Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,479
    Rep Power
    167

    If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    I have read some reports of "rumblings" that the Rams might be interested in Jeff Fisher if Spags is let go.

    Let me say that, while I am not convinced that letting Spags go is the answer, I am a fan of Fisher and would support his candidacy for the job.

    The guy has a proven track record as a coach (winning %, playoffs, Super Bowl appearance). His teams were typically tough, physical and often played above their perceived talent level.

    I would be particularly happy with such a move if Fisher was agreeable to maintaining Josh McDaniels as his OC. I don't want Sam Bradford to be thrown into a third system in three years. Given that Fisher is a "defensive minded" coach, I could see him working well with McDaniels.

    This is not a "fire Spagnuolo" thread. Its more of an "if _____, then _____" thread.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-27-2011 at 11:57 AM.


  2. #2
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    I agree with everything you said -- I just hope IF we make a change, we do it early -- so that we get get some personnel in here -- NO time wasted ....let's get this line blocking ....

  3. #3
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    I will extend your If/Then scenario:

    If Spags is gone, then bring in Fisher.
    If Devaney is gone, then bring in Reese.

    Floyd Reese and Jeff Fisher were a great team in Nashville and Houston. He has shown a niche for finding talent and knowing when to let them walk away (Drew Bennett? Jacob Bell?) Vince Young notwithstanding, you won't find too many blemishes on Reese's personnel selections.

    Can we get him away from his cush job with the Pats?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #4
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,192
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    Agreed. I said on a thread several weeks ago that I'd like Jeff Fischer if Spags is let go. He always had competetive teams and has a proven track record.

  5. #5
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,944
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    I also like Fisher a lot, that being said I still would like Spags to have one more year. His contract is up and so is McDaniels next year if by the middle of next year with full OTA and another draft if he can't get it together that seems like a clean break.

    I like Fisher he would be an outstanding choice.

    My concern is the GM, Billy has not got the players in here to build the team from the inside out. Both lines are playing poor in year three.

    If we do move on I want to see Stan step in with an overhaul
    of the operation and I think Billy would have to go as well.

    I hate starting over I'm getting to old for these set backs, so I hope we finish this year strong and play much better next year ... time will tell.

  6. #6
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I also like Fisher a lot, that being said I still would like Spags to have one more year. His contract is up and so is McDaniels next year if by the middle of next year with full OTA and another draft if he can't get it together that seems like a clean break.

    I like Fisher he would be an outstanding choice.

    My concern is the GM, Billy has not got the players in here to build the team from the inside out. Both lines are playing poor in year three.

    If we do move on I want to see Stan step in with an overhaul
    of the operation and I think Billy would have to go as well.

    I hate starting over I'm getting to old for these set backs, so I hope we finish this year strong and play much better next year ... time will tell.
    Hark. What is this sound I hear? Another vote for Floyd Reese?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #7
    MikeD's Avatar
    MikeD is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    I'd be sad.

  8. #8
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    hopefully these "rumblings" turn into action and we do indeed bring in Mr Fisher.

  9. #9
    Truth's Avatar
    Truth is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,389
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    While I don't mind McDaniels, and I realize that changing the OC again would present "issues," I would not want to hamstring a new HC by "making" him accept an OC he might not like/agree with/share philosophies with, etc. I think such a move (making a HC accept McDaniels) is only asking for trouble and possible division in the locker room, or worse, between the coaching staff and FO. If Fisher were to take over the HC spot, he would have to be the one to decide on his coaching staff, as he is the one who will ultimately be held responsible for their success or failure. If you're that set on keeping McDaniels as the OC, then you'd have to make him the HC, and that I would NEVER support (see Denver Broncos).
    MauiRam likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

  10. #10
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have read some reports of "rumblings" that the Rams might be interested in Jeff Fisher if Spags is let go.

    Let me say that, while I am not convinced that letting Spags go is the answer, I am a fan of Fisher and would support his candidacy for the job.

    The guy has a proven track record as a coach (winning %, playoffs, Super Bowl appearance). His teams were typically tough, physical and often played above their perceived talent level.

    I would be particularly happy with such a move if Fisher was agreeable to maintaining Josh McDaniels as his OC. I don't want Sam Bradford to be thrown into a third system in three years. Given that Fisher is a "defensive minded" coach, I could see him working well with McDaniels.

    This is not a "fire Spagnuolo" thread. Its more of an "if _____, then _____" thread.
    I, too, am very interested in Jeff Fisher if this is the case. And HUb's mention of Floyd Reese has me a "tinglin'" all over... But could you please share the source of the reports that you based your assertion on?

    I'm sure it would make for a good read....


    WHAT SAY YE?

  11. #11
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    Jeff Fisher would be a homerun in my opinion. Another HC that looks like he will be available after this season ends is JACK DEL RIO. I would prefer Fisher and Del Rio would be okay with me if Fisher didn't happen.

  12. #12
    Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I, too, am very interested in Jeff Fisher if this is the case. And HUb's mention of Floyd Reese has me a "tinglin'" all over... But could you please share the source of the reports that you based your assertion on?

    I'm sure it would make for a good read....


    WHAT SAY YE?
    I dont know avenger's source but yesterday on mike and mike in the morning, clayton actually said that (and. Im paraphrasing) "if spags is fired, st louis would be the MOST attractive job for any hc becuase of bradford.". And the only name he dropped for the job was jeff fisher

  13. #13
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    With all this being said -- I really want to give JC, Spags, Devaney 1 more year.....

    I know that may not be popular, but the league had very extreme circumstances......

    A full offseason could / should make a big difference....
    sonnyjames and SWFCRAM like this.

  14. #14
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,434
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    I wouldn't mind Fisher, as long as he's willing to keep McD as an OC. Bringing Bradford in a 3rd system spells disaster for his development. I'm sure Fisher is willing to learn the spread playbook since it's high powered in offense while Fisher can help rebuild a demoralized defense.

  15. #15
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,192
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Jeff Fisher would be a homerun in my opinion. Another HC that looks like he will be available after this season ends is JACK DEL RIO. I would prefer Fisher and Del Rio would be okay with me if Fisher didn't happen.
    Jack Del Rio? In 10 years, he's never won a division. Hardly the guy I want in here to replace Spags.
    stlramman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sando: Why Ex-***** Wragge Makes Sense For Rams
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -09-08-2011, 12:21 PM
  2. Bernie Bytes: Why Quinn Makes Sense
    By r8rh8rmike in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
  3. Haloti Ngata DT makes sense...
    By rampete in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -04-29-2006, 01:12 PM
  4. Dealing James for Surtain makes sense
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: -02-14-2005, 09:32 PM
  5. Picking the Rams makes good sense
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-08-2005, 06:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •