throwback week

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to continue to fight for the soul of this website.

There are a lot of Rams fan sites on the web. I post on one. This one.

Why?

Because this one, at its core, is different.

At its core, this is a site where the discussions are a bit more civil, a bit more rational, and a bit more intelligent than what I've seen at other sites (in the case of the PD boards, you can replace the words "a bit" with "a lot").

We have our disagreements, no doubt. But that is a good thing. I've disagreed with r8rh8rmike many times over the years, but I consider him a friend. Bigredman loves to take potshots at my optimism, but he's one of the people I look forward to seeing every year at the Bash. Fat Pang and I have butted heads like... well... like a couple of bighorn rams, but I respect him as much as any poster here.

Lately, however (and not for the first time), we've had an influx of posters who seem to view a forum as something other than a place for an exchange of ideas. Best I can tell, they view it as a place to come when they need to vent.

As a Moderator, I accept the "right" to come here for the sole purpose of venting frustration and negativity (provided that the expression conforms with the board's rules).

As a long-time poster, who views ClanRam as my internet "home" as a Rams fan, I find the negative interlopers to be a drain on the overall enjoyment of the website. To be honest, in recent weeks, I've entertained the notion that maybe it would be better just to avoid this place until the season starts (at least then we can argue about things that actually matter).

Well... the Hell with that! I, for one, am not turning these boards over to those who have no interest in contributing to this place, but only wish to use it as their soundboard for negativity.

So, if you fit this description, don't be surprised if I am very frank about your overblown Chicken-Little-isms... And don't be surprised if others likewise oppose your efforts to change this site into something it is not.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Re: I'm going to continue to fight for the soul of this website.

Please define contributing to this website seeing we too are "diehard" RAMS fans.

If you need some guidance, you might ask yourself the following: What typically prompts me to visit this site? If the honest answer is that you visit this site most often when you believe the Rams have done something wrong or something bad has happened to the team, you probably are the type of poster I'm talking about.

This is not really about who is a "diehard" fan. Its about the reason why you come here, and they way you comport yourself when you post.

. I come here to see what others think- I already know what I think Don't you remember me AV, I'm the one you told to chill out after I gave my opinion concerning our recent draft picks. Now that some of us have seen two games we're questioning what's going on and how it might be fixed and even whether that's even possible.
    Last edited by diehard99; -08-22-2009 at 09:39 PM.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If you need some guidance, you might ask yourself the following: What typically prompts me to visit this site? If the honest answer is that you visit this site most often when you believe the Rams have done something wrong or something bad has happened to the team, you probably are the type of poster I'm talking about.

This is not really about who is a "diehard" fan. Its about the reason why you come here, and they way you comport yourself when you post.
    Considering the recent lack of success for our team, I think it stands to reason that we've had far more bad moments, than good ones. Thus the board is more negative. It's the nature of the sport, as well as fans to be hard on their team.

However, when the team starts to succeed I'm sure it'll lighten up. Unfortunately for me, I've been around this board largely starting with the Linehan era'
    Last edited by btimsah; -08-22-2009 at 09:43 PM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't mind a little negativity. That's bound to come with passionate fans on any sports forum. With the way this team has performed the past couple years, they deserve criticism. Everyone sees things differently and I enjoy reading all the different perspectives ClanRam offers us.

What bothers me the most is when this negativity is overblown and wildly exaggerated. When it's to the point where there is no objective argument behind it and people begin stating their opinions as fact. It turns into a redundant yawn-fest of a discussion and everyone wants the last word.

I, too, will always call ClanRam my home and defend its sole purpose, which is to bring intelligent discussions about the team to Rams fans. I don't expect there to be a deep, philosophical debate in every thread, but I do expect at least some thought put behind the posts.

If we're not open-minded and objective about the arguments here, then we might as well be a bunch of screaming monkeys flinging poo at each other.

Above all, I'd like people to remember to keep it civil. We are all Rams fans in the end and we all bleed the same colors - blue and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    Now that some of us have seen two (Ed. - PRESEASON) games we're questioning what's going on and how it might be fixed and even whether that's even possible.
    Thank you. That may very well be the perfect illustration of my point.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Guys, I don't think AV is talking about being a cheerleader. It's the difference between.....

A) The Rams suck. I hate (name of player). He can't do anything right. We have got to get another (position of player) because (name of player) sucks and everybody on the planet knows it! He sucks and that's a fact!

and....

B) I'm not yet convinced that (name of player) is our best option at (position of player). For example, he (discussion filled with substantive reasoning persuading readers in a logical manner). What do you guys think?

There is a world of difference in the two.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    It's the nature of the sport, as well as fans to be hard on their team.
    I don't agree that its a fan's job to be "hard on their team." Fans should be critical, when called for, but at least hopeful for the future.

How can any Rams fan who followed this team from 1998 to 1999 not get that optimism can be rewarded very quickly?

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't agree that its a fan's job to be "hard on their team." Fans should be critical, when called for, but at least hopeful for the future.

How can any Rams fan who followed this team from 1998 to 1999 not get that optimism can be rewarded very quickly?
    Do you remember what it was like when we beat the Redskins and Cowboys last season? I just don't think it's fair to judge people for overreacting to one of the worst teams in the league.. there just has not been a lot to enjoy with the team and that's the only reason it's gotten like this on here.

I will try to be more positive. We all know the negatives at this point and I guess there is no reason to keep repeating them.

When we beat Seattle opening week, joy will spring forth. lol

AV - You're not worth talking to.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    AV - You're not worth talking to.
    Yet you took time to post that?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TorontoRams Guest

Every forum on the internet will have users who want to vent. It doesn't matter if you won the superbowl fans will have something to bicker about and have the right to bicker about it, and frankly that venting in turn can create conversation and debates about the points put forward. Would you rather just come to the site and see no new threads and all the same ideas? You have to take the good with the bad, I come hear for Rams news and to see peoples overall opinion of the team, good or bad. If you disagree with something the team does or are frustrated with it, why shouldn't you be allowed to speak your feelings with other die-hard fans on a forum where the soul purpose of its existence is to talk anything and everything that has to do with the St. Louis Rams?

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRams View Post
    If you disagree with something the team does or are frustrated with it, why shouldn't you be allowed to speak your feelings with other die-hard fans on a forum where the soul purpose of its existence is to talk anything and everything that has to do with the St. Louis Rams?
    You REALLY need to go back and read my first post.

I have no problem with criticism (i.e. I may have criticized the previous HC from time to time).

I have no problem with occasional negativity (yes, its been a rough few years).

I do have a problem with people who ONLY come here when they have something negative to say.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I have been on this board for awhile now.Lately I just read the news on the Rams and move on. I wish Dez would have a news only section, that would save me some time.

The fact that someone could watch Friday nights game and think, never mind....

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast