Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: I'm a realist

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm a realist

That phrase always makes me giggle a little when I hear it. And so this time of year, as you can imagine, there's a lot to laugh about.

That phrase...."I'm a realist".....has been used by countless numbers of fans, yours truly included. But here's the big newsflash:

Everyone considers themselves a "realist".

No fan is going to say "I'm an unrealist. I have no frickin' clue, and you should disregard my opinion as such." Hence, the reason I have to laugh when someone claims themselves to be a "realist". Guess what? We ALL are! It's the equivalent of saying "I'm the type of human that turns oxygen into carbon dioxide". Yea, you and 6 billion others on this big spinning ball.

So, what's really going on with that phrase? I'm sure there's all sorts of motive, but if we're being honest, most of the time that phrase is uttered in the author's attempt to display an opinion valued higher than others. "I'm a realist" is more detailed as "I'm a realist, which means my opinion is what will actually happen. That, of course, contrasts with everyone who disagrees with me; as they are by definition, unrealists."

And I'm absolutely right on this matter, because..........(wait for it, wait for it)..........................I'm a realist.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: I'm a realist

Huub - Thanks for keeping if real!!

I think the "realists" want to be able to say negative things and maintain an angelic presence.
    Just call a spade and spade and be done.
    ARF

rammiser is offline Registered User

I'm an unrealist, at least that's how all the realists make me feel.
    Just Fix It

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP
    I'm not a realist at all - I'm a hopelessly optimistic homer. Always have been.

Which is why getting crushed on a weekly basis brings out the nasty posts, (and also makes me write bad checks).

My dog heads for the doggie-door as soon as he hears the crowd noise at the opening kick-off.

Other than heroin, Harley's, architecture and red wine, the Rams are my only addiction, so I guess I'm actually ahead of the game. ;-).
    live4ramin and rammiser like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I wouldn't consider myself a realist but more of an optimist. This is a forum dedicated to the Rams so of course there'll always be that sense of confirmation bias where the hopeful fan will say a lot of good things about the team, which is fine. I just hope they've braced themselves if the worst comes this season.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I'm not a realist at all - I'm a hopelessly optimistic homer. Always have been.

Which is why getting crushed on a weekly basis brings out the nasty posts, (and also makes me write bad checks).

My dog heads for the doggie-door as soon as he hears the crowd noise at the opening kick-off.

Other than heroin, Harley's, architecture and red wine, the Rams are my only addiction, so I guess I'm actually ahead of the game. ;-).
    Thank you for your honesty and showing that there is a reason people consider themselves realists.

And thanks for pointing out that Hub is innaccurate when he says that we are all realest. If that were the case, there'd be no hopeless optimistic homers.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I am unrealistic.....I believe the Rams will improve each and every year.
    rammiser and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I don't think I'm a realist but I keep it real.
    Agrajag likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Can I be a surrealist?

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Thank you for your honesty and showing that there is a reason people consider themselves realists.

And thanks for pointing out that Hub is innaccurate when he says that we are all realest. If that were the case, there'd be no hopeless optimistic homers.
    Quite the contrary actually. Vegas has illustrated the difference between what we hope will happen and what we think will happen. As a (as he says) completely optimistic homer, Vegas expresses what he wants and hopes to see. However, when Vegas opines about what he actually sees happening, he does so as a realist. There's a difference.

The point has only been further proven.......when anyone gives a serious analysis of the present or speculation of the future, they do so as a realist. Claiming one's opinion as one of a realist does nothing to differientiate it from any other opinion. It makes the author feel better, but offers nothing additional to the discussion.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Like I said, I'm a realist, 4-12 (unless a miracle takes place homie)!

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Like I said, I'm a realist, 4-12 (unless a miracle takes place homie)!
    ---giggle, giggle---

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Well, you're right a "homer" is not a realist. And I have described others here as appologists too, which of course aren't realists, but anytime I used these words to define someone I have regretted it afterwords. It not only devided them from me, but me from them; and thats not why I come here.

Now, here I have distracted from the lightheartedness that was running through this thread, and it is the humor and comroderie that I look for on this channel.

You attornies and your words......
    Let the hype begin.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Here's what you get when you mix a homer with realism:

Not pretty, is it?
    Nick and live4ramin like this.

Well, you're right a "homer" is not a realist. And I have described others here as appologists too, which of course aren't realists
    Only because they describe two different things. Actually, a homer is also a realist. And (here I'm going to blow some minds) a pessimist is a realist.

Homer, optimist, pessimist, fair-weather, fickle, rosy.......all fans, and all are realists. Every last one of them. They may think the team is great. They may think the team sucks. But either way (and everything in between) is an opinion that they think is accurate.

Everyone is a realist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast