Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rampower
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By TekeRam

Thread: I'm detecting a pattern with Jim Thomas/the PD

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm detecting a pattern with Jim Thomas/the PD

A couple of weeks ago, Thomas wrote a full article on the termination of 3 scouts. While that certainly is news, I felt as though it was given more attention than was needed. No big deal, but then...

Word came out about the Rams purportedly hiring Rob Ryan, and Thomas wrote a very negative article about Ryan's credentials. Again, not a huge deal. Just a bit slanted for my taste.

Then, with the news that Ryan was not hired, Thomas has published an article that makes it seem like it was Ryan's decision, as opposed to Fisher's. An odd angle, particularly when the only source for this "report" is unnamed, and Fisher's own comments indicate that it was a team decision.

Now, Thomas has published an article titled "Rams lose another member of scouting department." As it turns out, its not a scout who left, but rather the Director of Scouting Administration, who left for personal reasons (apparently she's moving to Arizona to work with a friend in the Cardinals organization). I'd question whether this is even newsworthy.

All of this leaves me wondering... is this a pattern? Does Thomas have a beef with the current front office? Or, is this just a continuation of issues that arose during prior regimes?

I don't think the PD's role is to be the Rams' cheering section, but I do think that it should avoid decidedly negative slants. In recent weeks, I've felt as though the PD (Thomas in particular) is going out its way to portray the front office in a negative light.

Or, is it just me?

rampower is offline Registered User

I'm detecting a pattern with Jim Thomas/the PD

No news sells like bad news, If you can't think of anything else to write.
    laram0 likes this.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Re: I'm detecting a pattern with Jim Thomas/the PD

All of this leaves me wondering... is this a pattern? Does Thomas have a beef with the current front office? Or, is this just a continuation of issues that arose during prior regimes?

I don't think the PD's role is to be the Rams' cheering section, but I do think that it should avoid decidedly negative slants. In recent weeks, I've felt as though the PD (Thomas in particular) is going out its way to portray the front office in a negative light.

Or, is it just me?[/QUOTE]

I read the PD on-line daily and do not share your take on JT's posture concerning the Rams. If anything, he's a counterbalance to Miklasz and the all-time Rams cheer leader Brian Burwell. The St. Louis media is criticized, especially by anyone who's lived and worked in other cities (e.g. NY, CHI, LA, DA, HOU) and read the scathing articles that their media write and broadcast when the team is doing poorly. IMHO

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post

Or, is it just me?
    I read the PD on-line daily and do not share your take on JT's posture concerning the Rams. If anything, he's a counterbalance to Miklasz and the all-time Rams cheer leader Brian Burwell. The St. Louis media is criticized, especially by anyone who's lived and worked in other cities (e.g. NY, CHI, LA, DA, HOU) and read the scathing articles that their media write and broadcast when the team is doing poorly. IMHO
    [/QUOTE]
    Exactly what I thought. His take is quite a bit different from the culture around Miklasz basically jumping in with the odd article here and there to mimic what is being thrown at the walls by the angry little monkeys on the PD forums.

If anything I think he just did not like Ryan, and implying that Ryan leaked out the information about being the next DC of the Rams and that Ryan flaked out when he found out he wouldn't be able to run his own scheme with his own assistant coaches.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I honestly do not read the St. Louis media daily, and therefore cannot have an informed opinion about a pattern of negativity from JT or anyone else. But just as a general statement, I find it interesting that what is constituted as "negative" in other cities would be tame by our standards here in the NY/NJ media market, where media scrutiny and negativity are in a class by themselves.
    THOLTFAN81 and RuffRams like this.

Explain to me, then, why Jim Thomas seems to be the only reporter who is spinning the Ryan non-hire as Ryan's decision?

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Explain to me, then, why Jim Thomas seems to be the only reporter who is spinning the Ryan non-hire as Ryan's decision?
    Actually on a few radio stations they were saying the same thing. They may have gotten the idea from JT but just sayinng JT wasnt the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat

Actually on a few radio stations they were saying the same thing. They may have gotten the idea from JT but just sayinng JT wasnt the only one
    Jeff Fisher said it was the team's decision.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think that Ryan thought that he would have the ability to transition to a 3-4, but then a couple days later Fisher reminded him that the team was going to stay a 4-3. Both sides probably realized at that point that it wouldn't work, and they tried making whatever face saving comments that they could.

Meh, I'm just happy we're staying a 4-3.
    laram0 and Agrajag like this.
    I believe!