Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Curly Horns
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: I'm going to go on record right now and say...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to go on record right now and say...

... the 2013 Rams will have better team stats than the 2012 Rams with respect to all of the following offensive categories:

Yards/Game
    Passer Rating
    Points/Game

I felt the need to post this as a response to all the doom and gloom "fans" out there (mostly on Twitter.... man, I hate Twitter) who are crying that the Rams will be horrible because they lost Amendola and Jackson.

CanadaRam is offline Registered User

Re: I'm going to go on record right now and say...

I'm excited for next year, I'll tell you why:

With Danny and SJax we knew what we would get from them, great safety blanket for 9 games and a solid run game of consistent 4-6 yards a run. But i gotta tell you, that gets dull to watch every Sunday. Next year Sammy B will have to branch out, look down field more, and when he does hit his "safety net" (Cook) there is a chance that we could see a big break. In the run game, our guys will be more explosive than SJax last year. Its the excitement of: "we don't know what we are going to get"

I dunno, maybe its the FA high but i feel good about this coming year.

KiwiRam is offline Registered User

A winning record .... i just got goosebumps !!! That for me would mean a great year and progress, only next to having a winning record inside our division. Playoffs or not. I think we have a few extra wins in us this year.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Just because.......I'd like to say, the reality of SJ leaving is sad. I do think this team will be fine though.

sniff sniff
    Semper Fi!

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

As long as we have the wins to go with those stats. Amendola and Jackson were our two best offensive players so to outsiders it seems like we will suck. I have hope that Fisher and Snead will make the right moves in the draft and get us some young playmakers.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

You know why I'm excited? This is Bradford's team now. He is the leader and he's gotta step up to the plate. He's in the same offense for the first time in his career, we're adding (hopefully) a solid LT in Jake Long, and we've already signed a dynamic pass-catching TE (and I didn't think Kendricks was too bad either) in Jared Cook, who was, from my understanding, underutilized. We're set at TE with big, fast, athletic players.

Then, we need to add a few pieces to the puzzle and I think we'll be in pretty good shape.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    ... the 2013 Rams will have better team stats than the 2012 Rams with respect to all of the following offensive categories:

Yards/Game
    Passer Rating
    Points/Game

I felt the need to post this as a response to all the doom and gloom "fans" out there (mostly on Twitter.... man, I hate Twitter) who are crying that the Rams will be horrible because they lost Amendola and Jackson.
    First of all, I hope you're right. And you may be 100% correct in your prediction. I do feel, however, that people are understandably concerned we've lost two big links to any offensive success we've had- and fan favorites to boot. This certainly doesn't mean we're going to be horrible; I don't believe that for a second, but it DOES concern me that we now must have an excellent draft- no easy task- to replace them because I'm not at all convinced we have enough on the current roster to get it done.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    First of all, I hope you're right. And you may be 100% correct in your prediction. I do feel, however, that people are understandably concerned we've lost two big links to any offensive success we've had- and fan favorites to boot. This certainly doesn't mean we're going to be horrible; I don't believe that for a second, but it DOES concern me that we now must have an excellent draft- no easy task- to replace them because I'm not at all convinced we have enough on the current roster to get it done.
    In SJax's case, I think the Rams will wish need to add another RB to its "committee" (My Top 5 are Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy, Mike Gillislee, Johnathan Franklin and Montee Ball) to ensure that we can remain productive on the ground.

In Danny's case, I think there is some degree of overstatement of his impact. He had two great games last year which accounted for 26 of his 63 receptions, and 262 of his 666 yards. I the other 10 games in which he played, he averaged less than 4 receptions for just over 40 yards.

I think that sometimes you just have to let the young players play. If Brian Quick is going to emerge, its going to be on the field on Sunday, not on the practice field. Same goes for Isaiah Pead. I think Chris Givens has more upside. I think we can add another WR to create match-up problems. And, of course, Cook is an added threat.

I'm excited about the direction of this offense. As I've said before, its really going to come down to the O line, and if Jake Long signs (WHAT THE FRICK IS TAKING SO LONG!!!!!), we'll be on our way to really improving there.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

They were the 2 best players on the 25th ranked offense in the league. Running for 4 yards several times a game and dinking and dunking with DA wasn't putting points on the board so it makes sense to go get big playmakers that can actually move the offense towards being successful. If that meant losing 2 fan favorites then so be it. The Patriots don't let feelings get in the way of their decisions and they win 12 games every year. Knowing when to move on and knowing when a guy is replaceable is a big part of building a good football team over a long period of time.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I can understand some concern with the loss of those two guys. BUT three TDs from DA (one of those came on the trick-play) and Four from SJ is nothing to stress over. It's not like SJ had 19 TDs and DA had 12 TDs. The young guys will produce yards by getting more reps. My hope is the youth movement will create more points. The longest TD run was from 10 yards out, I'm sorry that's not going to get it done. DA had 3 TD passes with 101 targets, its not like another guy can't cash in on some of those passes going his way.

Change is good.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Well, when you're the 25th ranked offense in the league, the bar ain't set too high....

But in all seriousness, I believe the Rams will be much improved this year on offense, just because it's another year together with Sam and company, they're bound to get better. ...and I like having some homerun speed in the backfield. Something we've not seen from Jackson for a few years.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    I'm a firm believer in drafting talent and then continuing to develop that talent. I think acquiring players through free agency should be done in a conservative manner to enhance the current roster.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

All the posts here are spot on. We lost 2 players that meant a lot to us, probably because we had little else to cheer about. In my mind this is the beginning of the Jeff Fisher Era. We will be a different team, a hard-nose, tough football team. Steven and Danny were remnants from a previous regime and gave us a lot to cheer about because the other offensive players for the most part were mediocre, other than Sam.

Like others have said here next year looks promising. We're now playing in one the leagues toughest divisions and that should make us compete harder every game because every game means more. I wish Steven and Danny well except when they play us. Let us not forget this is a business and we made some tough choices, but I believe the right ones. So let's sign Jake Long, perhaps trade Roger Saffold (New Orleans, Miami & Balt. may need a LT) and draft well. Much to look forward to.

Go Rams!

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

When one looks at the number of holes they had to fill last year, when they had no DT on the roster that had played, no OLB, one average oft injured CB, one capable safety, one tackle, plus one high paid bust tackle on his last chance, no center, one guard, only a second year TE who had been a disappointment

At WR they had only Amendola as a possible difference maker, and he had been hurt..

Their best player was aging, with no backups at all at RB

They had one star DE and one who still was a question mark his second year.
    They didn't hve a kicker OR a punter

NOW
    They have young stars at K and P
    Quinn has proven to be a real stud, while Long continues to excell, and they discovered a gem in HAyes and also Sims is good.
    Brockers and Langford filled the tackle spot and Cudjo continues to press for playing time.
    The cornerback position has two Pro Bowl caliber guys and anouther very good nickel back at low cost.
    They have a solid center, and a good guard prospect in Roc Watkins.
    They have three young backs with real talent
    Their young passer rebounded and stayed healthy

Now they have a great TE tandem
    Now they have Givens as a sure solid starter, and the immense talent of Quick, plus Pettis has emerged as a decent young NFL receiver with some upside.

Who thought the only real holes left would be a #1 WR IF those youngsters don't blossom, a right tackle (or left), one OLB, and two safeties, one if Stewart fulfills his previous promise, plus a dime corner and another DT.

They might need RB or backup QB if the young guys t hey are counting on don't come through as a unit.
    Really not that many holes at all, if the young guys come through especially, and some were highly drafted so they very well could.

When you have 6 of the top 50 picks, 5 if they make the playoffs with a 6th in th top 64, plus the rest of this year and all of next offseason to add free agents, those holes appear to be rather small, especially considering where the Rams were last January, with no extra #1 and #2 picks.

Injuries create hole of course, but the Rams do not stand to lose any FA next year, or even the next at least starters. They can franchise Saffold if he doesn't sign., or transition tag Dunbar.

They will have to re-sign Jenkins, at some point, but when he is due for UFA, Finnegan's big deal will be nearing an end.

After this draft, the WR problem, if there is one, should be a strength, and they will no doubt add another CB, a G, a starting caliber safety, another DT, another RB, and a high pick OLB.

If they can hit on 5 picks, the only problem for that 2014 draft will be what to use the two #1 picks on.

One almost surely will be OT, if Saffold isn't signed , but they might be in really tremendous shape, so much they could even do a New England and trade picks for picks the next year that could be very high ones by trading with teams that might be very bad.

The job Demoff, Fisher and Snead have done this far is nothing short of remarkable, considering what they inherited. I think they are a year ahead of schedule already, because they filled so many holes with good young players last year, who are signed long term mostly.
    live4ramin likes this.
    Barry Waller

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I know the Rams still have a ways to go this off season to fleshout a team. Score cards todate is down 2 offensive weapons with one pickup in Cook, so its just (-1) thus far and that ain't bad--rather not see the Rams in the Ravens possition--haha! Spent a boat load of $$$ on a QB who really is barely in the top 10 of QBs and a team depleted by free agency.

Right now everything appears to be in slow motion and we are left waiting in the wings of news. But what is surprising is the amount of interest and excitement Ram fans have. Thats because we all see the Rams being this close to rejoining the ranks of the elite teams. With such a young team, still wanting in talent on the O-line and perhaps a few more play makers on offense, the Rams where but 2 bad play calls from .500