Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Section 134 is offline Registered User

I'm always concerned when my team plays the Rams.

The Rams organisation has always been a thorn in the Giants side. It always seemed like any progress the team was making in a given year got ruined by a random game against the Rams. In the 80's when you guys couldn't get past the niners we would lose games badly to the Rams. Obviously the end of the '89 season will haunt me to my death bed not only because of the shock but because we were a much better team that year, the 89 squad was a Super Bowl team knocked out at home after a weeks rest... ugly loss... f'n Flipper!

Your Super Bowl team realy frustrated our team to the point where we began to measure our potential by how close we came to beating the Rams. We don't face you guys all the time but I have always had a dislike for your team and a feeling of dread when you show up on the schedule.

I'm glad that there is so much confusion and acromony in the franchise at this time and hopefully the performance against the Eagles will be duplicated on Sunday and we can sit our starters and grab an easy one... but for some reason I think you'll have more pride at home. 1st off I expect you'll have a ceremony for the late Mrs. Frontiere which will probally include some video of prior success that should pump up the crowd. I would also expect a focus on Steven Jackson running and catching since you're signing street free agents as WRs. Both of these situations should avoid that old "look flat" excuse.

I just don't think you have any where close to enough talent to keep up with the World Champs for 60 minutes. The WR match-ups from Plaxico to our 5th receiver Mario Maningham are unbeliavably in the Giants favor. If the Eagles are going to get 3 100 yard receivers I would guess Amani and Steve Smith should gather 300 yds between them. The power running game of Jacobs could become painful to watch and if you bring help from the secondary..... well.... we'll spin Corey Chavious like a top.

On defense I think the Giants could be attacked if Jackson can mix it up and Bulger can attck the short zone and the linebackers. I think Jackson running, Jackson catching, Jackson throwing?... anything... he's you're x factor and if you are lucky enough to stop our offense he'll also be the guy keeping us on the sideline.

All in all I hoping my favorite team plays like the upper echelon team that they are and destroys a struggling team like the Rams, but in my heart I think that won't be the case. Getting crapped on for a week and then trying to honor the memory of the Lady that got them to St. Louis and gave it a NFL Championship will give the Rams and early adrenal burst and maybe a quick score. I think the Giants will eventually right the ship and in the 2nd half take the lead and eventually win by two scores.

Go Giants!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: I'm always concerned when my team plays the Rams.

Some say Karma took down Brady... you might not want to invite any bad karma down on yourself either.

Also, you're not even in the same galaxy of coolness as the other Giants fan. Boo.

Whatever, I'm just here to find out something about the Rams. I was flipping between the Jets and Eagles games last weekend and everytime I switched to the Rams it was preaty bad. I just want to see if there is something more lieing in wait for the Giants.

krist042 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Section 134 View Post
    Whatever, I'm just here to find out something about the Rams. I was flipping between the Jets and Eagles games last weekend and everytime I switched to the Rams it was preaty bad. I just want to see if there is something more lieing in wait for the Giants.
    You can quote me, the Rams will not have a game like last week this whole season. But if your looking for a huge upset, I wouldn't put my money on it.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Without Osi or M.Strahan, that gives us a chance. A big chance. Look for the Rams to play much better. Will they win? That's why you still have to "play" the game....for 60minutes.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I am from NY so I see way more Giants football than I ever would care to, and they are so over rated that its not even funny. This team has been riddled with inconsistency for as long as I can remember. And just because he played well in the playoffs, I don't buy that Eli is all of a sudden in the same echelon as his brother. Granted, they are better than we are, but by no means are they unbeatable. They got hot at the right time last season, that is why they are the champs. Kind of like Pittsburgh a few years back. Since then they have lost their 2 best defensive players and their all star tight end. I am not impressed by the way they beat a flat and lifeless looking Redskins team. I am actually more afraid of the Bills at this point than I am the Giants. So bring em on. They are nothing to be afraid of.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

The game against the Giants is where our season begins. We'll be ready!!!

Well ok, there's some info from the oposing fans about how the Rams might win.

The loss of Strahan and Umenyiora is an unbelivable reduction in defensive strength. I think that the two players replacing them are great players (Tuck & Kiwanuka) the real issue is they were strong parts of last years defense as well. Who's replacing them? Add to that the free agent loss of Kavika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor and we are starting two new outside linebackers as well. The three crucial players to fill in for the loss of Strahan and Osi are LB's Wilkenson & Clark and rotating DE Renoldo Wynn. Clark (from the Texans) appears to have a good nose for the run and has experience, but his blitzing and coverage skills will be tested. Wilkenson is a third round draft pick from 06 who has been delayed by early career injuries. He was losing the preseason competition to Clark and then Osi went down and caused all the shifting around, he could develop into a player or... not. Renaldo wynn is 400 years old but he can still create a pass rush and allow Tuck to sneak inside to the tackle position where he accelled last year. The argument is a good one especially if you guys attack the short pass with Jackson.

Overrated!!! We are the defending Super Bowl Champs picked by half of the NFL press to NOT make the play-offs... overrated, Jesh. And as for Eli, who said he was Payton? The guys a career 55% completion QB who has a tendency to force balls and after 3 seasons as a full time starter still struggles with his accuracy. But he is also a smart quarterback who reads defenses well and makes complicated pre-snap adjustments at the line of scrimmage. He's a calm and poised in the toughest situations and has shown that he can lead the Giants down the field for a game-winning score late in a game. And by the way that's MVP to you, show some respect.

I think most of you feel you can win because you love your team and want to win. I applaud your loyality but I think emotion will only take your team so far. I think on offense the Giants will exploit bad match-ups and our offensive line is maybe one step better than the Eagles, and now with Little possibly out, I'm hoping for an untouched Eli just like the kindness you showed Donavan. On defense I think there are spots you can attack, but if you think we don't have a pass rush because Strahan and Osi are gone you are wrong. It's Jackson and Bolger and McMichael and Holt to do the damage, but can they score more than your defense can give up? I'm still not convinced that they can.

pikers is offline Registered User

All in all I hoping my favorite team plays like the upper echelon team that they are and destroys a struggling team like the Rams, but in my heart I think that won't be the case.
    10-6 isn't really "upper echelon", despite winning a couple playoff games. No offense, but your team is quite beatable.

Make no mistake, we're in big trouble organizationally, and I rooted for you guys in the Super Bowl. You essentially returned the favor to the Pats for what they did to us in '01. But if we come out strong, I think we'll hang.

Don't let the ring from last year make you forget that you still have to compete. After you guys are 5-0, we'll talk.

krist042 is offline Registered User

My view on that is, us (Rams fans) believe our team can win because we know the players true potential, not an emotional thing. People who follow the Rams, know that this team has the talent to win, they just don't.

P.S.
    Don't forget about the rookie LB Kehl you guys drafted. He has a lot of potential and I thought he was a big sleeper in the draft.

Ok Pikers:

The Giants are 1 of only 4 teams in the NFL to make the play-offs for the last three years.

The Giants are currently 5th in the NFL power rankings (umm... #32 if you were wondering)

The Giants have won 11 straight road games.

In order to become Super Bowl champions we had to beat the 13-3(best record in the NFC) Dallas Cowboys in their stadium, the 14-3(best record in the NFC) Green Bay Packers in their frozen stadium and the 18-0(best record EVER) New England Patriots!

The Giants are an upper echelon team no matter what criteria you use.

Krist-

I appreciate that you guys know your team but, you haven't won more than 8 games since 2003. I'm afraid this teams true potential is slightly below .500 maybe 6 or 7 wins. That could make you guys .500 at home this year, could the Giants be one of those 4 victories? Maybe, but I think the Giants are better than that.

As for Kehl, you are right, he does appear to be a good player and he got on the field for long streaches last week subing for wilkerson (I think wilkerson may be in the dog house). I would be concerned with a player that green against an experienced tandem of Bulger-Jackson out of the backfield. That might be a spot the Rams attack, but it also might be a spot where a young player earns his stripes. Isn't the NFL great!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ok Pikers:

The Giants are 1 of only 4 teams in the NFL to make the play-offs for the last three years.
    True enough, congratulations. But a team that was composed of most of your Super Bowl winning team was judged to have been "completely out coached" in all phases of the game in a horrible 1st round loss just a year and a half ago, so the Rams must not be that far off either. But guess what, those three playoff teams weren't the 2008 Giants.

The Giants are currently 5th in the NFL power rankings (umm... #32 if you were wondering)
    I just made my own power rankings... strangely the Rams are a top five team, yet the Giants are out of the top 20. What gives? Power Rankings are BS and you know it.

The Giants have won 11 straight road games.
    And yet, they've won the same amount as the Rams have this year.

In order to become Super Bowl champions we had to beat the 13-3(best record in the NFC) Dallas Cowboys in their stadium, the 14-3(best record in the NFC) Green Bay Packers in their frozen stadium and the 18-0(best record EVER) New England Patriots!
    Again, the 2007 Giants, not the 08 version.

The Giants are an upper echelon team no matter what criteria you use.
    Really? No matter what criteria I use? Ok, I will rank teams by how close their franchise has ever been to being located in Los Angeles. Well, the Rams and Raiders tie for the #1 slot. Then San Diego... The Cards, the Whiners.... hell, even the Cowboys are up there... As for the Giants, they're pretty low, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 134
    I applaud your loyalty but I think emotion will only take your team so far.
    Actually it was our lack of emotion that killed us last week. I fully expect our emotion to carry us to a victory this week.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

As your title states; "Im always concerned when my team plays the Rams". Well, you should be.

You never know what will happen on any given Sunday, and the Rams have a history of beating a New York team that is often perceived to have superior talent. (Much like the Angels own the Yankees)

The Rams most likely WILL attack the Giants underneath. Short passes and dump offs to Jax will be the call of the day. With the Rams O line still unsettled, I doubt the Rams will take many deep shots. If Saunders stays with the running game a little longer this week, the Rams CAN make a game of it. From what I saw last week with the Giants against a very mediocre Skins team, they shouldn't scare anybody offensively. Eli is still Eli, and a stinky performance is surely due.

If the Rams use last weeks dismal performance as motivation, the Giants could be walking into a trap.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sajones is offline Registered User

They did all of that with Strahan and Osi healthy, big difference now.

Wow Teke, what an incrediblly misinformed and ridiculous response. 1st off I think your "outcoached" comment was referencing our horrible 23-0 Carolina play-off loss from Jan. 06, not our hard fought last second 38 yd field goal play-off loss to the Eagles in Philly from Jan. 07. And 2nd off what does that matter, are you trying to say that your Linehan/Haslet/Saunders (laughing stock of the NFL) can hold a candle to the Couhlan/Spagnola/Gilbride braintrust. Is this a joke... are you kidding?

And your constant reference to this 08 team not being the 07 team, yeah I know. We lost no coaches, we lost Shockey on offensive and we had a significant loss to our front 7. I get it. But are you seriously gonna say that the performance of '07 can not be used as a precursor for '08? If I had been 3-13 I would beleive that myth as well.

The Power Rankings are horse**** but they are an average ranking by the top 15 national sports writers. They give a snapshot of where the teams that acomplish their gameplan sit week to week and we are considered in the top 5. It's not my only supporting point.

The rest of your post is just repetitive crap about "we'll see" and your "any criteria" comeback is childish at best - maniacial at worst.

This argument will be settled on your field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast