Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm Sick And Tire Of Hearing the Offense Making Excuses

I've been reading various articles about why the offense has been struggling to put up points this year. People have blamed everyone from Marc Bulger, to the offensive line, to Torry Holt, to Orlando Pace, etc. For me it all boils down to the play calling.

The biggest problem that I am seeing is that our rivals only see Torry Holt as our main receiving threat. This is because the Rams offense under Al Saunders has been an epic disappointment so far. The play calling is extremely predictable and unimaginative. I'm getting tired of seeing the same old, run on first down and/or second down. Then go to the play action pass for a deep one to Avery. If Avery's not open, throw a swing pass to the TE/Rb underneath.

The Rams have to start using Holt and Avery on the deep plays alternatively to setup the guys underneath. Get more guys like Burton, Hall and even Bechet evolved in the passing game to keep the opposing defense's off balanced. Eventually Holt will see a few less double teams as we continue to show more and more looks using different players. Bennett needs to forced into a bigger role when he gets healthy or he needs to get the hell out of St. Louis. I'm tired of seeing the Rams baby this guy.

As for Holt, he's NOT getting open very often from what I'm seeing. It's time he stops relying on the success of his past and starts being productive in a new system when he is asked to, be it a deep route or not.

Most importantly, too many of the fans and veteran players are stuck in the glory days of the past, we have to evolve to the situation we are in now if we want to stay competitive or it won't matter who we bring in to run the offense. The reality is as long as we have a super star back like Steven Jackson this will be a run first offense. I'm just baffled that they can't find better ways to use him to create ways to get the receivers open.

GO RAMS!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: I'm Sick And Tire Of Hearing the Offense Making Excuses

But Holt is getting doubled. You throw deep to the guy who has a corner underneath and a safety over the top, and you're risking an interception. If he's not getting open very often, I don't think it's a good idea to make a point to throw deep on his side more often.

I completely disagree about the play-calling being predictable and unimaginative. We've tried screens that get squashed at the line of scrimmage. We've let Avery run the ball. One week we'll come out and run a bunch of three receiver sets; the next we come out with extra tight ends for protection more. On Jackson's long run for a TD against Dallas, we had Adam Goldberg, an offensive tackle, switch places with the tight end so he could get over and seal the edge for a run down the sideline.

We did throw to the new tight end, Fells, last game. He just didn't reel in the balls thrown his way. Dante Hall had some important catches last game, too. In fact, he was second on the team in receiving yards against New England with 4 catches for 47 yards. Avery had 6 catches in that game, Holt had 3, Antonio Pittman had 3, and Burton had 2. That seems like a pretty fair distribution.

It seems to me that the problem here isn't that we're not spreading the ball around; it's that we're not completing the intended passes. And that the offensive line keeps putting us in 3rd and long situations with stupid penalties. And that the line can't set up a screen properly or get a push on short yardage situations or pick up a blitz coming through the middle of the line. It seems all too often we see a center or guard blocking air or flailing behind the guy gunning straight for our quarterback. Come to think of it, there are a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    But Holt is getting doubled. You throw deep to the guy who has a corner underneath and a safety over the top, and you're risking an interception. If he's not getting open very often, I don't think it's a good idea to make a point to throw deep on his side more often.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, but the point that I was trying to make is that we seem to go into every game with the same offensive game plan.

There is more then one way to make a team pay for double teaming Torry Holt, or loading seven in the box to stop Jackson. But, you can only use the same trick so many times. I constantly see the same repeated "screen passes" and "play actions" calls on third and long. Why do you think New England was able to shut down our offense in the second half? Was it because the players didn't execute or because the Patriots defense wasn't dumb enough to fall for the same old trick that had a slight variation added to it?

Truth is offline Registered User

I think the execution of the plays called, rather than the plays themselves is really the issue.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree that the offense has to get more done, but for many of the reasons Goldenfleece noted, we're going to struggle until the line gets their act together. Right now they are not an effective working unit and make too many undisciplined mistakes at critical times. I've got to believe things will get better over time, but for now, playcalling and offensive execution will only progress if the guys up front improve and mesh. Getting Jackson back wouldn't hurt either.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I've been reading various articles about why the offense has been struggling to put up points this year. People have blamed everyone from Marc Bulger, to the offensive line, to Torry Holt, to Orlando Pace, etc. For me it all boils down to the play calling.

The biggest problem that I am seeing is that our rivals only see Torry Holt as our main receiving threat. This is because the Rams offense under Al Saunders has been an epic disappointment so far. The play calling is extremely predictable and unimaginative. I'm getting tired of seeing the same old, run on first down and/or second down. Then go to the play action pass for a deep one to Avery. If Avery's not open, throw a swing pass to the TE/Rb underneath.

The Rams have to start using Holt and Avery on the deep plays alternatively to setup the guys underneath. Get more guys like Burton, Hall and even Bechet evolved in the passing game to keep the opposing defense's off balanced. Eventually Holt will see a few less double teams as we continue to show more and more looks using different players. Bennett needs to forced into a bigger role when he gets healthy or he needs to get the hell out of St. Louis. I'm tired of seeing the Rams baby this guy.

As for Holt, he's NOT getting open very often from what I'm seeing. It's time he stops relying on the success of his past and starts being productive in a new system when he is asked to, be it a deep route or not.

Most importantly, too many of the fans and veteran players are stuck in the glory days of the past, we have to evolve to the situation we are in now if we want to stay competitive or it won't matter who we bring in to run the offense. The reality is as long as we have a super star back like Steven Jackson this will be a run first offense. I'm just baffled that they can't find better ways to use him to create ways to get the receivers open.

GO RAMS!!!

I agree. What we basically do is:

1st down: Run up the middle.
    2nd down: Run to the outside.
    3rd down: Try a deep pass to Avery.

I do agree that there have been some more flashy plays we have called, including the Avery runs. But, we have to have more diverse looks.
    Try coming out on 1st down with 3 or 4 recievers. Get the ball to the playmakers more. I know Jackson wasn't playing last game, which was a huge deciding factor on the outcome of the game. If we get Jackson back this week, we would have one of our most potent weapons on the field.

But, I think a lot of the reasons why we cannot get a lot of passes completed is because of the o-line. Bulger just does not have enough time to throw. You have to give him at least enough time to concentrate and throw the ball to the intended target.

It's difficult to make big plays when our o-line are getting their butts creamed on the line of scrimmage.

But, I want Saunders to start calling better plays on 1st and 2nd downs.

One thing I want to add is, the playcalling in the endzone really ticks me off. We have to call plays that actually have a possibility for the ball to get in the endzone. We settle for field goals way too much. I'm not hating on Josh Brown here, I think he is a great kicker, but I would love it we would hear less of him, and of Donnie Jones too. Having less punts and field goals are a positive thing. Touchdowns or Field goals, I would rather pick touchdown.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

We do better out of the red zone than in it. Everytime we get to like the 40-30 yd line just thow it in there. Flea flickers, have Josh Brown play action kick to Avery, or a reverse. Anything to avoid the red zone cuz this is where we truly suuuck!!!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I think the execution of the plays called, rather than the plays themselves is really the issue.
    Related: 2007 Season

2007 season = injuries = 3-13 season. That excuse isn't flying for me this year.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Interesting topic.

Last year, while many fans were jumping for joy in the streets about the hiring of Saunders, I was mostly reserved. I posted my concerns over the hiring of Saunders at the time.

I still feel that the biggest part of his success in KC was due to a very good offensive line. And it still looks as though the trend, I noticed last year, of young OC's having the most success in the NFL is holding true for the most part.

Those concerns aside I think there has been too much inconsistency with overall execution to completely lay blame on Saunders playcalling.

At some point in time I think those who continue to let bulger off the hook need to take a long hard look at him being the offensive team leader in lack of execution. He's simply not getting the job done. His execution is extremely inconsistent and he fails on too many of the opportunities that he has to make plays. And personally, as a fan, I'm sick and tired of that.

TheRAMster is offline Registered User

I think that we need to bench Mark Bulger. Here's why:

1.) He's never aware of the pass rush.
    2.) He locks on to a receiver and gives the play away.
    3.) He does'nt check down his receivers.
    4.) He takes too many sacks instead of getting rid of the ball.

If he would check more for other open receivers, then he would be more aware of the pass rush because he would see more of the field. Most of his sacks come from his blind side because he's counting to 7 before he releases the ball when you really only get about 3 seconds befroe containment is broken.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRAMster View Post

If he would check more for other open receivers, then he would be more aware of the pass rush because he would see more of the field. Most of his sacks come from his blind side because he's counting to 7 before he releases the ball when you really only get about 3 seconds befroe containment is broken.

You're right we should bench Bulger and Jackson so everyone can shut the hell up about them. I'm sure Green and Pittman will lead this team to the promised land. Look at the flying pigs daddy arent they pretty.
    Just Fix It

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I'm sure there is a torrent of the Buffalo game somewhere. Watch that and come back to us.

TheRAMster is offline Registered User

I watched the game first hand and i think we lost that game because we didnt want Linnehan as our coach anymore. I think Trent Green does a better job of checking down receivers.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I watched the game first hand and i think we lost that game because we didnt want Linnehan as our coach anymore. I think Trent Green does a better job of checking down receivers.
    Yeah. Except I with my horrible depth perception and eyesight have a better aim than he does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast