Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you have to break the bank, SJ's the guy to do it for.

There are no two ways about it. If you want Steven Jackson to remain a Ram for the next 4-5 years, when he'll be in the prime of his career, you have to pay. Sure, he's missed some time to injuries, and sure, the money players receive today (particulary RBs who can be injured and done at any time) is absurd, but that's the way the system works.

So, if you have to pay one guy a huge chunk of change, SJ is a good choice. Why?

Right now, he' the Rams' best player. I doubt any person in the Rams' locker room would disagree.

Right now, he's in the top 5 at his position in the league. If he were to have a full season in which he and his O line is healthy, he could emerge as the league's best.

He just turned 25. His best years are ahead of him. This is not a Shaun Alexander situation, in which a near-30 year old RB is looking for a multi-million dollar "thank you" for past performance. Rather, SJ is in his prime.

So, bite the bullet, work out the details, and pay the man. Could we regret it later? Sure. But if we lose him, we'll regret it far more.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-26-2008 at 04:31 PM.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: If you have to break the bank, SJ's the guy to do it for.

Of course. He is an all purpose back who can run over the secondary, blow by the Linebackers, and catch the ball out of the backfield. He is young player, and stays out of trouble. Ill take that anyday.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Agreed, git r done Jay boy!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Im sure they'll get a deal done but c'mon, he's got one more year in his contract and the right thing is to get into camp and be with the team. let the organization and his agent work things out. Please, there's no way the team forgot about this guy, but they did have other obligations not too long ago like signing our rookies. Isnt that like common sense? sign the rookies, then deal w/ your vets who are still under contract?

45superman is offline Registered User

As I see it, now that the Rams have drawn the "No more negotiations until Jackson comes to camp" line in the sand, they have no choice but to stick to their guns on that. If they back down this time, their ability to negotiate any contracts from now on is over.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I agree that the Rams need to get this guy signed, long term.

....but I also agree that I would take the same position that the "company" has taken. "Steven, get your butt into camp (under your current contract) and we'll talk. " He has a contract, he should honor it. He needs to secure his future, I understand that, but he needs to be in camp. Personally, I do not like the approach most of these guys take. Holding out while under contract doesn't sit well with me.

Steven Jackson can be a great player. But he has yet to PROVE that he IS one. IMHO. Until Mr. Jackson plays more than one season w/o suffering some sort of injury that sidelines him for a substantial amount of time, he's just a guy with great potential, and that's all. He needs to realize that and get into camp.

The Rams appear to have drawn the line in the sand, and this may get ugly. 2008 is already shaping up to be another major disappointment. So sad.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I agree that the Rams need to get this guy signed, long term.

....but I also agree that I would take the same position that the "company" has taken. "Steven, get your butt into camp (under your current contract) and we'll talk. " He has a contract, he should honor it. He needs to secure his future, I understand that, but he needs to be in camp. Personally, I do not like the approach most of these guys take. Holding out while under contract doesn't sit well with me.

Steven Jackson can be a great player. But he has yet to PROVE that he IS one. IMHO. Until Mr. Jackson plays more than one season w/o suffering some sort of injury that sidelines him for a substantial amount of time, he's just a guy with great potential, and that's all. He needs to realize that and get into camp.

The Rams appear to have drawn the line in the sand, and this may get ugly. 2008 is already shaping up to be another major disappointment. So sad.

Ruh Roh... if you were to insert Marc Bulger there it would set off another extended thread on the pluses and minuses, perceptions and misconceptions, potential and accomplishments of Marc, or just about any player one might want to discuss.

This time it happens to be Steven Jackson's turn. Hold onto the gunwales boys, it might be a bumpy ride!
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -07-26-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: content
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Av, I couldn't agree more. SJ is worth his weight in gold, especially for a team like the Rams.

I've been thinking about how I personally would set up a contract for him. It's obvious that he wants to make sure he has a job and a paycheck for a long time, so after looking at how well some of the other RB's in the league are getting paid, I'd offer him this:

1. Eight years, $62 million. I believe that's better than Tomlinson is getting. However, since Tomlinson's contract was done in 2004 or 2005, I'm sure SJ believes the market value has changed, so...

2. Incentives. SJ would get 7.75 million a year (on average), but if that wasn't enough, we make it where he gets an incentive bonus for reaching "X" number of yards per year, or a YPC average of 5.0 for all 16 games.

3. Better incentives. A bonus for each TD.

4. Even better incentives. A bonus for each TD in the post season.

5. Of course, as he gets a little older, he'll slow down. We'll 'front load' the contract, but should he still be a top notch RB as he nears the end of the contract, and the numbers support this, he will get paid what he is worth.

6. Linehan's wife and children will change their names to "Steven Jackson Linehan", similar to what the Foreman family endures.

7. One game each season will be billed as "The Steven Jackson Show, starring the St. Louis Rams".

It might work.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Sam, I can appreciate the incentive program but then it has the potential in and of itself to create issues?

Sure, we could've scored more points and won more games, but there wasn't enough money in the budget to give me the ball..... you get what you pay for!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He just turned 25. His best years are ahead of him.
    Are they? I'm not so sure. I can see him maintaining for a couple years for sure.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

SJ has proven he's worth his weight, name 3 backs who are unquestionably better, you can't with out some sort of argument as to why he might be better. Marshall Faulk was a good back before he came to St Lou. He became a great back when he came to St Lou. I think any body in here would say that SJ is a better back at this point in career than Marshall was.

It's gone come together this year for SJ, he knows how to be patient, and run between tackles. He can cut to the outside, or run up the gut effectively. And when he gets in the open field he's virtually unstoppable. He's a smart player, can catch out the backfield. He's also a good blocker. Zyggy is making a big mistake, Why? Because you don't wanna loose a back like SJ, and not have someone to replace him. Stevie Wonder Jackson is gonna get his money one way or another, it's still determined from what team he gets that money from. If the Rams are not careful he could pull a Boldin and say ok I'll show up, and I'm gone after next year. I know what you're thinking they'll trade him. Not if he keeps his mouth shut, and just waits it out until after the season. Listen the Rams are in no position to play hardball, they are just coming off a 3-13 season. And there's no promise we'll do substantially better this year.

The FO needs to bite the bullet take a chill pill, calm down, and get this deal done. The longer they wait the longer it hurts the team, because SJ in not in uniform getting the reps he needs in the new system.

So if the FO wants to bite of the nose to spite the face, then be my guess, but it's gonna be one tasteless, and smell less journey.

NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

My concern about a lomg term deal the the inability of SJ to play in 16 games, he seems to get nicked up quite a bit and even durimg games, he seems to take himself out after a 10 or more yard run or pass reception.

I think they may be stuck because of where the franchise is at but other than that 1 great year SJ has been an average NFL back for games played, yards gained and YPC

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyRam View Post
    My concern about a lomg term deal the the inability of SJ to play in 16 games, he seems to get nicked up quite a bit and even durimg games, he seems to take himself out after a 10 or more yard run or pass reception.

I think they may be stuck because of where the franchise is at but other than that 1 great year SJ has been an average NFL back for games played, yards gained and YPC
    I got an idea let's just let average Jackson go it worked out great when we released average Bettis too remember.
    Just Fix It

NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

I like SJ but you do see any other above average seasons other tahn 2006?

Is he worth it, I dont care give him the money its not mine but just keep the expcactiatons in check, even if he gets LT money it does not make him LT

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I got an idea let's just let average Jackson go it worked out great when we released average Bettis too remember.

Well we did win the SB not too many years after he left,just saying.....

i am actually fully intrenched in the "give him the money" camp!

im not sure exactly how much input AL had over the upsurge in fortunes of Priest Holmes & then LJ but its worth noting that they were no way near as good as Jax is when AL first got his hands on them!

food for thought...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast