone by the time the Rams picked.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Thanks to our rival fans for coming in and infusing some energy during the almost unbearable off-season.

You're not impressed with our off-season moves, good for you. The majority here are very impressed and pleased with the total package so far. We improved our defense, drafted for need, settled our running back situation to everyone's satisfaction, signed a player who has been a problem for years to a long term contract, addressed special teams, let me repeat, ADDRESSED SPECIAL TEAMS, got back our best defensive player after being found not guilty of any drinking related charges and took care of a playing surface issue that was slowly killing our star quarterback and decimating our backfield.

Gee, you guys are right. What were we thinking!!

SeaTown Guest

Actually, that's not true either. Most mocks projected Barron being gone by the time the Rams picked. In fact, I only remember seeing two prognostications that had Barron around at #19. Stop using the "mid first round" generalization to support your point - the Rams were in the lower half of the first round, and Barron was typically projected as a top fifteen pick. On more than 90% of the mocks I looked at, Barron was gone by the time the Rams picked.
    First of all, if we are going to get nitpicky, 19 is considered mid round. It's the lower part of the mid round, but mid round nontheless. There are 32 teams. That would mean that picks 16 and 17 are "officially" the middle of the round. Two picks from the official middle is still considered mid round. You weren't exactly picking 27 or anything.

As for "all of the mocks" having Barron gone before 19, so what? A couple of picks ahead of 19 doesn't mean you got a steal. He wasn't projected to go top 5 or anything, not even top 10.

Here are just a few mocks I found and where they had Barron going:

NFL Draft Countdown - #19 - St. Louis
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Fox Sports - #13 - Houston
    http://msn.foxsports.com/name/public/NFL/MockDraft

Sportsline.com (Pete Prisco) - #16 - New Orleans
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8289755

ESPN (Clayton & Pasquarelli) - #14 - Carolina
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?page=2005mock

Yahoo - #17 - Cincinnati
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-nflmockdraft&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Ourlads - #14 - Carolina
    http://www.ourlads.com/2005MockDraft.html

NFL Draft Scout - #16 - Houston
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/mockdraft.php?round=1&year=2005

Fantasy Football Jungle - #19 - St. Louis
    http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/2005-nfl-draft/mock-drafts/39b.php

Sporting News - #13 - Houston
    http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/sample/2005/mockdraft/1.html

Draft Notebook - #13 - Houston
    http://www.draftnotebook.com/draft_projection.htm

Sportsline.com (Clark Judge) - #14 - Carolina
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8289753

USA Today - #13 - Houston

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/mock-nfl-draft.htm

Draft Ace - #14 - Carolina
    http://www.draftace.com/mockdraft.htm

Draft Gurus - #14 - Carolina
    http://www.draftgurus.com/page1.html
    -------

Ok, I hope that's enough. The general consensus seemed to be that he would go to either Houston or Carolina. Basically those were the only teams in that part of the draft who had OL as a need. So while Barron is a nice pick and went a few picks past when many thought, he by no means was a gift dropped from heaven. It's not like Orlando Pace Jr. miraculously fell from the top 3 all the way down to 19. 19 is a mid first rounder. Just as are 13, 14, 17, whatever. Go compare how most "projected" players fared on draft day. Besides the top 7 or so the draft was a crap shoot with teams going off of personal preference or need over the glorious mock draft rankings. A guy "projected to go 14 going 19 is by far a shock or even unexpected.

It may sound as if I'm ripping the pick, I'm not. It was a need and a decent value at the same time. But it not the "oh my god, can you believe it, how in the world did this happen, the planets are aligning" pick that you are all making it out to be. This was all started by someone mentioning it as one of the unbelievable events of the St. Louis Rams off-season. I said that I didn't think it was so unbelievable. That's all.

SeaTown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Thanks to our rival fans for coming in and infusing some energy during the almost unbearable off-season.

You're not impressed with our off-season moves, good for you. The majority here are very impressed and pleased with the total package so far. We improved our defense, drafted for need, settled our running back situation to everyone's satisfaction, signed a player who has been a problem for years to a long term contract, addressed special teams, let me repeat, ADDRESSED SPECIAL TEAMS, got back our best defensive player after being found not guilty of any drinking related charges and took care of a playing surface issue that was slowly killing our star quarterback and decimating our backfield.

Gee, you guys are right. What were we thinking!!
    Nice post. I think you are slighty misunderstanding what's been said by the opposing fans however. What you said is just about spot on. There's a slight bit of homersim in it, but no fan is without it. The Rams have done a few things to be optimistic about. Most fans usually are able to find things to be optismistic about this time of year. All a few of the opposing fans have said is that it's not as utterly amazing and awe-inspiring as some on this board make it out to be. Nobody is saying that the things you stated are bad things. Just that they aren't the "I'd have never believed it" type of events that you guys are saying they are.

HornyRam is offline Registered User

I think you are slighty misunderstanding what's been said by the opposing fans however.
    Well if you'd like us to understand, maybe you need to work on your tact and communication skills, because quite frankly, they are severly lacking in creating any form of understanding towards a meaningful retort to the thread.

What you said is just about spot on. There's a slight bit of homersim in it, but no fan is without it.
    How many posts did it take you to become incongruous with yourself? You count, I can't be bothered with trivial math.

The Rams have done a few things to be optimistic about. Most fans usually are able to find things to be optismistic about this time of year.
    Cmon dude, your contradictions simply do not become you as the disgruntled hawks fan that you are.

All a few of the opposing fans have said is that it's not as utterly amazing and awe-inspiring as some on this board make it out to be.
    And just who in the sam hell made these offseason moves out to be amazing and awe-inspiring, other than your own misconception that is?

Just that they aren't the "I'd have never believed it" type of events that you guys are saying they are.
    Well Mr_Sea_I_Told_You_So, please tell us just how many of your hawks offseason moves you predicted before they happened?

Besides 29 straight seasons without a NFL championship, is there anything worse than a crybaby hawks fan?

:tongue:
    Last edited by HornyRam; -05-14-2005 at 11:45 PM.

So while Barron is a nice pick and went a few picks past when many thought, he by no means was a gift dropped from heaven.
    Nor did I say he was. But he was regarded by most as the best tackle available, and thought to be gone by #19. You claimed he went where people projected him to go, and that wasn't the case for the most part, as I pointed out. I ran our Draft Forum. I followed a lot of the mocks as they came out and then developed in different versions. As you pointed out, the majority had Barron going earlier. And those are just the latter final mocks. Earlier in the spring he was mentioned as a potential top ten pick, some as early as #2 to Miami.

Regardless, I don't think anyone is selling their house to get Super Bowl tickets just yet. But this has been one of the better offseasons in recent memory, and having a guy like Alex Barron fall to us - yes, that's what happened - was just another piece of what looks to be a good puzzle. I think that's all Avenger was saying in his original post, and I didn't see any Rams fan respond in this thread praising any mystical power for everything falling into place and the universe being aligned for this team. Most people just said that had they known everything that was going to happen this spring, they'd be excited. That's it.

But far be it from me to get in your way of exaggerating our excitement as an excuse to rip on the team.

SeaTown Guest

There's no need to get ugly here guys. I just gave my 2 cents on the list you had and a few of your guys took offense to my opinion. I then felt the need to reply to their retorts. This is stupid really. It's the offseason, nothing has happened yet. As they say, hope springs eternal, and that saying applies dead on with football fans this time of year. Neither will ever convince the other otherwise. So let's not try. But we should be able to propose outside opinions without making things hostile.

Here's my basic view of both of our offseasons. Feel free to give your opinions as well. I'm sure we are both bound to learn towards the obvious line of thinking here, but let's just see how it goes for the heck of it.

Rans - Resigned Pace, huge. Signed Claiborne and Coakley. Decent enough upgrades, but not mind blowing. I like Coakley, but not Claiborne. Draft for me was a mixed bag. Like many have said, hit or miss. Barron will probably help out right away. Not sure about anybody else. I'm sure you guys are all way more up on your draft picks and their upside than I am. But from what I've read about them and what people have said, doesn't sound like much. One move the Rams made that could easily be missed was naming Stephen Jackson the starter at rb. This IMO is an awesome move. Faulk is getting old and Jackson is the real deal. I saw him play college ball at OSU and the guy is a load. I was bummed when the Rams got him last year on draft day. I dunno how many snaps sMartz plans on giving him, but the more the better. If there are any moves you guys made of importance that I didn't mention, feel free to remind me. Tucker at guard is a decent pick up. Don't remember who he is replacing, so I guess that says something.

Now for me to combat your homerism with a little of my own (ha ha ha).

Hawks - First off, resigned Hasselbeck and Walter Jones and subsequently franchised Alexander. This was HUGE, simply huge. Hawk fans thought there was no way, repeat no way the team was going to be able to keep all three. At best we were hoping to resign one and franchise the other. It looked like the team was for sure going to lose at least Jones or Alexander. The teams president and GM were fired and things looked even worse. Somehow, some way they were able to resign both Hass and Jones without a GM or Prez. Then Alexander was given the tag.

Going into this offseason things looked bleak to say the least. The club had SIXTEEN free agents including multiple starters. We lost two starters in Ken Lucas and Chike Okeafor. At the time it looked like two huge hits. Lucas and Chike were two of the better performers on a weak defense last year. Lucas took the money and ran, plain and simple. He got HUGE dollars from Carolina. While I wanted to keep him very badly, I wouldn't give him that kinda money ever. It was only a season ago that the Hawks signed Bobby Taylor to take his starting spot. The guy responded awesome and had a great year. But before that his career was hit and miss to say the least. Chike was a good player, but nothing amazing. would've liked to see him stay, but oh well. Also lost Orlando Huff to the Cards. Oh no. (sarcasm on) The team then cut ties with starting linebackers Anthony Simmons and Chad Brown. Brown will be missed by Hawk fans greatly. His heart will be missed. He was a true warrior. The sad fact was that he was hurt more than we was healthy the past few years. While I would've loved to see him stay on as a situational pass rusher, his days as an everyday starter are gone. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions to better the team. Simmons, while one of the more physically talented Seahawks, was a locker room cancer and a walking mash unit. The fact that he has yet to sign on with a new team says a lot.

The Hawks replaced Okeafor with a guy you all know pretty well, Bryce Fisher. Can't say I know the guy as well as you do, but his production last year was almost dead par with what Chike did. I consider that position a wash. The loss of Lucas was combated with the signings of former Denver starter Kelly Herndon and former Titan starter Andre Dyson. Really, Dyson is arguably a better player than Lucas. It could go either way, but it's pretty close. The thing is thought that the Hawks were able to sign BOTH Dyson and Herndon, two starters for LESS money than it took the Panthers to sign Lucas. IMHO that is huge. In the West going up against teams like the Rams and Cards you need at least 3 good corners. The nickle back plays almost as much as a starter. Last year the Hawks 3rd corner was Kris Richard (Taylor was hurt most of the year). Keeping Lucas might have given you 2 better corners, but with Trufant, Dyson, and Herndon you are way better as a whole at the corner position. Replacing the departed linebacking crew is Jamie Sharper, whose averaged 150 some odd tackles the past 5 years, Kevin Bentley (a good backup really), some draft picks, and a few guys who were hurt last year. A position of question to say the least. But the Hawks have more than a few players with potential that will be given the chance to step it up. They also signed Chartric Darby, a starting DT from TB to add to the d line depth, and WR's Joe Jurevicious and Jerome Pathon, who will greatly add to the receiving corps. The draft was much like your own. Nothing to wow anybody. A starting center of the future who probably won't help much this year, a linebacker from USC who "could" be special, and a bunch of unknowns who will at best contribute to special teams.

Sorry if I was able to write more on my team than yours. I'm sure you can understand why. You see, there are reasons for everybody to be optimistic this time of year. Feel free to chime in on your views of each teams offseason. Let's just try to keep it friendly. I don't like fighting about football. It's stupid and trivial. I rather "discuss" our teams like knowlegdable fans than argue like biased idiots.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice post. I think you are slighty misunderstanding what's been said by the opposing fans however. What you said is just about spot on. There's a slight bit of homersim in it, but no fan is without it. The Rams have done a few things to be optimistic about. Most fans usually are able to find things to be optismistic about this time of year. All a few of the opposing fans have said is that it's not as utterly amazing and awe-inspiring as some on this board make it out to be. Nobody is saying that the things you stated are bad things. Just that they aren't the "I'd have never believed it" type of events that you guys are saying they are.
    Since your not a Ram fan and you haven't been through what we have, I think you are actually misunderstanding where we're coming from. I'm one of those guys that likes to question the front office, Mike Martz and the organization, often to the chagrin of my ClanRam brothers, but I can honestly say for the first time in several years I am extremely encouraged and indeed surprised at what has transpired this off-season. Given the constraints of our salary cap situation, I can't see how we could have done much better at seeing that this team is improved. That fact alone, knowing some of the decisions we've endured like the total lack of attention to special teams, sending Marc Bulger out to be slammed against a concrete playing surface week after week and letting the Pace situation become a major distraction, is cause enough to believe the moves made so far are huge.

Time will tell if we pulled the right strings, but if I were a Seattle or Arizona fan, I would not be looking forward to playing the 2005 version of the St. Louis Rams, especially after the way we ran roughshod through the NFC West with a weaker team in 2004. Look out, cause we're coming.

a few of your guys took offense to my opinion.
    The only thing I took offense to is your misrepresentation of how we're carrying ourselves, by suggesting we were gathering together to drink Kool-Aid since the stars had to be aligned for this amazing offseason.

But from what I've read about them and what people have said, doesn't sound like much.
    Wait, are we talking about the Rams or Seahawks draft here? At least we took a bonafide first rounder in the first round.

First off, resigned Hasselbeck and Walter Jones and subsequently franchised Alexander. This was HUGE, simply huge.
    I agree completely. I didn't think you guys would be able to get all three. Is it true that Alexander will probably be signed long term in July?

I consider that position a wash.
    You shouldn't. Fisher didn't do much at all until the end of the year, and benefitted greatly from having Leonard Little on the other side of the line. I doubt he's as productive on a line bookended by Wistrom.

The thing is thought that the Hawks were able to sign BOTH Dyson and Herndon, two starters for LESS money than it took the Panthers to sign Lucas.
    I don't consider Herndon more than a nickel back, probably the guy who's going to be stealing time from Bobby Taylor, if he's even on the team when the season begins.

Still, I think Dyson, Trufant, and Herndon is better than the Lucas, Trufant, Taylor combo.

Replacing the departed linebacking crew is Jamie Sharper, whose averaged 150 some odd tackles the past 5 years
    Actually it's closer to 124 total, 95 solo, but who's counting? I'll assume it was your homerism that hyped the number a bit.

Sharper's going to help you in run support, but I wouldn't count on him to make a play on a ball in the air. Two career interceptions isn't impressive in the slightest.

It's interesting though how the Seahawks have players with potential while the Rams' LB core is just "crap," as you put it. :bored:

WR's Joe Jurevicious and Jerome Pathon, who will greatly add to the receiving corps.
    "Greatly" is a bit of an overstatement. Jurevicious has quality hands, if he can stay on the field. A 30-year-old receiver who only appeared in 30 games the last three years wouldn't have me throwing out the word "greatly." As for Pathon, decent signing but nothing special - speedy guy but isn't known for great hands. Maybe that's why he's in Seattle. :redface:

I'm not sure where you get "great" out of either of these players, though. Who's starting opposite of Jackson this season? Because I don't see Engram, Jurevicious, or Pathon as anything more than a slot or possession receiver, and Koren Robinson is a disappointment.

As for my analysis of what the Rams have done...

1) Signing Pace long term is something we've been fighting for years now, and definitely is a huge step in the right direction. No longer will we be hindered by the franchise tag on that offensive tackle, and can now use it on other players if we feel they're worthy. Furthermore, we get Pace in training camp, so any drop off in play we saw last season should be corrected.

2) No one's going to pretend Claiborne is an all-world player. But he's going to provide a solid presence in the middle, which is more than anyone can say for those who have tried to replace London Fletcher thus far (Jamie Duncan, Robert Thomas, Trev Faulk). Claiborne's biggest problem is the hype that surrounded him and the subsequent disappointment when he didn't live up to it. I think he's a solid linebacker who's going to do well in the middle, a position he hasn't had the chance to excel at since college. Coakley is a former Pro Bowl guy who is going to immediately improve our open field tackling and be a leader for these young guys. With Aeneas Williams leaving, having a leader like Coakley on defense to replace him is not going to be praised much but should be. The bottom line is even if Claiborne and Coakley aren't the cream of the crop, they are vey clear and very strong upgrades over Robert Thomas and Tommy Polley.

3) Losing Bryce Fisher to free agency wasn't painful at all, considering that had he stayed, he would have been a situational player behind starter Tony Hargrove, who actually did a good job pushing around Walter Jones in the playoffs last season. The Rams have added decent but unspectacular depth at defensive tackle in Jay Williams and Brandon Green, and will move Jimmy Kennedy - who started playing like a first round pick toward the end of last season - into the starting line-up behind Ryan Pickett. In the secondary, I still feel the Rams could use a real playmaking primary cornerback to push Butler out of the starting role, but they added solid nickel/dime depth with their second round pick in Ron Bartell and the free agent pick-up of Michael Hawthorne, though I'd prefer if Hawthorne only saw the field during kick coverages.

4) Safety was a concern, and I don't have much optimism that Adam Archuleta is going to work out as a free safety. My prognostication is that he is offered a minimal contract by the Rams after this season at best, because it seems clear that by drafting Bartell, Atogwe, and Carter, the Rams think they have their defensive secondary taken care of. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter or Atogwe win a starting safety job going into this season, because both have shown a lot of potential. I'm a really big fan of Atogwe, so I'd like to see him make a quick impact.

5) Some might not think the field turf is that big an issue, but when you sit here during the season and watch guys go down with injuries resulting from playing on concrete, then it becomes a huge plus for us. Especially when you consider that the Rams practice facility is layered with it, so the team is plenty used to working on it. So let's see... fewer injuries to our team, and already a familiarity with it. Sounds like a plus to me.

6) Rex Tucker on the offensive line is a gamble, but the guy's a solid interior lineman when he's healthy. He is after all a former Pro Bowl player from 2001, I believe. It's better than calling Dishman and Nutten out of retirement to fill that interior role for us. And while Barron has some questions about motivation and attitude, he has all the physical tools to be a dominant tackle - either side - in this league. He excels at pass blocking, which was a real weakness for the Rams on the right side of that line. Furthermore, the signing that no one seems to be mentioning because on the surface it appears minimal, is getting tight end Roland Williams on this squad. The hope is that Williams is going to increase the efficiency of our short yardage and red zone offense by adding a blocking force on the offensive line. If Madison Hedge**** can beat out Goodspeed as the starting fullback, even better - the kid is a bulldozer as a lead blocker, and I'm sure Steven Jackson will send him a fruit basket if that decision is announced.

All in all, the Rams didn't go out and sign the biggest names at their need positions. They didn't jump on Ed Hartwell, but they did get a solid guy in Claiborne. The Coakley signing had me surprised and pleased, though I wish they would have signed him for three years and not five. They added depth to their offensive line, which was a weakness in 2004. They added depth at safety, which was a weakness after this offseason. Whatever weaknesses the Rams had last season they've addressed, which in my book makes for a successful and praise-worthy couple of months.

viper is offline Registered User

All in all, the Rams didn't go out and sign the biggest names at their need positions. They didn't jump on Ed Hartwell, but they did get a solid guy in Claiborne. The Coakley signing had me surprised and pleased, though I wish they would have signed him for three years and not five. They added depth to their offensive line, which was a weakness in 2004. They added depth at safety, which was a weakness after this offseason. Whatever weaknesses the Rams had last season they've addressed, which in my book makes for a successful and praise-worthy couple of months.
    Not to mention the major focus on special teams in the offseason as r8rh8rmike pointed out.

Yep, I completely forgot about that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast