Thread: From IGN.com...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

From IGN.com...

1. St. Louis Rams: It's been a disastrous year for the Rams, who sit at 0-6 amidst a rash of injuries and look in line for the #1 pick. The problem is, though, that the three top prospects in football (OT Jake Long, QB Brian Brohm, and RB Darren McFadden) all play positions the Rams are stocked at. That is…unless they traded Orlando Pace. The tackle is currently on injured reserve and out for the remainder of the season, but a trade would allow the Rams to assume most of the salary cap implications this season and next, while receiving more in return than they would if they drafted Long and had to move Pace. While Pace comes at a hefty salary, the Rams would be paying his signing bonus as per NFL rules, and a healthy Pace is one of the better offensive linemen in football. Instead, the Rams will likely select Long with the first overall pick and then be forced to move Long inside, where he's less valuable, or deal Pace away for pennies on the dollar.

-ign.com

Interesting...However incredibly idiotic in a way. We're no where near stocked with anything that has to do with the offensive line and Pace is on his way out anyway. How does Pace have any value whatsoever to any team? He's injury prone and is way too old now anyways...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: From IGN.com...

Pace is not to old...the injuries the last 2 seasons certainly haven't helped!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    1. St. Louis Rams: It's been a disastrous year for the Rams, who sit at 0-6 amidst a rash of injuries and look in line for the #1 pick. The problem is, though, that the three top prospects in football (OT Jake Long, QB Brian Brohm, and RB Darren McFadden) all play positions the Rams are stocked at. That is…unless they traded Orlando Pace. The tackle is currently on injured reserve and out for the remainder of the season, but a trade would allow the Rams to assume most of the salary cap implications this season and next, while receiving more in return than they would if they drafted Long and had to move Pace. While Pace comes at a hefty salary, the Rams would be paying his signing bonus as per NFL rules, and a healthy Pace is one of the better offensive linemen in football. Instead, the Rams will likely select Long with the first overall pick and then be forced to move Long inside, where he's less valuable, or deal Pace away for pennies on the dollar.

-ign.com

Interesting...However incredibly idiotic in a way. We're no where near stocked with anything that has to do with the offensive line and Pace is on his way out anyway. How does Pace have any value whatsoever to any team? He's injury prone and is way too old now anyways...
    This is a foolish article in that it ASSUMES that Jake Long is the best player(?) in this draft and will be the first drafted. From what I've been reading this is not even close to the truth. An even more plausible scenario may be that the Rams draft D. McFadden and trade S. Jackson (Dallas, anyone?) and get far more in return than they would for O. Pace.

WHAT SAY YE?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    This is a foolish article in that it ASSUMES that Jake Long is the best player(?) in this draft and will be the first drafted. From what I've been reading this is not even close to the truth. An even more plausible scenario may be that the Rams draft D. McFadden and trade S. Jackson (Dallas, anyone?) and get far more in return than they would for O. Pace.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I fail to see why it is likely that the Rams would spend an early round pick on a runningback and trade our current All-Pro back, especially when we just took a second round RB in the last draft for insurance. So let's say we took McFadden and traded away Jackson for another first round pick; does that actually make the team better? Why not just trade down if we like a player who will be available lower in the draft?

The article doesn't exactly say that Long is the best player in the draft, just that he's the highest ranked player at a position that might be considered a need for the Rams. I could see it happening. Pace wouldn't have much trade value, but we could probably still get something for him because o-linemen often play into their mid-thirties.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If we suck because Pace and other linemen are out, why would we even think of trading the best one we have?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    If we suck because Pace and other linemen are out, why would we even think of trading the best one we have?
    One word:

Potentialforthefuture.

Adding a second.

Paceisolderandofteninjuredsoitwouldmakesensetofreeupsomecaproombynegatinghismassivesalary.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

WHAT SAY YE?
    A similar situation that has more potential (IMHO) is to trade our first round pick for the Boys two first round picks. As I've stated elsewhere, assuming the Rams, Cowboys, and Browns all finish the season similar to the way they have started, the trade values would be about the same. This, of course, assumes that the Cowboys have a desire for McFadden (which makes sense), and the Rams will be happy with a roughly 7-10 pick and a 29-32 pick.

I'd pull the trigger on that one.......but that's just me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan Guest

unless things turn around this season for the Rams, I think we should expect some things to happen that at one time we thought would be out of the question,cuts,trades,firings,just changing coaches will not make us that much better, we need to get some players also.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I must say that I like most of the trade ideas that are floating around. Pace has proven to be a huge risk and could net us a nice player or pick. S Jackson is a great running back, but lets face it running backs are a dime a dozen. Also he is probably going to demand WAY too much money. I still believe that this team is as close to greatness than it has been in a long time. If the front office stops being cheap and goes after some big name free agents for a change than we won't have very many bigs needs to fill in the draft. First priority should be youth and size on the o-line.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I would certainly prefer to keep Pace and see how he's doing, but I don't think the idea of trading Pace is incredibly idiotic. Left tackles are always in vogue in the NFL; you'd be hard pressed to not find a single team interested at all. A declining Pace is still likely better than the options that a number of NFL teams have, and it helps that his two injuries are on different arms, so teams wouldn't have a chronic or reoccuring injury to worry about. Thus I think you'd be able to get something in return. Would it be enough to make it worth it? Who can say? It wouldn't be my first choice in terms of plans by any means, but I think it's a valid discussion to have as opposed to an idiotic one.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would certainly prefer to keep Pace and see how he's doing, but I don't think the idea of trading Pace is incredibly idiotic. Left tackles are always in vogue in the NFL; you'd be hard pressed to not find a single team interested at all. A declining Pace is still likely better than the options that a number of NFL teams have, and it helps that his two injuries are on different arms, so teams wouldn't have a chronic or reoccuring injury to worry about. Thus I think you'd be able to get something in return. Would it be enough to make it worth it? Who can say? It wouldn't be my first choice in terms of plans by any means, but I think it's a valid discussion to have as opposed to an idiotic one.
    You win

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I fail to see why it is likely that the Rams would spend an early round pick on a runningback and trade our current All-Pro back, especially when we just took a second round RB in the last draft for insurance. So let's say we took McFadden and traded away Jackson for another first round pick; does that actually make the team better? Why not just trade down if we like a player who will be available lower in the draft?

The article doesn't exactly say that Long is the best player in the draft, just that he's the highest ranked player at a position that might be considered a need for the Rams. I could see it happening. Pace wouldn't have much trade value, but we could probably still get something for him because o-linemen often play into their mid-thirties.
    Actually I like the 'trade down' scenario the best; but as always, the problem is finding a team to partner with. As for why the Rams might consider trading S. Jackson, there are some valid reasons to consider:
    1.) This is Jackson's fourth year and the third time of those four he has been injured and unable to play a full slate of games.

2.) Next year is his contract year and I'm gettin' concerned that he's going to ask for the moon, so to speak.

3.) #3 dovetails with #2 in that we have spent the lion's share of cap money on the offense, and by paying Jax what is tantamount to a king's ransom it will just leave less $$ to spend for quality upgrades on the defense and STs.

4.) Many recent SB teams have made to the big dance with less than Pro-Bowl quality RBs such as: J. Addai, W. Parker, L. Maroney, etc. Looks like you really don't need to over pay for a RB to reach the SB if this recent formula holds true.

WHAT SAY YE?

ScottD413 Guest

Isn't IGN a gaming site/magazine? What the h*ll do they know about sports??