Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    z.nrd Guest

Re: If we get Jekins for a 2nd who is our

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I don't see how Glover doesn't factor in for a lot of people. He still played relatively well last year. With a stronger supporting cast, my bet is that he'll excell despite his age.

Little
    Jenkins
    Glover
    Hall

Possible starter at the Right Defensive End would also be a DE, assuming we take one in the first round.
    I believe Linehan when he says that Glover should be limited to about 20 snaps. And that is also what I saw, too---he wore out in games, and wore out across the season.

So, if Wroten does not progress, that position is up in the air.

It might actually be a rotation of Glover/Wroten/Kennedy.

Kennedy isn't as bad at 3-T DT as he is at NT.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    I believe Linehan when he says that Glover should be limited to about 20 snaps.
    Was this a recent quote? I'll be the first to admit to not having read a number of articles, but I seem to recall an ESPN Insider tidbit back in January (I think it was actually from Pro Football Weekly through ESPN) that claimed that the Rams would like to reduce Glover's time on the field from 75% of the snaps to around 50-60%.

Regardless, someone is going to have to step up in order for Glover to step down from that starting spot, and I don't think we've seen anything from Wroten to suggest that switch is on the way any time soon. As for Kennedy, if they get Jenkins, are they really going to move the Big Bear back to UT after one year on the nose? Can they realistically expect him to turn into a performer on the field if they're switching his technique from year to year?

I'm tempted to think they might leave him on the nose for another season. Even if we acquire Jenkins, we don't have another nose to back him up unless we draft one (which we likely will), but Kennedy could certainly compete with that rookie to be the primary back-up at the position. You're probably not going to help Wroten's development much by moving Kennedy back to the three technique, since doing so would likely not result in an increase in time on the field for Claude.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Was this a recent quote? I'll be the first to admit to not having read a number of articles, but I seem to recall an ESPN Insider tidbit back in January (I think it was actually from Pro Football Weekly through ESPN) that claimed that the Rams would like to reduce Glover's time on the field from 75% of the snaps to around 50-60%.
    I got the number wrong. It's 25-30, not 20.

For some reason I don't know how to post links or cut-n-paste text here yet. But Linehan said this directly in his press conference for December 13th. He said at this point in his career Glover would be more effective if they limited him to 25-30 snaps, which was the original plan, he says.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    I got the number wrong. It's 25-30, not 20.

For some reason I don't know how to post links or cut-n-paste text here yet. But Linehan said this directly in his press conference for December 13th. He said at this point in his career Glover would be more effective if they limited him to 25-30 snaps, which was the original plan, he says.
    I Hadn't read this. But as Nick said, for him to lose his spot, someone has to take it. It's his to lose, atm, even with the reduced snaps.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't think we've seen anything from Wroten to suggest that switch is on the way any time soon.
    I have to disagree, Wroten did show some flashes, in his very limited time. We all know the story he could have gone much early in last years draft. I think he will get much more playing time this year. We will get a good look at him this year and see if he can produce.

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

To the untrained eye, the sudden and recurring appearance of defensive tackle Claude Wroten in the Indianapolis back field last week in the preseason opener was a sight to behold.

It has been a while since the Rams have been able to get any kind of consistent and powerful pass rush from a defensive tackle so Wroten’s persistent bursts through the line would seem to be a welcome addition.

While coach Scott Linehan was pleased to see Wroten’s enthusiasm and pass rushing moves on display, he didn’t give Wroten a complete stamp of approval for his work against the Colts.

“What Claude’s doing well is what he does well on film,” Linehan said. “He disrupts things, gets up field, and puts pressure on the QB. He has to continue to work his discipline, where he needs to be in his rush lanes, and if we’re running any kind of movement up front, how he needs to stay with it as opposed to peeking and seeing the action in the backfield. I think those are all things that he’s got to work on, but I think all of our younger players, primarily, are dealing with that. The big push for our young players this week, just like Claude, is to really improve on the discipline.”

It certainly isn’t a bad thing that Wroten has given the middle of the defensive line a boost in the pass rush. As it stands, it appears Wroten has the inside track to be in as a tackle in the nickel package and play predominantly on third downs.

But, both Wroten and the Rams have greater hopes for him than simply being a situational pass rusher.

“I think he’s very good on third down,” Linehan said. “He’s got to become a better run player. It’s not because he can’t play the run or his size or anything, it’s more he’s got to get rid of his tendency to peek in the backfield. He’s got to play the defense and play his run fit, so to speak, and not try to keep his eyes in the backfield and try to do anything but his job.”

In other words, Wroten can’t play every down like it’s third down.

“I was in pass rushing mode all the time, trying to make plays,” Wroten said. “I was too hyped so I was trying to do everything. I was trying to do a lot of things to prove to the coaches they made the choices. They said to calm down, play the game and you’ll be all right.”

There’s little doubt that Wroten has showed the potential to be a difference maker on defense as soon as this season. He has drawn praise from the coaching staff for his burst off the line and fairly polished pass rushing moves.

Wroten has also been no stranger to leaning on the counsel of veteran defensive tackle La’Roi Glover. From the day Wroten arrived in St. Louis for his first minicamp, Wroten said he would not hesitate to pick Glover’s brain.

“La’Roi teaches me a lot of good things,” Wroten said. “He teaches me pass rushing moves, learning techniques. He’s been a Pro Bowl player for over a decade so he’s a good guy to learn from.”

Wroten learned, perhaps his hardest lesson on the day of the NFL Draft. Wroten had established himself as one of the most talented tackles in the draft, what many thought would be a surefire first-rounder if his selection was based solely on ability.

At LSU, Wroten had been a dominant force in the middle of the defense. He was all Southeastern Conference in his two seasons there and accumulated 93 tackles, 12 sacks and 34 quarterback pressures.

After some off the field issues were resolved, Wroten tumbled in the draft. The first round went by then the second. Finally, with the 68th choice in the draft (the early part of the third round), the Rams pulled the trigger.

Wroten was happy to hear his name, the Rams were happy to get a first-round talent in the third. Now, Wroten is doing everything he can to prove his critics wrong.

“I’m very much motivated by that,” Wroten said. “I should have been a first-round draft pick but I wasn’t for a reason. That is totally behind me. I am moving on and I am motivated by the situation and ready to prove to guys that they passed on a good guy in the draft.”

It was evident that those teams did pass on a good player in the preseason opener against Indianapolis. Despite his tendency to not hold his block and peek into the back field, Wroten thoroughly dominated just about every offensive lineman placed in his way.

As is often the case for a defensive tackle, that performance didn’t necessarily show up in the box score as Wroten wasn’t credited with any tackles or sacks, but he was extremely disruptive in his first professional game. Now, he is saddled with the task of harnessing his ability for the good of the defense.

“I was trying to make plays I wasn’t supposed to make,” Wroten said. “I was trying to be an athlete and do things I did in college. Here, it’s a system based type of team, you have to fit where you’re supposed to fit and the guys behind you have to make plays. Just do your job first and everything will work out. I was just trying to do too much and not do my job and I was out of my gaps and things like that.”

There is plenty of time left for Wroten to improve his standing on the depth chart between now and the start of the season, but it has become clear that he will be used with regularity. As long as he is backing up Glover, he will be learning new things that will help him improve his total game, not just his pass rushing.

One area Wroten hasn’t struggled with is his ability to adjust to the heat and humidity of St. Louis. Wroten is from Louisiana, one of a few places that can provide a similar test to the body during the summer months.

“It’s over 100 degrees down in the Bayou but it’s the same way here,” Wroten said. “It’s a job; you have to be professional at all times.”

Even if it means tying up a block so someone else can make the play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12