Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: I'm going to say my peace, and then take a little break.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to say my peace, and then take a little break.

I'm disappointed with yesterday's loss, but I'm far more disappointed in the reaction of too many of the "fans" who post here.

Everyone on this board professes to have reasonable expectations and patience with young players and the team BEFORE THE GAME. However, AFTER THE GAME, suddenly that thought process goes out the window and the board gets littered with posts reflecting almost unfathomable stupidity.

In the last 20 hours, I've read posts proclaiming that Sam Bradford is never going to be anything more than a mediocre QB. I've read about how Brian Quick is a failure. I've read about how Daryl Richardson is superior to Steven Jackson. I've read condemnations of the coaching staff for calling a time out (despite the fact that not doing so would have resulted in a penalty). I've read about how yesterday's close game didn't matter because all losses are the same.

It seems like a significant portion of "fans" are so frightened of having their hopes dashed that they'd rather just condemn the team and then say "I told you so" every time something bad happens.

After three and one-half decades, I still enjoy being a Ram fan. However, after nearly a decade on this board, I'm not sure I can say the same about conversing with Ram fans at large after anything other than a convincing victory.

So, rather than spend the next few days responding to every idiotic doomsday post on this board, I'm just going to walk away for a few days.

I'll be back on Friday to post my "Av's Looking West" feature.

I hope that by then the naysayers will have crawled back into their holes and we will all be ready to look forward to this week's home opener against the Redskins.

See you then.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: I'm going to say my peace, and then take a little break.

I could not agree more. I expected to see more posts about how good things are looking for the future. Not many people or experts even expected the game to be close. We have play making corners again. A coach that obviousley has affected the attitude of this team in a positiev way for the first time in a long time.

Anyone saying Richardson is better than Jackson after watching only one run should just quit watching football.

Also the play where Fisher called a time out was a mistake by the referee. Go back and watch the play they stopped the game clock for about 10 seconds and then gave signal to roll the game clock. Meanwhile the play clock was running. Fisher was pleading his case but these replacement refs are garbage. We lost a close game on the road against a very tough opponent, how can you be doom and gloom about that?

I'm dissapointed and it was a tough loss but it's a lot easier to swallow than losing 41-10 which has been the norm for this team for a while.

By the way we kept the best wr in the league quiet for 4 quarters and only one pass given up by Dahl for a long gain enabled him to eclipse 100 yards recieving. Things are looking up, so how expectations could be high this year is beyondme we have 17 rookies playing significant roles this year.
    Last edited by rammiser; -09-10-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Truth and UK Ramfan 83 like this.
    Just Fix It

Rambos is offline Registered User

Daryl Richardson is superior to Steven Jackson
    Your an idiot read the thread don't try and spin it! take two idiot pills and come back in a Month!
    LA Rammer likes this.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

welcome to Therapy session..
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I really was surprise how positive the board was yesterday. Heck there was way more gloom and doom after the Dallas game IMO... Oh wait if I have a opinion that may qualify me as one who thinks they are an expert and knows more then the coaches... second thought I have no comment whats so ever.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

I understand your frustration, but it seems to me that a fan-forum is, among other things a place to vent after a loss or cheer after a win; anaylse the game as objectively as possible (Quick didn't play yesterday; Bradford made some bad decisions including tucking and running on the last play of the game rather than chucking it down-field and start saying the 'Hail Mary'); Fisher and his coordinators called a good game IMHO; and Jackson averaged 2.5 yds per carry (not pretty) and Richardson averaged 10.10 yards per carry (Richardson is obviously a better scat back and Jackson a power runner and the Rams don't have an 0-Line to support a power running game). I don't consider the aforementioned anything more than an honest (possibly correct or possibly incorrect) analysis of the game. I visit some other boards and the comments here were calm and analytical in comparison, which is one of the things I appreciate about ClanRam and am happy and honored to be a member.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I can co-sign for TorontoRam with board comparisons. It seems like Ram fans on other boards hate this team compared to here. I'm disappointed in the loss but its promising that we kept the game that close with an offense that didn't click until late.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

And, it someone wants a look at real 'flaming' and, 'trolling' on a board check out some of the Seahags fan forums. F-bombs fall like rain. I concur with RodRam and I don't pick up that posters on this board hate the Rams but when they win probably will point out the team's strengths and when they lose probably point out their shortcomings, which seems like a reasonable thing to do from an analytical point of view.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Members of this board demonstrating their thoughts and feelings about a loss is what makes this place interesting, regardless if I agree or not. Avenger is quick to call comments he disagrees with as 'unfathomably stupid' but to me it seems his childish attitude towards a frustrated and disappointed fan base is more the problem here.

EDIT:

I would like to add that I do agree with Avenger that there has been some stupid comments on this board.. but I think that is ok. Read them, shake your head and move on.
    Last edited by Holt Your Horses; -09-10-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Defence Wins Championships

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

I think for a lot of folks its just the SOSAR syndrome. I hate using that term, but its the only way I can describe it. I think that when you are so used to losing, losing bad, and seeing your players and coaches make dumb decisions, you develop that mentality. Any little thing that goes the slightest bit wrong, they are going to harp on it and probably blow it out of proportion.

Me personally, I was stoked during and after the game yesterday. Yes it sucks to lose, especially when you came so close to an upset of a good team at their house, but I saw a new toughness with our Rams. I saw an intelligent coach and players that have the ability to recognize the tendencies of a team and exploit them. That pick six of Finnegan's was a thing of beauty. He knew the tendencies of Stafford and was smart enough to make a big play.

These are the new Rams. They are tough, intelligent, and they are going to be around for a while. Will they make a few mistakes along the way? Sure. But those mistakes will become fewer and fewer. I'm very excited about the future. Give it some time guys. I know its hard to wait when you have been waiting for so long, but I feel confident we are finally headed in the right direction.
    live4ramin and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Members of this board demonstrating their thoughts and feelings about a loss is what makes this place interesting, regardless if I agree or not. Avenger is quick to call comments he disagrees with as 'unfathomably stupid' but to me it seems his childish attitude towards a frustrated and disappointed fan base is more the problem here.
    +1

People are showing frustration because of how much it stings to lose, it shows that they care. People are different by nature - some people are resilient and optimistic, they can be frustrated about the loss but can move on quickly and look forward to next week. Other people dwell on the coulda, woulda, shoulda and become mired in gloom and doom. Different outlooks are going to be based on different personalities and on differences in honest evaluations of the Rams future.

But what binds them all is a passion for the Rams. People are upset because it hurts when the Rams lose. In my book, that emotional reaction is what makes you a fan. If you weren't a fan, if you didn't truly care and weren't committed, you cashed out circa 2008. Don't confuse frustration with indifference.
    Rambos, Richbert88 and PARamfan like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Interesting that you chose the spelling of "peace" vs. "piece" in the thread tile given the nature of the posts thereafter.

I'm optimistic about our team and have no high expectations about this season as it will take more time to build our team. I feel that while we could have won yesterday, we'll likely win a game this year where we should have lost, that's the NFL. Just glad the season is underway and we get to watch our team in action!

Go Rams!

rammmm is offline Registered User

Where is my post on this thread?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rammmm View Post
    Where is my post on this thread?
    I found it. It's here.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: all of this

As usual I think we should all be striving for that utopian middle ground of reasonableness and spirited discussion but I understand that there are people who aren't wired that way - people react violently; they show passion. Sometimes people say dumb things because they're hurt or sick of it all or a bit drunk on the internet.

I try to take the good with the bad. Yes, people said some dumb things yesterday, but at the end of the day it's probably better that they said them to a bunch of other dudes saying dumb things on a message board than to their loved ones or their wives or their girlfriends.

My advice?

Relax. Everyone. It's all good.

Also, f*ck Tom Brady.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast