Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm officially on the Jerry Gray bandwagon.

While I'm not sure I buy the recent reports that suggest that the Rams have already started the decisionmaking process with respect to next year's head coach, I will say this...

I like the idea of Jerry Gray.

Here are my reasons:

1. Its clear that Mike Martz won't be back. Fair or not, the rift between Martz and the front office clearly is not good for the team, and Martz needs to move on at this point. I doubt he has a choice in the matter.

2. Gray is a former Ram who has a great history with the team.

3. Gray is a defensive minded coach - which I think is essential.

4. Gray is young enough to relate to today's players.

5. Gray is enough of a "hot commodity" that, if the Rams sign him, they'll have to give him some real power. He won't be a FO puppet (as I fear a guy like Vitt would be).

So, I'm avoiding the Christmas rush and joining the Graywagon right now!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: I'm officially on the Jerry Gray bandwagon.

I definitely think Gray would be one of the better coaching acquisitions we could make if the HC job opens up. I like him a lot better than guys like Cam Cameron or Donnie Henderson. Still have some questions about how he'd run things, but it seems like he's a very respected coordinator and has done well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Critical question for the rams "brain trust" regarding gray. Will he work cheap?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I'm all for him, not just because he's a former Ram, but IMO he has done a nice job with Buffalo's D.

I think he can instill that tough attitude that the RAMS D used to have. :clanram:

And maybe promote Henry Ellard to OC.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

majorram is offline Registered User

At least one good thing will come out of this, Marmie will be fired

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

gray might bring in some former Ram players and get these guys fired up!

rammiser is offline Registered User

I'd much rather have a guy like Jeff Fisher. He is a proven head coach and if it werent for salary cap woes the Titans wouldnt be struggling the way they are. He's defensive minded and could come here to a team with a stacked offense and do some damage. I like Gray but I'd rather have Fisher.
    Just Fix It

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Critical question for the rams "brain trust" regarding gray. Will he work cheap?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rams gotta pay him quite a bit more than hes making now or hes not coming.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

I sure wouldnt mind seeing Jeff Fisher take the HC job,but I dont see him leaving the Titans.
    If he does and we cant get him by all means hire Jerry Gray.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Guys i for one am not sold on Jeff Fisher!..........We had him here once as a DC and he didnt get the job done! he hasnt had a strong defense in quite some time either!

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Guys i for one am not sold on Jeff Fisher!..........We had him here once as a DC and he didnt get the job done! he hasnt had a strong defense in quite some time either!
    He has had very good Ds with the titans.

He.like us is going through salary cap hell and hes trying to rebuild.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    gray might bring in some former Ram players and get these guys fired up!
    I'd rather he bring in current Bills CB Nate Clements, who is currently playing under him and is a free agent this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    I'd much rather have a guy like Jeff Fisher. He is a proven head coach and if it werent for salary cap woes the Titans wouldnt be struggling the way they are. He's defensive minded and could come here to a team with a stacked offense and do some damage. I like Gray but I'd rather have Fisher.
    Is Fisher even going to be on the market? Most people knew going into this season that the Titans would be a poor team because of cap problems. I'm not sure he loses his job because of that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

fisher does know talent though .I'll give him that!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Count me on the bandwagon as well. I've got an old card of Jerry Gray with his helmet removed, showing off his jerry curls and mustache - money! You may also remember him from such video games as Tecmo Super Bowl for NES.

If we hire Gray, I would hope he'd retain Steve Fairchild to avoid the complications of retooling the whole offense [playbooks & personnel]. He's the type of guy that could definitely fire up the troops, and I love his attacking style of defense. He'd at least be able to shore up our porous pass defense.

His Bio:

PERSONAL: A native of Lubbock, TX, Gray holds a bachelor of science degree in speech communications from the University of Texas…he was a two-time consensus All-America and two-time Southwest Conference Defensive Player-of-the-Year as a safety at Texas in 1983 and ’84…was a 1st round pick in 1985 (21st overall) of the Los Angeles Rams…a member of the University of Texas’ All-Time Team and All-Decade Team for the 1980’s…lettered in football, basketball and track at Estacado High in Lubbock…was inducted into the Texas High School Hall of Fame in 1995 and was recently named to the All-Time Texas High School team…he and his wife, Sherry, have one son (Jeremy).

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Enters his fifth season as the Bills defensive coordinator with the majority of the defensive starting lineup returning…over last two years, Gray has molded the Bills into one of the most powerful attacking defenses in the League…in ’04, his defense finished in the top five in the NFL in touchdowns allowed (29), yards allowed per game (264.2), passing yards allowed per game (164.0), sacks registered (45) and led the League with 39 turnovers forced…Gray orchestrated a major defensive turnaround in 2003 when his defense finished the year ranked second in the NFL in total defense (second against the pass, eight against the run)…his defense also ranked fifth overall in points allowed in 2003…joined the Bills as defensive coordinator on February 7, 2001…prior to that spent the previous four seasons as an assistant at the Tennessee Titans, including the last two as defensive backs coach…helped Tennessee finish as the NFL’s #1 ranked pass defense and total defense in 2000 and also guided two All-Pro starters at each position in the Titans secondary…originally started with the Titans as the defensive assistant/quality control coach in 1997 before being elevated to the defensive backs position…broke into the coaching ranks in 1995 as the defensive backs coach at Southern Methodist University.

PLAYING EXPERIENCE: Played nine seasons in the NFL earning All-Pro honors four times…played with the Los Angeles Rams (1985-91), Houston Oilers (1992) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1993) before retiring…was a four-time Pro Bowler at cornerback (1986-89) with the Rams…finished with 28 career interceptions during his nine seasons in the NFL…posted a season-high eight interceptions in 1986, just his second year in the NFL…also named the NFL's Defensive-Back-of-the-Year in 1989 and earned MVP honors in the 1990 Pro Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Count me on the bandwagon as well. I've got an old card of Jerry Gray with his helmet removed, showing off his jerry curls and mustache - money! You may also remember him from such video games as Tecmo Super Bowl for NES.

If we hire Gray, I would hope he'd retain Steve Fairchild to avoid the complications of retooling the whole offense [playbooks & personnel]. He's the type of guy that could definitely fire up the troops, and I love his attacking style of defense. He'd at least be able to shore up our porous pass defense.

His Bio:

PERSONAL: A native of Lubbock, TX, Gray holds a bachelor of science degree in speech communications from the University of Texas…he was a two-time consensus All-America and two-time Southwest Conference Defensive Player-of-the-Year as a safety at Texas in 1983 and ’84…was a 1st round pick in 1985 (21st overall) of the Los Angeles Rams…a member of the University of Texas’ All-Time Team and All-Decade Team for the 1980’s…lettered in football, basketball and track at Estacado High in Lubbock…was inducted into the Texas High School Hall of Fame in 1995 and was recently named to the All-Time Texas High School team…he and his wife, Sherry, have one son (Jeremy).

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Enters his fifth season as the Bills defensive coordinator with the majority of the defensive starting lineup returning…over last two years, Gray has molded the Bills into one of the most powerful attacking defenses in the League…in ’04, his defense finished in the top five in the NFL in touchdowns allowed (29), yards allowed per game (264.2), passing yards allowed per game (164.0), sacks registered (45) and led the League with 39 turnovers forced…Gray orchestrated a major defensive turnaround in 2003 when his defense finished the year ranked second in the NFL in total defense (second against the pass, eight against the run)…his defense also ranked fifth overall in points allowed in 2003…joined the Bills as defensive coordinator on February 7, 2001…prior to that spent the previous four seasons as an assistant at the Tennessee Titans, including the last two as defensive backs coach…helped Tennessee finish as the NFL’s #1 ranked pass defense and total defense in 2000 and also guided two All-Pro starters at each position in the Titans secondary…originally started with the Titans as the defensive assistant/quality control coach in 1997 before being elevated to the defensive backs position…broke into the coaching ranks in 1995 as the defensive backs coach at Southern Methodist University.

PLAYING EXPERIENCE: Played nine seasons in the NFL earning All-Pro honors four times…played with the Los Angeles Rams (1985-91), Houston Oilers (1992) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1993) before retiring…was a four-time Pro Bowler at cornerback (1986-89) with the Rams…finished with 28 career interceptions during his nine seasons in the NFL…posted a season-high eight interceptions in 1986, just his second year in the NFL…also named the NFL's Defensive-Back-of-the-Year in 1989 and earned MVP honors in the 1990 Pro Bowl.

Like i said I'd take Jerry over Fish any day!....Also was a great corner for the Rams when he played! One of my all time favorites! Was the marshall on defense! Very smart player he was! still is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast