Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Re: If Spags is let go, the Jeff Fisher plan makes sense.

Cowher would be terrific, he has been great in all phases of the game as a head coach.

Normally has had great/good defenses.
    On offense has played smash mouth football but in his later years showed a willingness to open it up with the passing game.

Adaptable coach. I'd want him over Fisher or just about anyone available.

The only red flag would be, the Steelers have usually been good in general, and that has been attributed to their front office.

Good head coach, but he may not be the be all end all, to turn the organization around.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Personally, Id like to see a dynamic front office, with a good, solid HC. I stand true on Schottenheimer, as he, like Vermeil, just wins. He may not bring a superbowl, but he knows how to build a good foundation.

Cowher would be nice, but Im not sure the guy wants to coach anymore.
    Schottenheimer would be an intriguing prospect. I agree, he always knew how to build a solid team. I watched a special on him a few years ago. I was totally amazed with his words of wisdom, his ability to teach, his interaction with his players and his character. An incredible person and coach. Yes, I know he struggled in the playoffs. But, he didn't have Sam Bradford either.

Cowher would be my first choice of those being discussed. But, he doesn't seem too interested in coaching anymore. Same as Jimmie Johnson, who I think would be another intriguing option.
    Last edited by viper; -10-29-2011 at 01:05 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Schottenheimer would be an intriguing prospect. I agree, he always knew how to build a solid team. I watched a special on him a few years ago. I was totally amazed with his words of wisdom, his ability to teach, his interaction with his players and his character. An incredible person and coach. Yes, I know he struggled in the playoffs. But, he didn't have Sam Bradford either.

Cowher would be my first choice of those being discussed. But, he doesn't seem too interested in coaching anymore. Same as Jimmie Johnson, who I think would be another intriguing option.
    Cowher actually does want to coach. He said he will just be very picky.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Bringing in Bill Cowher will be like Seattle bringing in Mike Holmgren several years ago, it works for a while then he wants to run the whole operation and you wind up with a marginal coach, a marginal GM and not very good things for down the road. I like Cowher as a motivator and I think he'd bring a discipline we now lack, but it's a huge price to pay. I don't even think he would come here. He wants to go to Miami if he goes anywhere. IMHO

Go Rams!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Cowher is where the smart money is! A proven Champion. Rams need someone in here to develope champions, not pilars!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Cowher is where the smart money is! A proven Champion. Rams need someone in here to develope champions, not pilars!
    I don't disagree at all with developing champions, I just don't think he would come to St. Louis. The other factor is the organization will have to prepare for a complete overhaul because he wouldn't tolerate the player selection the current administration has been making.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Bill Cowher, according to what I've read in a couple of places, would listen to offers but be very selective. He would only go to a situation where he had a QB he felt he could win with and an organization (Owner) with whom he could work. Supposedly money "is not a factor" as he has over 30 million from his previous coaching gig.

Jimmie Johnson is done. He's not leaving the Florida Keys and the studio booth for St. Louis.

Marty Schottenheimer is a guy I've always liked, but I'm not sure at this stage in the game asking a guy who's pushing 70 is the answer.

Do not discount the unknown name. We all have our "wish lists" of "name" guys, but Atlanta hired Mike Smith, Baltimore hired John Harbaugh and Green Bay hired Mike McCarthy- none of whom are household names- and all three are doing great work with their teams.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Yeah bring in Fisher, A guy we beat in the Superbowl, that makes alot of sense

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

please disregard my twisted sense of humor...i will stop, for now.....sorry but after the beatings we've been taking, not much to cheer about or do.....so i apologize ahead of time

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Fisher is a good guy, I have always liked the toughness of his teams. We need someone to kick some tail around here if its not going to be Spags.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm intrigued by the idea of Jeff Fisher, but not exactly in love with it. Worries me a bit that he fielded only two winning teams in his final seven years in Tennessee, but his duration in that job speaks to his ability as a coach.

As for those clamoring for Cowher or Gruden, I don't see much reason they'd leave cushy broadcasting jobs to try and clean up the Rams.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have read some reports of "rumblings" that the Rams might be interested in Jeff Fisher if Spags is let go.

Let me say that, while I am not convinced that letting Spags go is the answer, I am a fan of Fisher and would support his candidacy for the job.

The guy has a proven track record as a coach (winning %, playoffs, Super Bowl appearance). His teams were typically tough, physical and often played above their perceived talent level.

I would be particularly happy with such a move if Fisher was agreeable to maintaining Josh McDaniels as his OC. I don't want Sam Bradford to be thrown into a third system in three years. Given that Fisher is a "defensive minded" coach, I could see him working well with McDaniels.

This is not a "fire Spagnuolo" thread. Its more of an "if _____, then _____" thread.
    If Sam were to be thriving in this offense, or under McDaniel's tutelage, I might agree with you. However, with the exception of 1 game, I've seen nothing to recommend the current offense or
    McDaniels as a play caller. Bradford has yet to win a game in this offense, under this coordinator. So, what are you seeing that makes you so hot on keeping this system and its creator?
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I would love to get Fisher. I believe he's one of the top coaches in the nfl.

Also agree that no matter who's coaching next year we need to keep McDaniels. I just hope they don't promote him to HC.

richtree is offline Registered User

funny thing is the defense is great and the offense stinks.....so why look for a new coach....keep these guys one more time/year

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123