Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: If you had 1 sentence to critique the Rams' first two weeks...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you had 1 sentence to critique the Rams' first two weeks...

... would you focus that sentence on Sam Bradford?

I ask this question because it seems like for a few people around here, the answer is yes.

I don't get the logic. Sam has put up very good numbers (93.1 passer rating, 325.5 ypg, 5 TDs, 2 ints.) without the benefit of an effective running game.

There are things to be concerned about, no doubt. The aforementioned running game. Pass coverage. Penalties.

I, for one, have my concerns... but I'm encouraged overall. There are things that need to be cleaned up. There are players who should be playing better (Cortland Finnegan - I'm talking to you!). But there is hope. And Sam Bradford is one of the reasons I'm hopeful.

P.S. I hope the trolls enjoyed that meal because I'm going to make an effort to cease feeding you in the future.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: If you had 1 sentence to critique the Rams' first two weeks...

But there is hope. And Sam Bradford is one of the reasons I'm hopeful.
    Totally agree!

My simple sentence: "We ARE learning from our mistakes, young / veteran players, coaches too."

shower beers is offline Registered User

I would only need one word, really. Penalties.

Sam Bradford shouldn't be expected to drive the team 90+ yards on every possession. Nobody should be expected to do that.

punahou is offline Registered User

Im not sure it's the penalties themselves, as other teams in our division have just as many if not more penalties. If penalties are are teh culprit, then Im thinking its the TIMING of the penalty.

Otherwise, I feel its more the gameplan at the begininng of the game. IMO the offense is too conservative.
    It seems the only time that the gates are opened is when we are already behind the 8 ball. Id like to see the gates opened from the get go.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What's up with our defense?

Rambos is offline Registered User

With a quick visit to NFL.com it's easy to see that the Rams passing offense is the fourth best in the NFL yards per game.

1. New York Giants 390.5
    2. Green Bay Packers 381.5
    3. Denver Broncos 376.0
    4. St. Louis Rams 325.5

One foot note here Eli has thrown 7 INT and is 0-2. Look at the company the Rams are keeping here.

That said I will go Defense. Our defense was going to keep us in games while we wait for our young skill guys to gel. We are 6th against the run BUT 27th against the pass. I think the Rams think they can dominate the game up front and be successful. Well they are winning the battle up front but are getting torched in the secondary.

Total defense yards per game we are 24th! Total points we are near the bottom of the league, we are giving up 20.5 points per game. That said we did play two pretty good QBs but we have to get better on the defense.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Curly Horns likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Im not sure it's the penalties themselves, as other teams in our division have just as many if not more penalties. If penalties are are teh culprit, then Im thinking its the TIMING of the penalty.

Otherwise, I feel its more the gameplan at the begininng of the game. IMO the offense is too conservative.
    It seems the only time that the gates are opened is when we are already behind the 8 ball. Id like to see the gates opened from the get go.
    I don't think it's enough to just count the number of penalties, but the context that it left our team in.

Yesterday, there were 4(!) special teams penalties from punts that put our offense at the 13, 5, 11 and 8 yard lines to start their possessions. Atlanta was then able to smother our attempts to dig out of those large holes, effectively rendering 4 possessions useless. We can't expect our offense to be successful starting at those positions on the field. Any team would have trouble with those starting positions.
    MauiRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

Jenkins doesn't belong in the league.

no troll here. and probably a bit of an overstatement but.........It's just what comes to mind watching the first 2 games and preseason so far.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    My biggest worry is penalties. We had a bunch of stupid penalties in our opener, and barely managed to overcome them - AT HOME! On the road, in Atlanta, the outcome could be a lot different if we continue to display a lack of discipline. Hopefully Fish can get through somehow to our players both young and old (Finnegan!), and eliminate the dead ball fouls at the very least. We will see.. It is too early for a prediction from me - this game should be very revealing - as should the next one against the Cowgirls.
    Penalties!! There were other factors that contributed to our loss, but it is obvious that this young team cannot afford to commit stupid penalties and hope to win on the road against good teams.

Bradford was impressive and gives the entire team and us fans reason to hope!

Jello isn't intended to be eaten immediately after the ingredients are mixed and poured. Like it or not, one must wait for them to jell first.
    Rambos and r8rh8rmike like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

"Our pass defense is quite offensive"
    Curly Horns likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Several one liners that fit:

We are a young team and it will take time for them to gel and get up to NFL speed. - I think this is the biggest reason and closest to the truth.

Our defense cannot stop a pass over the middle. - We seem to cover the out routes ok, but if I am an OC planning to play the Rams, I am send a receiver across the middle on every play as he will probably be wide open.

What is with all the tipped balls? - Tipped at the line, tipped by our receivers...

Stupid penalties at stupid times are killing us. - <sigh> I would blame it on youth, but some (maybe more) are being called on our so called "vets".

Do you realize, take away two plays yesterday and we most likely win that game? I think it was Atlanta's first drive. We have them stopped and they are going to have to punt. Woops, stupid penalty on C. Long gives them the first down and they march down the field for a TD. Then, in the second quarter, Sam throws a perfect pass to Richardson in the flat. Boink! Bounces off his hands / chest into Osi arms and returned for a TD.

Those two plays, that might have taken 30 seconds, were the difference between winning by 7 or losing by 7...
    Curly Horns and live4ramin like this.
    This space for rent...

general counsel is offline Registered User

The Rams have shown some promising things over the first two weeks, but we are going to need to play better and cut down materially on the self inflicted wounds if we intend to have a winning record this year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

As laram0 said, what's up with the defense? How do we let Atl. march 80 yards downfield in the closing minutes of the game to score? We had a good pass rush in week 1, but as much as we pressured Ryan, we should have forced errant passes or gotten interceptions. Atlanta's o-line isn't great and we better crank it up in Dallas as their line isn't much better. The pass defense has been spoken about extensively, but that needs to get better too and it will if the d-line gets the pressure on the QB.

Go Rams!
    Curly Horns likes this.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Head Slap View Post
    Jenkins doesn't belong in the league.

no troll here. and probably a bit of an overstatement but.........It's just what comes to mind watching the first 2 games and preseason so far.
    Can't agree with you there HS. To me Jenkins is already our best corner and will continue to improve. After the first two games and preseason there IS a corner who needs to pick it up, but his name ain't Jenkins. If he doesn't then he will be an easy cap saving next year and I'm already thinking that a high draft pick may be used in that area.
    JJ hasn't been perfect by any means but he is far from being the main problem.
    RealRam likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I want consistent execution (domination)--like what we saw in the majority of the fourth quarter--for 60 minutes, without bone headed penalties, less drops, and more turnovers on Defense.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast