AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm Ready To Embrace The Underdog Role

The one bad thing (if you can call it that) about the GSOT years is that its not always fun to be the favorite.

Every team wants to take you down.
    Every loss is a major disappointment.
    Most accomplishments are not good enough.

There's something to be said for being the underdog. To watch a team emerge and to be able to say "I was with them when..."

I'm looking forward to seeing a young team, with some key veterans, a new leader and a renewed attitude.

I'm looking forward to watching the team exceed expectations.

I've accepted that the GSOT is over.

I can't wait to see what comes next.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: I'm Ready To Embrace The Underdog Role

Please refer to my avatar to see my feelings on this matter.

And I hope that as an Underdog, we get much better than "Sweet Polly Purebred". She was really a dog...

Seriously, I am also embracing this role. As Rams fans, we know we have the talent to be not only a contender, but THE Champions. Past history shows that the Rams will rise again.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Do you guys remember the thrill of '99? I'm not talking about the Super Bowl.....I'm talking about the first month, the first game even. We were nothing but a bunch of chumps with some AFL QB now starting. Then in week 1, we upset the Ravens, then the Falcons, then the Bengals. Then the mother of them all, we break the streak against the whiners and hang 42 on them. Top that off with another win over Atlanta, then Cleveland. Those were the first 7 weeks of the '99 season, and we were walking on clouds..........without ever sniffing the Super Bowl. We didn't "expect" anything. Every win was a special moment.

I agree.....it will be nice to get back to a simpler time when we don't allow ourselves to "expect" anything, and just appreciate everything.

It will be a cleansing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Do you guys remember the thrill of '99? I'm not talking about the Super Bowl.....I'm talking about the first month, the first game even.
    The very reason I became a Rams fan. No expectations, just the excitement.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you ask me, the most enjoyable regular season game I've ever watched was the first meeting between the Rams and San Fran in 1999. Going into the game, the Rams were "upstarts," that many thought would soon fall. After the game, Bill Walsh came up to Dick Vermiel and told him that the Rams would win it all that year.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If you ask me, the most enjoyable regular season game I've ever watched was the first meeting between the Rams and San Fran in 1999. Going into the game, the Rams were "upstarts," that many thought would soon fall. After the game, Bill Walsh came up to Dick Vermiel and told him that the Rams would win it all that year.
    That was my favorite game as well. Ah, the memories. Does anyone know if the 99 season can be purchased on DVD anywhere? I'd love to be able to relive those days once in a while.

I would prefer not to be an underdog, but, that's what we are. I too am looking forward to those pluses that Av mentioned. It may take time, but, I just hope we get this ship turned in the right direction from here instead of enduring further gaffs.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

I listened to the games on the radio at work, and you could feel the electricity of the game atmosphere every week. I can remember every TD score being met with my jaw bouncing off the floor during that game. I had that sucker cranked up, which, in a liquor store, is not the worst thing in the world.

I was working during the NFC Championship game, and remembered being sooooooooo excited the whole game, that I had customers stay inside while the final seconds ticked away. We were all screaming and going crazy....y'all would have had to be there to appreciate it.

I got to see the second half of the Superbowl (couldn't get out of work), and I remember crying right along with Vermiel after the win.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....memories.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Being the underdog definitely has some advantages and I certainly don't mind being in that role, but it sure was fun to have that swagger and attitude of being so explosive and dominant. Those were the days.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yes I remember!! I also remember Kurt taking a knee at the end of the game and the announcer saying: Who ever would have thought it: the Rams taking a knee against the *****?

Yes that game was sweet REALLY SWEET!!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

The squad will return to glory. We have an awful lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball and on the defensive side of the ball we have several guys with a shot at college scholarships.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

You guys had some bad luck this year...well a lot of bad luck. If you can keep the nucleus intact and retool quickly, then you should be very formidable next year. However, I don't see a return to the GSOT days, they are over. A defense is also needed, and badly.

I remember watching that Super Bowl, and cheering for the Rams (before my team moved into the division). I loved that they won. Great come from nowhere story that year.

Good luck next year, hope you guys give us a great challenge.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.