Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: If Spag's Did Indeed Lose the Team, Was It When...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If Spag's Did Indeed Lose the Team, Was It When...

If Spag's Did Indeed Lose the Team, Was It When...

It was decided that O.J Atogwe was not to be brought back? Interesting concept.
    viper, THOLTFAN81 and Ramone like this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: If Spag's Did Indeed Lose the Team, Was It When...

He called 3 straight run plays in a relatively close game that netted 1 total yard....

Essentially giving up

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    He called 3 straight run plays in a relatively close game that netted 1 total yard....Essentially giving up
    Ya im sure he calls the offensive plays with Mcdaniels at OC...(sarcasm ended)Also you make it sound as if the plan was to only net one yard...forgive them for giving the ball to our best player rather than a mediocre beyond rusty backup QB

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The problem with the play calling is that it is too vanilla and too obvious.

My favourite play that ive seen all season was on a third down against the Redskins. I think they lined up Pettis in the slot on the left, motioned him into the backfield, then he ran a route out right past the first down marker and Bradford rolled out and hit him for a first down.

Thats the play calling i wanted to see with McDaniels at OC. The kind of play calling Henry Winkler's Coach Klein comes up with at the end of The Waterboy. Instead, it looks like our coaches are calling terrible plays, possibly due to being afraid of the opposite HC

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Ya im sure he calls the offensive plays with Mcdaniels at OC...(sarcasm ended)Also you make it sound as if the plan was to only net one yard...forgive them for giving the ball to our best player rather than a mediocre beyond rusty backup QB

Really? you are defending the dubious playcalling? I would say that the coaches got it backwards. Running three straight times against a stalwart run defense AFTER the Rams were given the ball the 40 was just strange and then.......first and goal from the 2, three passes that went nowhere capped off by leaving Sjax out to dry with a run that was ill advised.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    IMO, they should have focused more on giving the ball to Lloyd. He's the player on our team that currently, has the most potential to make a big play and gain some yards for us, especially against the #1 run defense in the league.

I did not agree with trying to run up the middle 3 times in a row against a stout Cowboy's interior and a weak interior o-line.

But back to my original point, I think not re-signing O.J started the downhill mentality. O.J was one of our captains on and off the field, and not bringing him back probably did not sit well with the players that knew him/looked up to him. After all the time Atogwe invested in trying to play on a rebuilding team, he is finally let go at the beginning of a season that had potential.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Good thread, Rockin. It is hard to define the seminal moment when the team gave up and stopped listening to Spagnuolo. All I can say is that I posted that the Rams QUIT in the Baltimore game (for reasons still not quite sure of) and nothing they have done since then has caused me to change my mind at all.

BTW Ya'll watch the lowly J'ville Jaguars take it to Big, Bad, Ravens last night? Shows what a team committed to tough, physical and emotional football can do with a team that is far superior talent wise.

P.S. And make no mistake about it, the Jaguars haven't got anymore talent or playmakers than we do. In fact, I would argue just the opposite....

WHAT SAY YE?
    laram0 and RockinRam like this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    P.S. And make no mistake about it, the Jaguars haven't got anymore talent or playmakers than we do. In fact, I would argue just the opposite....

WHAT SAY YE?
    Thats because they have Jack Del Rio as the head coach.
    laram0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Good thread, Rockin. It is hard to define the seminal moment when the team gave up and stopped listening to Spagnuolo. All I can say is that I posted that the Rams QUIT in the Baltimore game (for reasons still not quite sure of) and nothing they have done since then has caused me to change my mind at all.

BTW Ya'll watch the lowly J'ville Jaguars take it to Big, Bad, Ravens last night? Shows what a team committed to tough, physical and emotional football can do with a team that is far superior talent wise.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Oh yes, I watched the Jaguars game (Flacco and Rice are on my fantasy team, I was so screwed). It pains me to see other teams that have roughly the equivalent talent as us have so much more success in this league. While they are on the field providing what looks like a legitimate football game, the Rams are the ones that gets their heads stomped in every week.

It's also frustrating to watch the young QBs in this league (Newton, Ponder, Sanchez, Stafford, Gabbert, Tebow, etc.) have successful games because they are provided and surrounded by good talent, while Bradford is on his ass again because half our offensive line is pancaked on their ass and the corners are running the routes better than the receivers.

From the start of the first game, there was just this feeling that something was off. Like something just wasn't right. I didn't know what it was, but I had my doubts that this team was the same team (mentality wise) as last year. I just don't know what happened, and where it happened. There's more to meets the eye, whether it be the loss of Atogwe, the veterans just stopped caring, I really don't know.

But what I do know is that something's got to change.
    macrammer likes this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam;400653[B
    But what I do know is that something's got to change. [/B]
    Agreed. I'm going to work on posting a thread on a group of CURRENT NFL coaches who may be out of a job at the end of this year. I am starting to think that one of them will be the Rams next HC.

As a matter of fact we were watching one last night. I predict that J. Del Rio will be out as the Jax head coach and will become available.

My question is would you be interested in a guy like Del Rio?

What say ye, Rams fans??

stlramman is offline Registered User

Perhaps when punting with just over two minutes remaining down 28-16 to the giants? That is when he started to lose this fan. He threw in the towel, essentially gave your team NO shot at a miracle finish. Disgusting!
    r8rh8rmike and Fettmaster like this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

When it was announced in the locker room the team is going to move to Los Angeles.

Usually collapses of this magnitude have something seismic like that as a root cause. Look at the Atlanta Thrashers in the NHL last season. Team just quit in February after being competitive for a playoff spot, and it came out later that February was when the team learned it was likely going to move.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by stlramman View Post
    Perhaps when punting with just over two minutes remaining down 28-16 to the giants? That is when he started to lose this fan. He threw in the towel, essentially gave your team NO shot at a miracle finish. Disgusting!
    This was the first thought I had when I read the thread title. Spags just crying uncle late in the 4th quarter of the Giants game had to have an effect on the team.
    stlramman and RockinRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This was the first thought I had when I read the thread title. Spags just crying uncle late in the 4th quarter of the Giants game had to have an effect on the team.
    That too. There's just some actions he does and decisions he makes that are very questionable, especially when he has a team that is supposedly on a rise and needs momentum and hope. Like I've been saying, Spags isn't a winner. He just isn't. Half the time when the camera is panned on him, he has a dumbfounded expression with a negative body language.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by stlramman View Post
    This is what I was thinking. If Spags has "lost the team" it had to be against the Giants. The Rams players were hanging tough, and Steve put them in a position to lose, and that's what they did. It wasn't just that one play though, it was this whole game. Down by multiple touchdowns, Spags opted to kick field goals. The lack of adjustments. All of it. The next week against Baltimore, the team looked totally flat and uninspired.

A football team will take on the mentality of its head coach. This is why the Rams play pansy football.
    stlramman and RockinRam like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast