Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I'm Glad SJax and Amendola are Gone

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm Glad SJax and Amendola are Gone

The problem with Danny is that he is the equivalent of a "volume shooter" in basketball. For him to be effective, he needs to get the ball a lot, as his ypc average has never been all that great (career average 8.8 yards).

With Danny gone, my hope is that Sam won't rely on a "safety valve" who runs 8-10 yard patterns but, instead, will work to get the ball into the hands of guys who are likely to average between 12-18 ypc.

SJax presents a similar issue. He's at his best when he carries the ball 20+ times and wears down the defense. But... is that the best strategy for this team? I'd say "no."

This needs to be Sam Bradford, Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey's offense. That can't happen when 20-30 plays are reserved for two guys who are reaching the end of the line (in SJax's case) and/or more of the "chain mover" type than the "big play" type (both players).
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The problem with Danny is that he is the equivalent of a "volume shooter" in basketball. For him to be effective, he needs to get the ball a lot, as his ypc average has never been all that great (career average 8.8 yards).

With Danny gone, my hope is that Sam won't rely on a "safety valve" who runs 8-10 yard patterns but, instead, will work to get the ball into the hands of guys who are likely to average between 12-18 ypc.

SJax presents a similar issue. He's at his best when he carries the ball 20+ times and wears down the defense. But... is that the best strategy for this team? I'd say "no."

This needs to be Sam Bradford, Chris Givens, Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey's offense. That can't happen when 20-30 plays are reserved for two guys who are reaching the end of the line (in SJax's case) and/or more of the "chain mover" type than the "big play" type (both players).
    What this guy said!

Bradford said we where just too predictable with the offense running through SJ. With all the teams loading the box to stop SJ that left Sam feeling claustrophobic. The defenses where coming hard at SJ but getting to Bradford on the way to SJ if that makes sense.

The fact we do not have a proven back, no team will load the box. In fact on paper one would think to beat the Rams you need to shut down the passing game. That in itself should create running lanes for our backs by committee.

Fisher always has a great back he will find the next one.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Semantics......I understand the logic behind the headline but this got me thinking:

Broke my Ram heart to see these guys depart:

Kurt Warner
    Isaac Bruce
    Torry Holt
    Hacksaw
    ED

Glad they left:

Rag dahl
    J Smith

Sad to see them go

Danny
    SJ 39
    citr92 likes this.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

That said, what would they have provided if they had stayedfor 2013? Well a super bowl perhaps!Jackson would have continued to be a workhorse who could berelied upon to give you 4 to 4.5 yards a pop with good ball security and theoccasional longer run. You cansay that again!!!
    Amendolawould likely have continued to be Sam Bradford's security blanket - the guy hewould look for in tight spots - though he never was much of a big play threat. If Sam misses him, we have aproblem Houston!!!
    Instead, the Rams go into the 2013 season with a lot oftalented (though unproven) players who start the season on relatively equalfooting in terms of who will get the ball most often. That will miss these two severely!!!
    On 1st and 10, opposing defenses won't be able to key on oneRB who is most likely to get the ball. Because we donít have one.
    On 3rd and 6, there won't be that "one guy" whomost will expect to be relied upon to move the chains. They can just tee off on Sam until someone is ready tostep up.
    For Sam Bradford and Brian Schottenheimer, the playbook isnow open. There are no more crutches, no more easy-outs, no more obvious go-toguys. The ball will go to various people, depending on who steps up, howdefenses react, and matchups. Agreed!
    Change can be scary, but in this case, I welcome it. I donít.
    SJax and Amendola were great Rams, and I wish them well. Once again well said.
    But I'm glad they're gone. I will miss them every week. I loved these two and always will. I miss them already and when we make it intothe playoffs, I will miss them more.
    The sky is not falling. Its just that the sun doesn't seem to shine so bright in St. Louis right now.
    And as always GO RAMS!!!!!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There.

I said it.

This is not a dig at either player.

Steven Jackson ranks, in my mind, as one of the greatest Rams. He gave the team consistent production and leadership through some very dark years, and did so with loyalty and class.

Danny Amendola is a great "rags to riches" story. When healthy, he was the Rams' most consistent receiver over the past three years.

That said, what would they have provided if they had stayed for 2013?

Jackson would have continued to be a workhorse who could be relied upon to give you 4 to 4.5 yards a pop with good ball security and the occasional longer run.

Amendola would likely have contiued to be Sam Bradford's security blanket - the guy he would look for in tight spots - though he never was much of a big play threat.

Instead, the Rams go into the 2013 season with a lot of talented (though unproven) players who start the season on relatively equal footing in terms of who will get the ball most often.

On 1st and 10, opposing defenses won't be able to key on one RB who is most likely to get the ball.

On 3rd and 6, there won't be that "one guy" who most will expect to be relied upon to move the chains.

For Sam Bradford and Brian Schottenheimer, the playbook is now open. There are no more crutches, no more easy-outs, no more obvious go-to guys. The ball will go to various people, depending on who steps up, how defenses react, and matchups.

Change can be scary, but in this case, I welcome it.

SJax and Amendola were great Rams, and I wish them well.

But I'm glad they're gone.

On top of that, I'm looking forward to pro-bowl caliber seasons out of them, in order for us to receive relatively high compensatory picks for them next year. While we're at it, throw in a great season from Brandon Gibson, Bradley Fletcher and a few others.

Sorry Craig Dahl, you're not included in this one, though I'm certainly glad you're gone.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

What this guy said!

Bradford said we where just too predictable with the offense running through SJ. With all the teams loading the box to stop SJ that left Sam feeling claustrophobic. The defenses where coming hard at SJ but getting to Bradford on the way to SJ if that makes sense.

The fact we do not have a proven back, no team will load the box. In fact on paper one would think to beat the Rams you need to shut down the passing game. That in itself should create running lanes for our backs by committee.

Predictability isn't a problem if you have the talent to impose your will on a team. Everyone knows who Minnesota, Houston, New England, Green Bay, and New Orleans are going to feature, but they're good enough for that to not matter more often than not. The problem for the Rams in that regard was that they weren't talented enough last year to do that or consistently exploit the outside match-ups that resulted from a stacked box.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm glad SJ and DA are gone, but I understand the business side of things. I don't think DA was worth the money he got, and I respect that SJ didn't want to be part of a committee approach. Still, given Jackson's ability in the passing game, it would have been fun to see him in this offense. Do defenses continue to stack against the run? If so, Givens/Cook/Austin can burn them. If they drop back and play the pass, then here comes SJ trucking through the middle like a battering ram.

Hopefully these young 'backs are up to the challenge.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

As of today, I don't see an Eddie George or a Chris Johnson on this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    As of today, I don't see an Eddie George or a Chris Johnson on this roster.
    To be honest I don't see him either but that does not means he's not already on the team or will arrive in the next draft. Fisher seems to have an eye for what it takes to be a productive back. We may not have Eddie George or a Chris Johnson on this team this year but I won't be surprised if Fisher can get the production through the committee while we wait for that back to arrive.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Fisher seems to have an eye for what it takes to be a productive back.
    Isaiah Pead is doing his best to put that conventional wisdom to the test.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Isaiah Pead is doing his best to put that conventional wisdom to the test.
    Yeah Pead is doing a good job of that. Pead is looking like he's a head case and at the moment he can't get out of his own way. Fisher has brought in a good stable of backs, not sure who will rise to the top but someone will.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I do miss them both as well and to say I'm glad they're gone is a stretch too. But Sj was getting slower with shorter runs, Danny was their when he was on the field, But except for Sj we have a better slot player who faster and quicker.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

You guys say this now. Wait until you see what SJ39 does to our defense when we go to the Georgia dome and wait and see what brady does with a younger wes welker.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    You guys say this now. Wait until you see what SJ39 does to our defense when we go to the Georgia dome and wait and see what brady does with a younger wes welker.
    SJ running behind that falcon O line, to be honest I like our front seven chances. If he went to the whiners and ran behind that line, that would be something.

I'm sure DA will have a nice year, if he stays healthy. The question was never about his skills. With Cook and Austin I think we will get over the loss of Danny boy.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    Don't regret letting SJ walk not one bit. We had different interests and that's all there was to it. Amendola on the other hand, I'm willing to wager he'll be a BEAST this season. I could easily see 110+ receptions and 1,200+ yards (if he can stay healthy). Now with that all being said, I'm not sure if it was the right decision to let him walk or not. But I can say I'd rather have Cook and Tavon Austin rather than Danny Amendola in the slot.
    Rambos likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

rammiser is offline Registered User

I am not glad to se either of them gone however it was time for this to be Bradford's team and with Sjax still here that could not happen. Arguably there is no bigger supporter of Sjax than me but in my heart i know that this needed to happen for Bradford to mature.
    Just Fix It

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast