Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If we're going to act like a business, we'd better get down to business and sign FAs!

The sentimentality of fans (including myself) aside, the Rams are approaching this offseason in a businesslike manner by cutting older players (Bruce, Frerotte... is Hall next?) and restructuring others (Little) to clear cap space.

That's all well and good, if the business goal they are seeking to achieve is on the field success. If they use this cap space to go after some top-quality talent in (somewhat thin) FA market, then I will accept it (even if I hate the notion that Isaac Bruce's illustrious career as a Ram will end this way). If the cap space is used to lock up Steven Jackson and O.J. Atogwe long term, I'll understand the logic.

But if this is just saving money for its own sake, then this Front Office, which is already on shakey ground in my book, will have lost me completely.

Even more than I want Isaac Bruce on this team.... I want to see the Rams build a roster that can contend year after year. If that is the purpose being served by these moves, so be it.

If not...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: If we're going to act like a business, we'd better get down to business and sign

I dunno what it'll be. I feel bad because a veteran with a great career wont finish his career here. It's terrible.

But it's business. Since we did cut him...we save money. Hit the free agency, but the BEST receiver available, and build from there. We need it.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Re: If we're going to act like a business, we'd better get down to business and sign

Lets hold off on the FA signings. Thats what got us into this mess to begin with.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Bernard Berrian should be on speed dial at the moment.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great thought Av, but i will NEVER buy into the idea that the amount of money we saved in cutting bruce (based on whatever the spread on the bid ask is) is going to make the difference in how this team performs over the next several years, let alone this year. Its a 118 million salary cap. We are talking about a bid ask that has to be around 3% at most of the total cap and possibly even less than that. Cut james hall etc, there are plenty of ways to cut to the bone to afford a guy like fanceca if thats what we are trying to do, it didnt have to come at the expense of bruce.

To me, he can still play at a high level, i am not ranting purely on the basis of sentiment, history or doing the right thing. When he catches 70 plus balls for the whiners with martz, he will be laughing his butt off.

Lets deal with reality. Does anyone truly believe that we are a couple of million or even a few million cap dollars away from winning a title in 2008?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Great thought Av, but i will NEVER buy into the idea that the amount of money we saved in cutting bruce (based on whatever the spread on the bid ask is) is going to make the difference in how this team performs over the next several years, let alone this year. Its a 118 million salary cap. We are talking about a bid ask that has to be around 3% at most of the total cap and possibly even less than that. Cut james hall etc, there are plenty of ways to cut to the bone to afford a guy like fanceca if thats what we are trying to do, it didnt have to come at the expense of bruce.

To me, he can still play at a high level, i am not ranting purely on the basis of sentiment, history or doing the right thing. When he catches 70 plus balls for the whiners with martz, he will be laughing his butt off.

Lets deal with reality. Does anyone truly believe that we are a couple of million or even a few million cap dollars away from winning a title in 2008?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I wanted to see Bruce in Arizona when the Rams came to town...but in Blue and Gold, not Red and white. :x

I honestly think he's still a great player. Yes, its business...But we couldve EASILY reconstructed Bennett's contract to be less than Bruce.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

If I'm not mistaken, a few years ago, Bruce was on the market for a few days but we still eventually got him back...What makes you all think that can't happen again? Why not?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramer is offline Registered User

AvengerRam you said it perfect, great post. Even thought I will miss Bruce, as will all true Rams fans, if he was cut for the right reasons, I'm all for it. Go RAMS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, a few years ago, Bruce was on the market for a few days but we still eventually got him back...What makes you all think that can't happen again? Why not?
    Because Martz is in San Fran.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

because i have this feeling that it just will not work out like things are suppose to for our beloved reverend.... ISAAC BRUCE WILL BE A NINER NEXT YEAR MARK MY WORDS

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    It could happen, but if the team is determined to get younger and faster at the position, it might not be an option for them.

Rambos is online now Registered User

AV I agree, I feel the Rams are going to get some much needed speed at WR. I hope they do it with a vet WR like Berrian and add a high draft pick 2nd and or 3rd round.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I can't believe we did this over 5 million and I don't blame Bruce for not taking a pay cut. We already cut him 2 years ago and signed him at a reduced rate for 3 years, if we can't honor that original 3 year reduced deal then in his mind it's finished.

What really makes me mad about this is that for the last couple of years when we get in trouble with the cap we go to Bruce to clear up space. All he is is a HOF receiver who always performs but yet we run to him and demand he take a pay cut. Cut James Hall, Dante Hall, and Byrd. Those are the types who should go to for cap space, not Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    I can't believe we did this over 5 million and I don't blame Bruce for not taking a pay cut. We already cut him 2 years ago and signed him at a reduced rate for 3 years, if we can't honor that original 3 year reduced deal then in his mind it's finished.

What really makes me mad about this is that for the last couple of years when we get in trouble with the cap we go to Bruce to clear up space. All he is is a HOF receiver who always performs but yet we run to him and demand he take a pay cut. Cut James Hall, Dante Hall, and Byrd. Those are the types who should go to for cap space, not Bruce.
    EXACTLY! I dont think the front office sees the future HoF player in him...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

If not...

We chant "Fire Ziggy" when Ike is introduce in the EJD as one of the ***** starting wideouts this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-28-2008, 09:54 PM