Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

I have read some reports of "rumblings" that the Rams might be interested in Jeff Fisher if Spags is let go.

Let me say that, while I am not convinced that letting Spags go is the answer, I am a fan of Fisher and would support his candidacy for the job.

The guy has a proven track record as a coach (winning %, playoffs, Super Bowl appearance). His teams were typically tough, physical and often played above their perceived talent level.

I would be particularly happy with such a move if Fisher was agreeable to maintaining Josh McDaniels as his OC. I don't want Sam Bradford to be thrown into a third system in three years. Given that Fisher is a "defensive minded" coach, I could see him working well with McDaniels.

This is not a "fire Spagnuolo" thread. Its more of an "if _____, then _____" thread.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-27-2011 at 11:57 AM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

I agree with everything you said -- I just hope IF we make a change, we do it early -- so that we get get some personnel in here -- NO time wasted ....let's get this line blocking ....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I will extend your If/Then scenario:

If Spags is gone, then bring in Fisher.
    If Devaney is gone, then bring in Reese.

Floyd Reese and Jeff Fisher were a great team in Nashville and Houston. He has shown a niche for finding talent and knowing when to let them walk away (Drew Bennett? Jacob Bell?) Vince Young notwithstanding, you won't find too many blemishes on Reese's personnel selections.

Can we get him away from his cush job with the Pats?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Agreed. I said on a thread several weeks ago that I'd like Jeff Fischer if Spags is let go. He always had competetive teams and has a proven track record.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I also like Fisher a lot, that being said I still would like Spags to have one more year. His contract is up and so is McDaniels next year if by the middle of next year with full OTA and another draft if he can't get it together that seems like a clean break.

I like Fisher he would be an outstanding choice.

My concern is the GM, Billy has not got the players in here to build the team from the inside out. Both lines are playing poor in year three.

If we do move on I want to see Stan step in with an overhaul
    of the operation and I think Billy would have to go as well.

I hate starting over I'm getting to old for these set backs, so I hope we finish this year strong and play much better next year ... time will tell.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I also like Fisher a lot, that being said I still would like Spags to have one more year. His contract is up and so is McDaniels next year if by the middle of next year with full OTA and another draft if he can't get it together that seems like a clean break.

I like Fisher he would be an outstanding choice.

My concern is the GM, Billy has not got the players in here to build the team from the inside out. Both lines are playing poor in year three.

If we do move on I want to see Stan step in with an overhaul
    of the operation and I think Billy would have to go as well.

I hate starting over I'm getting to old for these set backs, so I hope we finish this year strong and play much better next year ... time will tell.
    Hark. What is this sound I hear? Another vote for Floyd Reese?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MikeD is offline Registered User

I'd be sad.

macrammer is offline Registered User

hopefully these "rumblings" turn into action and we do indeed bring in Mr Fisher.

Truth is offline Registered User

While I don't mind McDaniels, and I realize that changing the OC again would present "issues," I would not want to hamstring a new HC by "making" him accept an OC he might not like/agree with/share philosophies with, etc. I think such a move (making a HC accept McDaniels) is only asking for trouble and possible division in the locker room, or worse, between the coaching staff and FO. If Fisher were to take over the HC spot, he would have to be the one to decide on his coaching staff, as he is the one who will ultimately be held responsible for their success or failure. If you're that set on keeping McDaniels as the OC, then you'd have to make him the HC, and that I would NEVER support (see Denver Broncos).
    MauiRam likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have read some reports of "rumblings" that the Rams might be interested in Jeff Fisher if Spags is let go.

Let me say that, while I am not convinced that letting Spags go is the answer, I am a fan of Fisher and would support his candidacy for the job.

The guy has a proven track record as a coach (winning %, playoffs, Super Bowl appearance). His teams were typically tough, physical and often played above their perceived talent level.

I would be particularly happy with such a move if Fisher was agreeable to maintaining Josh McDaniels as his OC. I don't want Sam Bradford to be thrown into a third system in three years. Given that Fisher is a "defensive minded" coach, I could see him working well with McDaniels.

This is not a "fire Spagnuolo" thread. Its more of an "if _____, then _____" thread.
    I, too, am very interested in Jeff Fisher if this is the case. And HUb's mention of Floyd Reese has me a "tinglin'" all over... But could you please share the source of the reports that you based your assertion on?

I'm sure it would make for a good read....

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Jeff Fisher would be a homerun in my opinion. Another HC that looks like he will be available after this season ends is JACK DEL RIO. I would prefer Fisher and Del Rio would be okay with me if Fisher didn't happen.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I, too, am very interested in Jeff Fisher if this is the case. And HUb's mention of Floyd Reese has me a "tinglin'" all over... But could you please share the source of the reports that you based your assertion on?

I'm sure it would make for a good read....

WHAT SAY YE?
    I dont know avenger's source but yesterday on mike and mike in the morning, clayton actually said that (and. Im paraphrasing) "if spags is fired, st louis would be the MOST attractive job for any hc becuase of bradford.". And the only name he dropped for the job was jeff fisher

richtree is offline Registered User

With all this being said -- I really want to give JC, Spags, Devaney 1 more year.....

I know that may not be popular, but the league had very extreme circumstances......

A full offseason could / should make a big difference....
    sonnyjames and SWFCRAM like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind Fisher, as long as he's willing to keep McD as an OC. Bringing Bradford in a 3rd system spells disaster for his development. I'm sure Fisher is willing to learn the spread playbook since it's high powered in offense while Fisher can help rebuild a demoralized defense.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Jeff Fisher would be a homerun in my opinion. Another HC that looks like he will be available after this season ends is JACK DEL RIO. I would prefer Fisher and Del Rio would be okay with me if Fisher didn't happen.
    Jack Del Rio? In 10 years, he's never won a division. Hardly the guy I want in here to replace Spags.
    stlramman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast