Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I'm sick of cover 2

Cover 2, Cover 3, soft zone, bend but don't break, whatever you want to call it, the Rams players in the secondary are not implementing it well.

At times they lack discipline to stay within their assignments and quite often they do not seem to be on the same page with each other. The cushion they give WR's is often huge. Schottenheimer has a glossy resume' but he lacks talented personnel with the Rams unit.

I seriously doubt it will happen, but I would like to see the Rams implement more man coverage schemes. Bring some Blitz packages and let the DB's go man. Attack the offense. I don't see how it can be any worse than what we have seen thus far.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Re: I'm sick of cover 2

Agree. Clearly the secondary is not our strength. We can drop 4, 5, 6, or 7 and still not adequately cover receivers. To some extent the problem is short DBs against tall receivers, but lack of talent and poor execution plays into it as well.

If you can’t cover, you gotta get pressure on the QB. Lots of pressure, and quickly! You can’t sit back and let the other team’s offense continue to march up and down the field at will (i.e. against the G-Strings).

Blitz whatever it takes to get pressure. Yes, it’s a gamble, but the alternative allowed the G-Strings to hang 44 on us. All those points were scored by the G-Strings Offense against our Defense, no slop points from special teams.

MARMIE WAKE UP – IF IT AIN’T WORKING, TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT !!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I guess then it's pick your poison.

1. Our secondary is very weak so we drop six or seven back and just rush our front four. That really hasn't worked as we are getting torched through the air.

2. Blitz LB's or a S and LB's and leave our corners to their own devices. Get torched through the air again if we don't hit the QB.

I'm just about leaning to number 2 this week with the Seahawks WR's hurting.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One thing about blitzing: you very well may get burned if the QB can find his hot read, however when you do get good pressure, the chances of turnovers increase dramatically. In the 1st quarter it makes sense to see how well your "front four" does against the opposing O-line as in some matchups you may get adequate pressure BUT, if they aren't getting it done -- by all means turn the dogs loose! After all .... isn't that what other teams finally figured out against us to slow down the GSOT?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Yep Ferter, the cover 2 does not seem to be working, especially with almost no pass rush to speak of. It looks as though both Engram and Jackson will not be playing on Sunday, so I say take chances and attack, attack, attack. The main problem I see is Alexander getting by the blitz on draws or screens and picking up huge chunks of yardage. Maybe all that tackling experience our secondary has will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Maybe all that tackling experience our secondary has will come in handy.

LOL LOL LOL

RDU
    RDU is offline Registered User

What i can't understand is the fact that all we saw through preseason was blitzing. And the D looked good out there (apart from SD) Why stop when it counts ??? Pressure on the QB makes life easier for our DB's, who by their own recognition, are struggling

But in defense of Marmie, i did see a fair bit of blitzing in SF, and Rattay looked like Montana out there.

Oh BTW....I picked up on a new one last night while watching NFL Network.....

Cover 8

:football: