Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: If we lose Brian Schottenheimer, who should we hire as an OC?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If we lose Brian Schottenheimer, who should we hire as an OC?

The likelihood that 4 or 5 head coaches will be fired at the end of the season will create multiple NFL HC job openings.

Possible firings in no particular order:

Rex Ryan
    Norv Turner
    Pat Shurmur
    Andy Reid
    Romeo Crennel

It is well within the realm of possibility that Schotty could be offered an HC gig. If Brian leaves, Sam will face the prospect of learning yet another offense with a new OC. Would anyone welcome back Pat Shurmur? Obviously I have no idea what Fish and Les think of Shurmur, but it is within the realm of possibility should Pat be shown the door in Cleveland. At least Sam would know the offense ..

Who else out there would make a good candidate for the Rams' OC? Thoughts?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: If we lose Brian Schottenheimer, who should we hire as an OC?

We wont hire anyone. Fisher has already said (multiple times) the Qb coach will take over (Cignetti, i think is his name). He is an ex OC, and knows the system. Fisher also said the play book will be the SAME. QUESTion is who will be hired to be the next qb coach.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Kurt Warner
    laram0 likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Fisher also said the play book will be the SAME.
    Sometimes I like that playbook sometimes I don't.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Sometimes I like that playbook sometimes I don't.
    I think it has more to do with the play calling then the playbook
    Truth and LA Rammer like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Norv Turner. He comes from the same passing attack as Schotty, and has very similar verbiage, thus decreasing the amount that Bradford will have to transition too. Plus, Turner has done excellent in developing QB's in his career. Not to mention he is terrific at attacking seams and creating plays that entertain deep gains.

I'd be for Norv Turner 100% if some team was stupid enough to hire Schotty as an HC.
    laram0 and PARamfan like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Norv Turner, although I have my doubts of him being another dud that'll stun Bradford's development the same way McDaniels did. Other than him, I want Cignetti calling the shots at OC.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    The likelihood that 4 or 5 head coaches will be fired at the end of the season will create multiple NFL HC job openings.

Possible firings in no particular order:

Rex Ryan
    Norv Turner
    Pat Shurmur
    Andy Reid
    Romeo Crennel

It is well within the realm of possibility that Schotty could be offered an HC gig. If Brian leaves, Sam will face the prospect of learning yet another offense with a new OC. Would anyone welcome back Pat Shurmur? Obviously I have no idea what Fish and Les think of Shurmur, but it is within the realm of possibility should Pat be shown the door in Cleveland. At least Sam would know the offense ..

Who else out there would make a good candidate for the Rams' OC? Thoughts?
    Given the performance of our offense this year, I have a hard time fathoming any team willing to hire Brian Schottenheimer as a HC. Of the coaches you list Rex Ryan and Romeo Crennel are defensive coaches, so they are not OC candidates. IF and that's a big if, we go with another OC, I would welcome back Pat Schurmer as he was good for Sam in his first year or Norv Turner who was our OC back in LA many, many moons ago. I agree that we might benefit from a different OC, but the main issue as always is TALENT on the offense. Until we solve that, particularly on the O-Line, no coach will be successful here. I do enjoy this thread because I've had these thoughts myself throughout this season.

Go Rams!

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Given the performance of our offense this year, I have a hard time fathoming any team willing to hire Brian Schottenheimer as a HC. Of the coaches you list Rex Ryan and Romeo Crennel are defensive coaches, so they are not OC candidates. IF and that's a big if, we go with another OC, I would welcome back Pat Schurmer as he was good for Sam in his first year or Norv Turner who was our OC back in LA many, many moons ago. I agree that we might benefit from a different OC, but the main issue as always is TALENT on the offense. Until we solve that, particularly on the O-Line, no coach will be successful here. I do enjoy this thread because I've had these thoughts myself throughout this season.

Go Rams!
    We are scoring more points now than we did with shurmer (i believe). All we did with Shumer is dink and dunk, we might have had 10 deep balls thrown all season that year (atleast that what it seems like). I vote NO, for Shurmer! Why would anyone want to go 60min, 16 games, with 4yd passes?

And who what have thought Shurmer woould have got a HC job after 2010?
    Last edited by Fastcat; -12-18-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We are scoring more points now than we did with shurmer (i believe). All we did with Shumer is dink and dunk, we might have had 10 deep balls thrown all season that year (atleast that what it seems like). I vote NO, for Shurmer! Why would anyone want to go 60min, 16 games, with 4yd passes?

And who what have thought Shurmer woould have got a HC job after 2010?
    All good points Fastcat. I would say that Shurmer's offense was largely based on having a rookie QB with less than outstanding WR's. I think if you look at Cleveland's offense they play a better style than simply dink and dunk and they have Trent Richardson to offset with a running game. I see nothing wrong with dink and dunk ( aka West Coast offense) if you have a solid running game, look at the 49'ers with Alex Smith. They were a few plays away from the Super Bowl. Having said all this, I don't think Shurmer is coming to St. Louis anytime soon.

Something that we have to consider if there is a change at coordinators, it may be on the defensive side as Gregg Williams return to the NFL is no guarantee next year. In that case Romeo Crennel would be a solid choice, but I'm sure Jeff Fisher has his own preferences if a move needs to be made there.

All told, it promises to be a very interesting off-season for the Rams. Between FA and the draft, plus resigning some our current players there will be a full "to do" list for the front office.

Go Rams!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I dont want Shurmur back watching that offense was like watching paint dry

If Fish doesnt want Bradford to learn a new offense i think Norv Turner is the way to go but if we are going to change the offense once again I wanted Hue Jackson over Shottenhiemer the has done some positive work in the NFL

citr92 is offline Registered User

i don't want rex ryan anywhere near this team
    fearsome foursome likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Go Rams!
    By listing the coaches most likely to be fired, I was attempting to point out there may be as many as 5 head coaching opportunities up for grabs. Thus there is a possibility Schotty might get his chance. I wasn't suggesting all 5 coaches I listed as OC candidates for the Rams. Either Norv Turner or Shurmur would be ok with me if Schotty were to accept a head coaching position. I don't know much about Cignetti, but if that's who Jeff wants, then fine.

For the record, I believe Shurmur did ok with the talent (or lack of it) available when he was the Rams' OC in St. Louis. It isn't as if Josh McDaniels lit things up when he replaced Shurmur. Not to sugarcoat it, but our offensive roster wasn't exactly overflowing with talent during either one of those guys tenures here. Shurmur kept Sam alive in his rookie year and helped us win some games. Josh - not so much ..

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i don't want rex ryan anywhere near this team
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over the thought of Rex being added to the Rams coaching staff. I mentioned his name as a candidate to be "fired" - not "hired."

We wont hire anyone. Fisher has already said (multiple times) the Qb coach will take over (Cignetti, i think is his name). He is an ex OC, and knows the system. Fisher also said the play book will be the SAME. QUESTion is who will be hired to be the next qb coach.
    If Schotty stays in St Louis, you are most likely correct:

Bernie Bytes: Could Brian Schottenheimer be on his way to head coach ranks?

By Bernie Miklasz

Interesting dish from Gus Johnson during the FOX broadcast of the Vikings-Rams game. Johnson, citing multiple NFL sources, expressed the opinion that Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is thought to be a strong head-coaching candidate. Meaning that this could be Schottenheimer’s one and only year in St. Louis.

My reaction: I’m not disputing Johnson’s information, but I’d be surprised to see Schottenheimer land a head-coaching gig for 2013.

I think he’s a good coach. He obviously has the coaching bloodlines. He’s intelligent. I think he’s done a solid job with the Rams offense in a transition year. And there is no question – by any objective, reasonable and statistical measure – that quarterback Sam Bradford has improved while working with Schottenheimer.

That said, the Rams are ranked 27th among 32 teams with a scoring average of 18.4 points per game. They’re 29th in touchdowns from scrimmage (23.) They’re 22nd in yards from scrimmage. Those numbers don’t figure to catapult an OC into a head-coaching position.

(Then again: Rams OC Pat Shurmur got the Cleveland HC job after 2010; that season the Rams were ranked 26th in scoring average (18.1 points) and 27th in touchdowns from scrimmage (27.)

Moreover, Schottenheimer was basically run out of New York after a six-season term as the Jets’ offensive coordinator.

(Then again: if you have watched the Jets much this season, I think you can conclude that Schottenheimer wasn’t the problem. And the play of QB Mark Sanchez dramatically deteriorated after Schottenheimer’s departure.)

And think about this…

The Rams should be much better on offense in 2013 for several reasons:

(A) Bradford will be in the same offense for two years in a row for the first time in his career. The familiarity and continuity will be a tremendous benefit for a young quarterback that’s had to learn three different offenses under three offensive coordinators in his three NFL seasons.

(B) The Rams figure to make more upgrades on offense during the offseason.

(C) I’m assuming that GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher will, for example, locate a more appealing alternative at right offensive tackle. This year’s RT, Barry Richardson, has actually played better for the Rams than he did for the KC Chiefs. He’s not as much of a liability as I feared he’d be. But Richardson has allowed 7 sacks, 10 hits and 23 hurries. And according to Pro Football Focus, only eight NFL quarterbacks have been under more pass-rush pressure than Bradford this season. The Rams’ pass protection has improved overall this season, and should improve again in 2013.

(D) Young receivers Chris Givens and Brian Quick will be in their second seasons and more advanced in their experience and knowledge. Givens has been a nice addition, bringing a downfield dimension to the offense. He’s inconsistent, which is often the case with rookie wideouts. He should be more consistent in ’13. As for Quick, the Rams will take extra measures to help him learn the offense. He is raw, but extremely talented. I think the kid has an exciting future.

(E) Tight end Lance Kendricks will likely be more of a factor in the passing game in 2013. He’s a terrific blocker. His receiving skills are improving. The Rams haven’t thrown to the tight end much in 2012; only Jacksonville has attempted a lower percentage of passes to the TE. Kendricks has the all-around package that should make him a viable option in the passing attack.

If Schottenheimer stays, and the Rams have a breakout season in 2013, his stock will rise, and he could emerge as a hot head-coaching candidate. If Schottenheimer invests another year in this job, I believe it will pay off for him _ especially if the Rams can become a winning team, a playoff team, in 2013. I’m not saying the 2013 Rams will make the playoffs, but they’ll have a chance. Their 6-7-1 record through 14 games represents a good jump forward from the 2-14 debacle of 2011.

OK, so what happens if Schottenheimer leaves?

This wouldn’t be good for Bradford or the young receivers. If Fisher brings in a new OC from the outside, Bradford would have to learn a fourth offense under a fourth coordinator … that isn’t healthy for any quarterback’s development. It’s ridiculous, really. The bizarre Bradford haters won’t recognize this as a factor; according to these loons Bradford is Akili Smith. But having to learn four offenses under four coordinators in four seasons _ that’s insane. Quick and Givens would have to start from scratch. Not good, not good at all.

If Schottenheimer goes, I like the idea proposed by 101 ESPN football analyst Tony Softli: promote from within, and elevate quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti to the OC position. Cignetti is a respected figure around Rams Park. He’s done fine work with Bradford, and has developed a terrific relationship with Bradford. Cignetti has credentials to do the job. And most of all, he would ensure stability and continuity for Bradford and the team’s young offensive core. That’s an essential consideration.

That’s all for today … thanks for reading.

-Bernie

citr92 is offline Registered User

makes sense to me and i like it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast