AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm not happy, but I'm not giving up hope.

I'm not happy with the way this season is now going. The defense, which showed signs earlier in the season of being superior to last year's version, is getting crushed by the opposition. The offense looks very good, though there are still O line issues that need to be addressed.

But I'm not ready to give up. Due to the dearth of quality teams in the NFC, the Rams are still in the thick of the playoff race. If they can find a way to get back on the plus side of the turnover ratio in their next few games, they could even have a shot at winning the division (don't be shocked if the winner of the NFC West has a 9-7 record).

Don't get me wrong - this team is NOT a contender. But if they can pull together and make a run at the playoffs, I think that would be a great step toward what I hope (with some new defensive players added) could be a contender in 2007.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: I'm not happy, but I'm not giving up hope.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not happy with the way this season is now going. The defense, which showed signs earlier in the season of being superior to last year's version, is getting crushed by the opposition. The offense looks very good, though there are still O line issues that need to be addressed.

But I'm not ready to give up. Due to the dearth of quality teams in the NFC, the Rams are still in the thick of the playoff race. If they can find a way to get back on the plus side of the turnover ratio in their next few games, they could even have a shot at winning the division (don't be shocked if the winner of the NFC West has a 9-7 record).

Don't get me wrong - this team is NOT a contender. But if they can pull together and make a run at the playoffs, I think that would be a great step toward what I hope (with some new defensive players added) could be a contender in 2007.
    I'm at the edge right now, mostly because this defense just hasn't shown me they care about doing their job. There is no hunger on this team, no killer instinct. I hear talk; "We have to stay in our gaps", "We have to tackle better", "We just didn't execute". Will they ever come around and show the fire that they had during the Denver game?
    I don't know; until they show me they can come out and sock the opposition in the mouth and take control of the game I'm afraid will continue to see more of the same.

I think it's time for the classic closed door meeting, and some one needs to step forward and push these guys.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I'm at the edge right now, mostly because this defense just hasn't shown me they care about doing their job. There is no hunger on this team, no killer instinct. I hear talk; "We have to stay in our gaps", "We have to tackle better", "We just didn't execute". Will they ever come around and show the fire that they had during the Denver game?
    I don't know; until they show me they can come out and sock the opposition in the mouth and take control of the game I'm afraid will continue to see more of the same.

I think it's time for the classic closed door meeting, and some one needs to step forward and push these guys.

you no what buddy I couldn't agree with you more......someone needs to light a FIRE under the Rams arses.... cause it aint happening right now and I'm tired of the lame excuses!!!!! BOYS come on will you!! wheres the spirit HEH!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

One of thoughts during the game yesterday was we need to repeat training camp, it appears that we forgot some basics or something. But then I am reminded that I did say this team would go 8 & 8 and that is what it is looking like wil happen.

I like most, wish they would win every game, but the reality is that they have a new head coach and some of the same players they had defficiencies with last year on defense. So really I shouldn't expect too much.

Finally we gave up the ball 3 times yesterday. It is really hard to come back from that, although I thought we were giving it a run for a while there. Hopefull we can work it out. I too have not lost all hope.

Sigh.....GO OAKLAND!!

Joe

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by majorram View Post
    you no what buddy I couldn't agree with you more......someone needs to light a FIRE under the Rams arses.... cause it aint happening right now and I'm tired of the lame excuses!!!!! BOYS come on will you!! wheres the spirit HEH!!

i also agree with that, who would you suggest get up and kick some butt, i think it should be Pisa, he just got the new contract,he wants to here so coming from him could start to motivate some of the guys who need to pick it up.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

We have two issues that need to be taken care of. My solutions, both come from an awsome football movie in my opinion (Remember the Titans).

1. We have trouble with the fundamental basics. We are dropping passes, blowing assignments, closing holes that we just created, fumbling, not picking of passes, not making tackles, getting no pressure weither we use the 4 man rush or the blitz.

Solution- We work em out until they are ready to puke, then we run them harder until they puke, then we keep running them. Make them do 3 a days in full contact. Your not going to win a game without the basics. And none of this red jersey crap. You want motivation you offensive linemen? How about seeing your qb on the ground every damn play!

2-We are doing absolutely nothing on defense. NOTHING!!!!!!!

Solution- We bench every starter for a game. Make them work their way back onto the field. That's motivation right there. If you just got benched because of your low level of play, you are not going to play badly. You are going to go out onto the field, play your heart out, and make sure that the other guy knows who you are.

Incase you couldn't tell I'm just a little bit upset with this defense.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    i also agree with that, who would you suggest get up and kick some butt, i think it should be Pisa, he just got the new contract,he wants to here so coming from him could start to motivate some of the guys who need to pick it up.
    I think members of the Clan need to make a special visit to Rams Park this week and express our displeasure with the ENTIRE organization.

Who's with me?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by majorram View Post

Yea....thats how I felt towards the Denver game. I felt like the defense had a spark, and they WANTED to show they were good, and after they beat that good team, it seemed as if they just didn't care anymore. What a shame, if they played with the intensity of the Denver game (although, the D wasn't THAT good, but I think we can all agree, we'd take that D over the one from last year.), we could have a lot more W's and a lot less L's...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But I'm not ready to give up. Due to the dearth of quality teams in the NFC, the Rams are still in the thick of the playoff race.
    Good point. To be 4-4 after a few disappointing losses, but still very much alive in not only in the playoff hunt, but division race is encouraging. There are a lot of other teams in the NFC that are having problems, so it's wide open for who ever really wants it, including us.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I think members of the Clan need to make a special visit to Rams Park this week and express our displeasure with the ENTIRE organization.

Who's with me?
    ok, what time do we meet,can we hit happy hour first ?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

To get back to the original post...

We should not be too hard on the Rams right now. As was stated in another thread, six years of neglect on the defense is taking its toll.

No one, including me, should have expected better than 10-6 this year, and 8-8 sounds more realistic at this point.

We are a team that is REBUILDING. Players who were not a fit to the vision were let go, and new ones brought in. A lot of those new guys are short-term patches, otherwise they would not have 1 year contracts. We have a lot of rookies on the field, too. Throw 53 guys in the mix, try to teach them a new offense, a new defense, and get them used to each other...a few weeks isn't enough time to make a unit cohesive.

Think of it this way: Carbon. Carbon comes in many forms, like graphite. Graphite does a useful job, but is soft and slippery. Then you have coal...burns hot, really useful. However, there are different grades of coal, some more desired than others.

But the most valuable form of carbon is the diamond. A flawless diamond is a rare find. However, it takes a long time, lots of heat and pressure, to create a diamond.

Right now, we are coal. We have the ability to be hot, and every now and then, you may see a flash from a diamond crystal...but if you want the diamond, you have to give it time....let the coaching staff add the heat and pressure.