• Jon Gruden

20 30.77%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: If it was your choice

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: If it was your choice

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    The Raiders' self-inflicted wounds contributed some to the length of the drought, but that doesn't change the greater issue of how Gruden did not leave any young players ready to step up when Oakland's old players faltered. Ownership alone can't assemble a decade-long playoff drought and a 4-12 season following a Super Bowl trip.
    1) Why would he leave young players ready to step up if he was leaving? Besides, he obviously left a Superbowl caliber team there when he left. What more could you ask for and expect to get?

and 2) You obviously didn't know AL Davis's influence.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    1) Why would he leave young players ready to step up if he was leaving? Besides, he obviously left a Superbowl caliber team there when he left. What more could you ask for and expect to get?
    Presumably, you want to be coaching as long as possible. In order to do that, you need to keep winning. And the best way to keep winning is to continually develop young talent. When the team you left kicks off a decade long sojourn off the cliff within two years of your departure, it tends to indicate that you kind of sucked at building a team that could sustain success long term. And in case you are wondering, that should be the expectation more than a flash in the pan Super Bowl trip.

Davis doesn't train the young players. The coaches do. Or didn't, as in Gruden's case.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Presumably, you want to be coaching as long as possible. In order to do that, you need to keep winning. And the best way to keep winning is to continually develop young talent. When the team you left kicks off a decade long sojourn off the cliff within two years of your departure, it tends to indicate that you kind of sucked at building a team that could sustain success long term. And in case you are wondering, that should be the expectation more than a flash in the pan Super Bowl trip.

Davis doesn't train the young players. The coaches do. Or didn't, as in Gruden's case.
    Just trying to gather as much from your opinion and other's as I can, bro. Don't really know much about Gruden, outside of the superbowl win.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

Firstly, Gruden didn't know before the offseason that he was leaving, so as Peoria said, if he was planning on coaching for long, he should have been develping lasting talent for the Raiders. Emphasis on should have been. The Bucs wanted to get a splashy hire and asked his Davis would release him from his contract after failing to get Parcells. Davis declined, and then they set up the blockbuster trade of 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and cash. Gruden also trends towards a short passing game as oppsed to a vertical one that the late Davis loved, so it was kind of a win-win for him.

As for Davis' impact, yes, he definitely had an effect on the talent that was brought in, but with the extra high draft picks, just about anyone should have been able to keep up at least a semblance of competitivity.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I picked Fisher. Ive liked Jeff Fisher since the Rams beat him in the SuperBowl. But can he get as much out of Bradford than Gruden can.? I very much doubt it. I usually prefer offensive minded over defensive, but in this case, I like Jeff Fishers all round ability more.
    Im not getting my hopes up too high just yet though. Because it does worry me, that neither will come to the Rams, to be honest.? So its fingers crossed for me.
    What I don't agree with here, is the way people are ripping them, before they have even got the job.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-29-2011 at 12:13 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

I chose Fish, wouldn't mind Chucky either. We couldn't throw Cowher in the mix, uh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mh-i is offline Registered User

Ownership alone can't assemble a decade-long playoff drought and a 4-12 season following a Super Bowl trip.
    Al Davis had the last word on everything. They stayed bad for more than the one year after the SB. In fact this season is their first decent season since then.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I went with neither. Keep Spags!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I find in conversations and interviews I have seen of both, Jeff Fisher is more intelligent and mature. I also felt he should have been given more opportunities when he was our assistant coach. He is also a player under John Robinson at USC. He has a link to our past and to me that is very important.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    How come you still have faith in Spags, going forward.??

mh-i is offline Registered User

No way you can keep one of the 10 all time losing coaches ever.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

i voted Jon Gruden...Jeff Fisher is nice but i want to make sure we get an offensive mind so i can celebrate TDs during games...i would also like to 3rd down conversions and not have to root for the Defense the entire game

Going Offense unless u tell who will be Fisher's OC

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Jeff Fisher, not even a close contest. Jon Gruden is an immature tool who'll verbally demoralize our players while aging our roster faster than cigarettes. The Rams are a youth movement team, we don't need lots of 30+ veterans running this show.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    How come you still have faith in Spags, going forward.??
    He only has 1 more year on his contract. If i were Kroenke i would let him know if he doesnt show something next year, then he blows it up. Everyone around here is talking about keeping Bradford in the same system, does it not make sense to keep Spags and McD, have a full off season, another draft, fa pick ups and see what happens.

If we bring in a new coach we still dont know what will happen, good or bad....

New coach, new offense, new defense, probably a lot of new players..
    Keep Spags, same offense, same defense, improve talent pool, see what happens....

We've been bad for a long time, another year isnt going to change that!

I personally find it insane that people want McD out, after his first season, having no off-season in which to get things together....c'mon man.....

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I personally find it insane that people want McD out, after his first season, having no off-season in which to get things together....c'mon man.....
    Insane is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

McD absolutely refused to call plays that worked with the talent (or lack there of) that we have on this team. If he called the same type of offense with Bradford that he called with Clemens, Bradford probably wouldn't be injured, and we may have won a few more games. McD was a failed experiment. If we were to keep Spags, and I am not sure he should go, we need to get rid of McD.

gap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast