View Poll Results: Is 3/500 yards, 26 td's good enough for Sam's 3rd year?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • etter Yes, it shows hes improving and deserves to be our QB next year.

18 81.82%
  • No, he needs to be much better to be given the starting job in 2013.

0 0%
  • I wont be happy, but i wont be mad either. I'll be content, would like more but happy its not less.

3 13.64%
  • We need to draft a new QB with one of our 1st rounds picks.

1 4.55%
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By Richbert88
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: If these are Bradfords stats...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

If these are Bradfords stats...

3,500 yards
    26 td's

would you be happy with this or not?

I use those numbers because those are Mark Sanchez's numbers in his 3rd year in the league. His complete stats for 2011 are-

3,474 yards
    26 td's
    18 int's
    4 fumbles
    56.7 completion %

Knowing Bradford his int's would be lower. I think w can all agree he is a better qb.

After rewatching our first preseason game, the schotty dink n' dunk isnt near as bad as shumars. shumar goes for 1-3 yard dink and dunk, schotty goes for 5-8 yard ones.

But anyways, if Bradford ended with those most basic of stats, would you be fine with that?

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: If these are Bradfords stats...

Bradford better put up 4500 yards and 30 tds next season or he is a bust.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd be happy with the yards and TD's, but like you said, Bradford is 100x more careful with the ball. I'd say he'd only throw about 13 INT's max. Even with all the things that went horribly wrong last year, he still broke even and only threw 6 INT's in 10 games. If there is 1 thing Sam is the best in the NFL at, its not turning the ball over. If he can get his feet under him, and have some decent protection, Sam will re-gain his status as one of the BEST QB's in the NFL.

ALL we need to do is block for him. Our WR's will get open. Steve Smith and Amendola will most likely be the starters in a 2 WR set. They run solid routes and will get open, as long as the offensive line can hold up. We must use (and we will) a lot of 22 personnel. Kendricks is a SOLID blocker, and so is Matthew Mulligan. We must get TE's and HB's to chip in on DE's, because our strength is the interior of the line.

We can work around our weaknesses, and with a 17 year head coach in Jeff Fisher, I definitely think he can gravitate towards our strengths and cover-up our weaknesses.
    Tampa_Ram and cfin5256 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Sorry for the typos. cant go and change them though since there in the question and poll.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd be happy with the yards and TD's, but like you said, Bradford is 100x more careful with the ball. I'd say he'd only throw about 13 INT's max. Even with all the things that went horribly wrong last year, he still broke even and only threw 6 INT's in 10 games. If there is 1 thing Sam is the best in the NFL at, its not turning the ball over. If he can get his feet under him, and have some decent protection, Sam will re-gain his status as one of the BEST QB's in the NFL.

ALL we need to do is block for him. Our WR's will get open. Steve Smith and Amendola will most likely be the starters in a 2 WR set. They run solid routes and will get open, as long as the offensive line can hold up. We must use (and we will) a lot of 22 personnel. Kendricks is a SOLID blocker, and so is Matthew Mulligan. We must get TE's and HB's to chip in on DE's, because our strength is the interior of the line.

We can work around our weaknesses, and with a 17 year head coach in Jeff Fisher, I definitely think he can gravitate towards our strengths and cover-up our weaknesses.
    I agree with this 100%. He might over throw his receivers at times, but at least when he throws a bad pass he makes sure no one can get it.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -08-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I will be happy 4000 yards 30 TD 15 INT 60 PCT

After rewatching our first preseason game, the schotty dink n' dunk isnt near as bad as shumars.
    Considering we took three deep shots to Givens, I thought the offense was not at all dink and dunk. I really think the Rams want to put some good stuff on tape, that being Givens taking the top of the D. I hope Givens makes a couple of big plays in preseason to send the message.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-16-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd be happy with the yards and TD's, but like you said, Bradford is 100x more careful with the ball. I'd say he'd only throw about 13 INT's max. Even with all the things that went horribly wrong last year, he still broke even and only threw 6 INT's in 10 games. If there is 1 thing Sam is the best in the NFL at, its not turning the ball over.
    In terms of interceptions, I agree; his INT % is quite low as he doesn't seem to put the ball in very much risk when it's in the air. But I think he's fumbled a bit more than you'd like, which I'm sure in large part has to due to the pressure he's been under. Only five quarterbacks fumbled the ball more in 2011, and they spread theirs out over more games. As a rookie, his seven fumbles tied him for 12th most by quarterbacks in the league. So there's still some ball protection work to be done, though I'd bet it will improve on its own to some degree simply by improving his protection.

Getting back to the original question, I think it's a bit tricky to try and predetermine satisfaction level in a season based on only two hypothetical stats, but my guess is that 3,500 yards and 26 touchdowns would be a big step in the right direction. The completion percentage and interception percentage would be key components to consider as well, but I would think those numbers would represent a big bounce back for Sam after a dismal 2011 outing.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In terms of interceptions, I agree; his INT % is quite low as he doesn't seem to put the ball in very much risk when it's in the air. But I think he's fumbled a bit more than you'd like, which I'm sure in large part has to due to the pressure he's been under. Only five quarterbacks fumbled the ball more in 2011, and they spread theirs out over more games. As a rookie, his seven fumbles tied him for 12th most by quarterbacks in the league. So there's still some ball protection work to be done, though I'd bet it will improve on its own to some degree simply by improving his protection.

Getting back to the original question, I think it's a bit tricky to try and predetermine satisfaction level in a season based on only two hypothetical stats, but my guess is that 3,500 yards and 26 touchdowns would be a big step in the right direction. The completion percentage and interception percentage would be key components to consider as well, but I would think those numbers would represent a big bounce back for Sam after a dismal 2011 outing.
    Yeah he has definitely fumbled a little more than we'd like, but like you said, I think it falls more on the offensive line than it does on the QB. We need Saffold to properly protect Bradford's blindside; that will provide wonders for both his pocket presence, and protection of the ball.

At least the problems are sort-of-minor, and definitely fixable.

THE DREAM TEAM

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

3500 yards and 26 TD's....Fantasy player...I'm not happy.

3500 yards and 26 TD's that translate to RAMS winning more than losing...Ecstatic!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I agree with this, that it is "tricky". He can't perform in a vacuum. He will need to be protected, have targets that he can get the ball.

I think a better measurable, because he is not in a vacuum and playing in a scheme, is completion percentage and TD/INT ratio as the emphasis then yards.

I'd love 3500/26 if it came with a 62% completion rating and about 8 INTs.
    Rambos and Tampa_Ram like this.
    Semper Fi!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I voted that I'd be disappointed, because I feel that Sam is so much better than the Sanchez's of the world, or even Flacco for that matter. I feel like Sam is absolutely capable of 4000 yards. That said, I really wouldn't be that disappointed if we add another 2300 yards of rushing on top of that 3500 passing total. Shotty does want a run first offense, anyway.

Really what counts for me is whether Sam stays upright and if he can deliver touchdowns. For two years that has been his problem. He can drive to the red zone, but then he stumbles. Once he can put it in the endzone, regardless of the method, we'll start winning games and that's what matters more than stats.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    I believe!