Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I'm Glad SJax and Amendola are Gone

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm Glad SJax and Amendola are Gone

There.

I said it.

This is not a dig at either player.

Steven Jackson ranks, in my mind, as one of the greatest Rams. He gave the team consistent production and leadership through some very dark years, and did so with loyalty and class.

Danny Amendola is a great "rags to riches" story. When healthy, he was the Rams' most consistent receiver over the past three years.

That said, what would they have provided if they had stayed for 2013?

Jackson would have continued to be a workhorse who could be relied upon to give you 4 to 4.5 yards a pop with good ball security and the occasional longer run.

Amendola would likely have contiued to be Sam Bradford's security blanket - the guy he would look for in tight spots - though he never was much of a big play threat.

Instead, the Rams go into the 2013 season with a lot of talented (though unproven) players who start the season on relatively equal footing in terms of who will get the ball most often.

On 1st and 10, opposing defenses won't be able to key on one RB who is most likely to get the ball.

On 3rd and 6, there won't be that "one guy" who most will expect to be relied upon to move the chains.

For Sam Bradford and Brian Schottenheimer, the playbook is now open. There are no more crutches, no more easy-outs, no more obvious go-to guys. The ball will go to various people, depending on who steps up, how defenses react, and matchups.

Change can be scary, but in this case, I welcome it.

SJax and Amendola were great Rams, and I wish them well.

But I'm glad they're gone.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: I'm Glad SJax and Amendola are Gone

I wanted to us to trade SJ last year during the trade deadline. I love the guy but it's a business, and it's about the team not Steven Jackson. Whether he is here or not the St. Louis Rams will continue. Pead/Drich strike a lot more fear into defense's hearts and I think that will show this year with their quickness and big play ability. I'd even say SJ wasn't the best RB on our team last year (DRICH looked a lot more impressive). He just finds a place to go with the ball when there isn't any. Unbelievable burst. He's a guy that will never lose yardage as he's a N-S runner.

THE DREAM TEAM

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I share your sentiments fully as well, AV. They have both been great players for us, especially SJax, but it is what it is; there is no ducking the fact that SJax no longer possesses the burst and acceleration to break off long runs, and Danny Amendola was somewhat injury prone (even though a lot of that was attributed to putting his body on the line to make a tough catch). Both guys needed a change of scenery, and we found a way to upgrade at the WR position with Tavon Austin. At RB, im guessing a committeee approach...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

For me, to say I'm glad they're gone is a stretch. I am anxious to see what our offense is going to look like now.
    Last edited by laram0; -08-09-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I won't miss Danny, but i don't think Jackson is the same situation. We will see if we miss Jackson's leadership. We will see if we miss his pass blocking. We will see if completely unproven guys can get the job done. I like the promise of what we have at the position, but that is a long way from the lost production. What i was hoping for (against the odds i appreciate) was that jackson would come back and accept a more limited role. I don't blame him for leaving, especially to go the falcons with a better chance to win a title and staying as the feature back. However, i am not glad he is gone.

With Danny, production or not, the guy hasnt been a Ram all that long and he has not been able to stay on the field injury wise. We have other players that can fill that role and i think that the money is better spent on other guys, including Cook. I think even if Danny was back we would have added receiver help, so i am not sure that in Danny's case it was an either or.

In short, I am pretty much indifferent on Danny, especially at that kind of money. Jackson is another story.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Change is good, even though I hate it. my wife always embraces it.

SJ was a great leader for the team BUT, he seems to get a pass on the bad record the team had during his time here and he was a huge part of it.

The media now says he is a great player that just played for a bad team. They always refer to his 1000 yard seasons as some great feat. The only problem is yards don't win games points do and he was sub-par when it came to scoring TD's. I don't know how we are ever going to replace his four TDs he scored last year, I'm a nervous wreck about it.

To me he will always come off as a me first player. He proved it when he left, he said it's not about the money it's about my role and sharing reps. He still wants to be the guy. I get that but if he really wanted to put the team first he would have accepted the role and stayed. If another team had offered him 7 mil per heck who could blame he for taking it. He left because he does not think the Rams have a chance at a ring and he wants to pad his stats on a team that has been close in the last few years.

I'm looking forward to week two! Bring it!

As far as DA goes he will be very productive as long as he stay healthy no surprise there, kind of like DX. Wes welker just came out in SI saying how bad it is playing for Bill Belichick good luck Danny.

It has to be liberating for Bradford to not have SJ in the locker room, it's his team now.
    VegasRam likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I will hold my opinion on this until I see how the Rams fare. A very young team indeed. But, I have confidence in the staff and the talent is there.....at least on paper.

RealRam is offline Registered User

A Jackson / Amendola departure certainly produced incoming talent -- talent the likes of which we haven't seen in Rams rosters for a long time. Chances are that with all these rookies and new veterans wearing the bighorns, there WILL be a marked improvement in offense and defense quality. It seems to be one of those 'change is good' scenarios as Rambos mentioned, change for the better, for sure.

It's just the semantics of saying "I'm glad SJax and Amendola are gone" that I can't utter.

emuen is online now Registered User

I will miss them both. I'm not as sold on Richardson as sosa is. He did good last year, but he also ran with his head down and I think we kind of saw his ceiling last year. Also neither Pead or Richardson is as good a pass blocker, so Bradford will have less protection on passing downs.

Amendola was solid in the slot and the go-to-guy. The argument that a offence can be better without a go-to-guy is flawed. The reason they didn't spread the ball around with Amendola was because he ran open. He didn't make the offence worse, but better. That the QB needs a short guy security blanket is the problem. It's not the blanket that is the problem, and now Bradford don't have it. At least not a proven one!

With that being set I think it was the right thing to let both of them go, due to long time progression and our cap situation. But I won't say I'm glad they are gone, because they were some of our best players.

kman is offline Registered User

The only reason I am somewhat glad they are gone, is the salary cap relief..they just cost more then what the rams can afford, but money aside, I liked them on our team..

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Personally, I wasn't happy at all that Amendola and Steven left. I was however quite relieved, to move on.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.
    Semper Fi!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I respectfully disagree. Saying "I'm glad they're gone" then trying to qualify it by saying "this isn't a dig at either player" is a bit much to swallow. In fairness, you did subsequently say complimentary things about each, but the title of your thread negates those positive comments in my mind. Jackson was one of the true warriors in franchise history, especially given his surrounding cast the past decade. I happen to agree with you that it was time for Jackson to go, but feel he deserves better than a comment tantamount to "see ya". Amendola is a guy I never wanted to see go- regardless of what our current crop of guys do or don't do. Certainly his injury history was a concern, but he was productive when healthy and is one of those guys that fans love to see and an exciting player to boot - the classic scrappy white guy successfully playing against bigger and better people. History might dictate letting him go was a sound decision, but I'm far from being "glad he's gone". He's a guy people won't truly appreciate until he's no longer around (think Miami regrets letting Wes Welker go??) and heaven forbid some of our other receivers falter. And I'll make a prediction: if healthy, Danny Amendola will have 1000 yards this season with Tom Brady.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -08-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the two concepts are difficult to reconcile at all.

I'm a fan of both SJax and Amendola but, as long as they were here, younger players who have more long term upside would have to wait their turn. At this point, I think the Rams are better off embracing their future.

I'd imagine that, by way of example, fans in Indianapolis have a similar feeling. They love and revere Peyton Manning, but I'm sure that many of them are glad he's gone so they can move on the Andrew Luck era.

If you look at the teams that have had sustained success in this league in recent years (New England, Pittsburgh, N.Y. Giants) you'll see that they all know when its time to move on from their past and embrace their future. That's what the Rams are doing now, and I support that approach.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd imagine that, by way of example, fans in Indianapolis have a similar feeling. They love and revere Peyton Manning, but I'm sure that many of them are glad he's gone so they can move on the Andrew Luck era.
    Living here in Indy I can tell you that this is the overwhelming sentiment among Colts fans (that I run into at least as I don't know everyone here). They love Peyton for what he did but they'll gladly take 15 years of Luck over 3-4 more years of Manning.

I appreciate SJ but you can't rebuild for the future on the legs of an "old" running back. Danny is over rated imho so I'm not sorry to see him go at all. (yeah yeah hate all you guys want)

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There's a huge difference. Andrew Luck has a body of work (albeit small) from which to judge. He was also a consensus number one draft pick, considered to be the best QB in a draft in the last 15-20 years. His performance last year shows us that barring injury, Indy is in good hands. Before the season started, I'd venture to guess the sentiment wasn't quite as strong in favor of Luck, as you don't just cast aside an all-time great player like Manning and hope next year is business as usual- regardless of how high a guy is on a draft board. On the flip side, not one running back on the Rams roster nor many of their receivers have a resume that warrants me to say "I'm glad" anyone is gone. I agree it was time for Jackson to go. Amendola isn't old and was regarded highly enough where New England signed him. And as much as we hate their guts, one can't quibble much with their methods of talent evaluation and maximizing guys' performances over the years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast